Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou (Update 8/24pm) aka swimmers rejoice;)
Quote | Reply
My dear wife and I just rolled in to Louisville this afternoon. The Ohio river is looking very clean and clear at the momment but:

The current temperature of the river as measured at depths ranging from 18" to 6' in the area in front of Joe's Crab shack was a very consistant and uniform 85.3 degrees Fahrenheit today at 6:30pm.

The air temperature was still a nice toasty 96 F. at the same time.

The local forecast is for daytime highs in the mid to high 90s until Saturday and nightly lows in the high seventies.

Looks like a possible Yippie for swimmers!

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Aug 24, 07 16:00
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I love saying "nice swim" as I blow by on the bike or seeing you floppy ankled fish wilting in the heat on the run ... Unfortunately, the weather is going to suck, so throw some expected times out the window!

Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhh, even as a swimmer I would not be too hip in swimming in 85.3 degree water. That's just plain hot.

I hear ya though, it will be a benefit for sure, since the wetsuit weenies won't have thier little flotation assistants adorn.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah - I love saying "nice swim" as I blow by on the bike or seeing you floppy ankled fish wilting in the heat on the run ... Unfortunately, the weather is going to suck, so throw some expected times out the window!
85 is bit hot like the senior or kids pool at the Y.
But probably a few degrees cooler in the actual channel and with some scattered showers saturday might be low 80's
But forecasts are talking about mid 80's sunday so weather actual is gonna be cool especially since we've seen over 100 if you count heat index for almost 4 weeks here in memphis couple weeks over 100 without heat index.
course would rather it not rain (raw sewage....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the weather is going to suck"… "the wetsuit weenies"... "(raw sewage....)"
You just gotta love those positive vibes we have come to love here at ST!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must be right because everyone else is "On My Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may have been asked already but is 85 degree water temp normal for this time of year? If so what were they thinking by holding a race there.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares how warm the water is or what the ambient air temperature is? We signed up for this race knowing full well that it was to be held in August. I am sorry that some of you find the conditions might be less than ideal for you to earn your Kona spot on this day. Get over it and race!

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may have been asked already but is 85 degree water temp normal for this time of year? If so what were they thinking by holding a race there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it is sold out...so I think they made a good business decision and making a ton of money.

My question would be "what were you thinking signing up for an IM race in Kentucky in August when the weather always sucks?"

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, because this is WTC and NOT IM NA or NA Sports or whatever Frazier's company is now called. The only other IM they do is Kona where the water temps are the same! Funny how the temp will be similar (actually hotter) then Kona, but the landscape (esp the swim) couldn't be any different!

Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you saying we won't be able to look at tropical fish while we swim?

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right ... I did hear that WTC is having Tom Ziebart dumping a bunch of tropical fish in the swim lane out of some Gatorade bottles ... not that you could see much past your hand!

Quote | Reply
i am thinking of doing the swim in a speedo just to crack people up and get inside their heads...I think laughing about it might ease some of the pre race nerves...the jury's still out.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with a speedo for a long, hot swim! Hell, I might just wear one as well. I'm sure not springing for a "speedsuit" to save 30 secs and look crazy, that is for sure - but I'm sure I will see a bunch there!

Quote | Reply
all STers in speedos...that would be hilarious! and everyone grow a moustache. Big Zach might switch his race plan to show up if we all do it.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the speedo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, because this is WTC and NOT IM NA or NA Sports or whatever Frazier's company is now called.

Rod,

It's North American Sports or NAS and it's Graham Fraser.

As for the potential conditions in Louisville - Yikes, is all I can say. As you said, you can toss just about every time-goal out the window if it's going to be that hot in the water and on the land.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuesday morning (8/21) update at 6:40am in front of Joe' Crab shack

Air temperature - 80 F.

Water temperature from 18" to 8' depth- 84.6 F.

It was windy all night with white caps this morning.

The sky was mostly cloudy at this time with very little light for an open water swim. One might hope that the swim buoys will have lights on them as conditions are too dim for color vision.

Rain started at 6:50 cutting visibility to a few hundred yards.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honey, you'll be lucky to even see your hand in that water! :) will you also run in said speedo?
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live in Louisville - and we have just set a record for consecutive days above 90 (at 22). We've set several high temp records in that period (one day 105). But - the forecast for race day - the best temps we've had in more than a month. We are getting rain today - first real rain in a while - so that will help river temps too.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]honey, you'll be lucky to even see your hand in that water! :) will you also run in said speedo?[/reply]

Swim in Speedo - sure

Run in Speedo - ah, NO

:)

Quote | Reply
somebody once said something along the line of:
when it's cold (50s) you run against the clock;
when it's hot you run against the other guy.

Quote | Reply
Already have the moustache. Might have to break out the gray and black plaid speedo I got in Austria several years ago. At 85 Deg. a speedo sounds good to me!
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [bermudabill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
somebody once said something along the line of:
when it's cold (50s) you run against the clock;
when it's hot you run against the other guy.

Perfect!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Current Ohio River temp at IM Lou aka swimmers rejoice;) [TriBrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"the weather is going to suck"… "the wetsuit weenies"... "(raw sewage....)"
You just gotta love those positive vibes we have come to love here at ST!
Amen! He can't help himself. I really even questioned why he bothers himself with these things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is that with all the rain from Cincy up thru the Berg and the East coast yesterday it will be VERY interesting to see what the Ohio River is going to look like in about 2-3 days. Remember, what happens up river will make it rise in 2-3 days. I am guessing that it will be very very different conditions by Thursday. Hope there is no more rain or it could get ugly IMO.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Last edited by: infinIT 1: Aug 21, 07 7:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next