Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Doug Stern Sternisms
Quote | Reply
Its cleo, Doug Stern's daughter. I know a lot of you on here don't know my dad personally, some of you do. But I don't have access to everyone he has ever met so I thought this might be worth a shot.

A Sternism is pretty much any memorable saying/story/etcetc typical of Doug. If anyone has any, I think he would really like to here them, and that other people appreciate Sternisms (asap).

My personal favorites are "fuck you--keep moving" and "cleo, you're being an asshole".
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern Sternisms [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have nothing like your examples, but this is what I thought of Dougs post. There never was a dumb question!
No matter what was asked, or how it was asked, he would also give the best answer he could in a very very
positive supporting way. So few people have this "gift"!! But your Dad sure does.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Jun 22, 07 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The classic Sternism has got to be: "This is your ass, this is your elbow... learn the difference.!"

Another interesting little verbal quark Doug has is he can't say the word "forward" correctly to save his butt. When Doug says "forward" it sounds like "phoww-ARD"
He can't seem to get that first "r" in there.

The best Sternism of all though, and the one that has driven me forward whenever I think of the man since the day I first met him, is his incredible epidemic of positive thought. He has the "abundance mentality"- an eternal optimist and forward (phoww-ard?) thinker. Everything is a possibility- an opportunity with Doug.

If I had half the man's drive and enthusiasm I be ten times the person I am. Doug is a very, very fine man.

My best to you Cleo, your brother and Mrs. Stern in addition to Doug. Take good care of him. I miss you and the whole Curacao/NYC crowd.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also like this one.
---------------------------------
"Then the thought came back- fuck you, keep moving. The little train that could, could. I'm moving forward again."

CLASSIC!!!!

PS: When I start dragging on a long ride or run I think about Doug and just say to myself. "fuck you, keep moving" I was going to tell my wife that on a ride last week but thought better of that idea.....Kept it to myself.

Hope Doug and your family are doing ok. We wish him well.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jun 22, 07 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern Sternisms [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is always this one:

"OK, people.... PEOPLE.... GET IN THE WATER!"

And this one:

"OK, people, notice: The waves are taking you up and down... uuupppppp and dooowwwnnn.... they aren't pulling you under. Now, let's continue swimming!"

And finally:

"Quite playing with your f*@#ing goggles!"

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the things that he said often (ok, yelled often ;-) at the clinic I took with him, was simply.

"GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!!"

(if any of us attempted to linger to catch a breath.)

I still sometimes say that to myself if I catch myself dawdling during a workout.

Give Doug my best!
He's the kinda guy that after having known him only for a short time, you feel like he's an old friend.
And that's all because of him, and the interest he takes in people.
-Mike B.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern Sternisms [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that same vein, from an early post of his:

"There are times when I think I am living in a vacuum. I am yelling but no one hears me."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Notice what you notice."

"I kicked 2000 yards yesterday, it was great!"

4 weeks ago he gave me a form tip to solve an aching shoulder. Yesterday when I told him it worked, I got the typical "Of course it worked!".

Doug, my arches cramp when I swim, what should I do? "Swim more". I walked right into that one.

"We'll only do the chicken wing drill once"

JM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about swim clinic photos from Curacao? I don't have any, but just wondering if that might be something else you're looking for. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words!
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern Sternisms [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some images from Doug's camp in Curacao.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We invite you to post a get well message to Doug, please click here.

A good friend of mine is sick and this is his get well card.
Doug Stern is a guy from New York City who teaches swimming and runs a triathlon training camp on the island of Curacao in the Dutch Antilles every January.
I’ve been to Doug’s camp in Curacao seven times. In those seven years I’ve learned a lot about swimming from Doug, and even more about life and myself from him.
Doug is a teacher by trade. He used to teach school, now he teaches people about swimming. Like all people who were born to teach Doug has a way of teaching you about yourself no matter what the subject is. Doug is one of those rare characters with the talent and wisdom to inspire and challenge people. As a result he has a magnetic personality; people flock to him. There is no more attractive quality in a person than the charisma and intellect to always appear in command, and Doug has that quality.
I first met Doug Stern after seeing an article in Triathlete Magazine about his training camp in Curacao. I had never heard of Curacao and couldn’t even pronounce the name of island until I called Doug to ask about the camp. A few months latter this guy from New York was standing on the beach in the Caribbean yelling at me. He was pointing to his elbow and his buttocks in rapid succession shouting, “This is your ass, this is your elbow- learn the difference!”
The article in Triathlete about Curacao was written by author and neurologist Oliver Sacks. Sacks has been a regular at Doug’s Curacao camp for a number of years and is one of the colorful people that flock to Doug for that rare, special brand of inspiration and motivation. Oliver occasionally reads excerpts from his books to a rapt audience during breaks in the action at Doug’s camps. This type of spectacle is typical of Doug’s gatherings: Interesting people, interesting ideas and interesting places, all brought together under the Stern umbrella.
The trip to Curacao has always attracted an eclectic crowd of fascinating personalities. On my yearly excursion to Curacao I’ve met instructor pilots for the Concorde, Wallstreet traders, physical therapists, two Olympic Gold Medalists, doctors, detectives, authors, race directors, even salesmen who sell Airbus airliners to foreign countries. This is the crowd Doug attracts. Doug’s clients in his New York swim and Deep Water Running Classes are almost all repeat customers; same with the people on the Curacao trip. We all keep coming back for more of Doug’s quirky humor, sagacious insights and simple, up beat philosophy. Curacao has become a reunion of sorts for the Stern fans who make the annual sojourn from around the world to the Dutch Antilles. One person on this year’s trip commented that we have become a family of sorts. Doug is the foster parent of this ad-hoc family and I suspect we are not the only group he has fostered.
This year the government of Curacao honored Doug and his liaison in Curacao, Ramey, for their contribution to raising awareness and building tourism in Curacao over the last decade. Doug’s camps have circulated over 400 people through the Lion’s Dive Hotel in Curacao for his triathlon training camp.
In never fails that by the time I get to Curacao every year my wick has been burned at both ends until little is left. I need a dose of Stern. Doug has an infectious enthusiasm for life that pervades everything he does and everyone he is around. I need a recharge and Doug Stern always provides it.
For the first couple years I went to Curacao and told Doug, “I am a rotten swimmer. Always have been, always will be.”
Doug was quick to point out the first opportunity to improve was to change that mindset. “You are an improving swimmer, a swimmer ready to be better.” Doug re-calibrated my thinking through his philosophy and through a carefully orchestrated set of challenges that increased throughout the week designed to systematically raise the bar all the time you think you’re on vacation. It’s learning and growth through fun, Doug Stern style.
To Doug Stern, everything is an opportunity. Doug teaches swimming to adults who have never been in the water. He teaches people who have never been in the ocean that there is little to be afraid of, but much to respect. I’ve seen him lead a group of newbie swimmers through rough, open water swims that would challenge a Navy SEAL and get everyone back to the beach with smiles on their faces. I’ve seen more people overcome their apprehension about open water swimming under Doug’s tutelage than I can count. Doug has also opened our eyes to a simple, adapted method of swimming founded on proven techniques both old and new. And of course, no one understands motivation, education and inspiration like Stern does.
Doug also has a way of reducing the most complex challenges to summary. He speaks in staccato sentences. He is one of those guys who can rattle off a simple solution to a complex problem in under a New York minute. It’s another reason people flock to him.
“Doug,” people tell him, “I am so afraid of the water, what about the sharks, the jellyfish, the waves?”
“Simple”, He tells them. “Get in the water and swim.” Coming from Doug it is that simple. This is your ass, this is your elbow. Learn the difference.
Today Doug faces a challenge that many faiths tell us is only allocated to a spirit strong enough to rise to it. He has cancer. But cancer doesn’t have him. Doug battles the treatment, battles the disease. I bet Doug sees cancer as some sort of opportunity to rise above- to become stronger. He is a man accustomed to a fit body. The challenges of disease and its treatment have changed his physical configuration temporarily. But inside, he fights on, working for the opportunity to be better. I read posts on Internet forums about Doug, the updates and the well-wishes. I can hardly reply to them with just, “Get well Doug”, there is more to be said about this guy. There is more to Doug than simply best wishes on a get-well card. During the past few weeks when Doug posts on forums I sense he has good days and days that are, in a Stern-ism, opportunities for better days. Such is the nature of his affliction. The nature of Doug Stern is that for every tough day he faces, he will face one additional better day of his own manufacture, the product of his indomitable spirit and unflagging tenacity. I’ve seen it myself, Doug makes good things happen.
Doug Stern is an anomaly among men. He is a person who manufactures good will and good fortune. Things go better with Doug. Because of this I look forward to seeing Doug again and hearing his tales of cancer recovery. He will no doubt put the jovial Stern spin on them and have people in stitches with his monologues about his trip down the road to recovery. And then Stern will put another notch his belt for a challenge met, lemonade made out of lemons. It’s the Stern way.
Get well soon Doug. See you in Curacao this January.

We invite you to post a get well message to Doug, please click here.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom
Very nice story with pics.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern Sternisms [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I showed my dad the get well card back when it was posted and he really liked it, as did Kate Pennel who was visiting when I read it to him. Mad nice. He can't see the pictures you posted and all though-but thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot how handsome your dad is. How handsome your whole family is (yeah, you too, he's soooo proud of you)

Doug Sternisms-funny the thing I remember he and your mom saying about the Curacao trip was that "assholes don't come back" in reference to why they get such a great crowd.

Tell Kate Hi, she's a riot. Glad she's making your dad laugh.

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cleo -

Your Dad put a clinic on for a small group of athletes in Grand Haven, MI about a year and a half ago. The clinic was great for all involved and we still speak regularly about his teachings.

While I know he can be very direct, your Dad is always particularly kind too. For example, after he video-taped our initial swim, and we were reviewing my portion of the tape, his comments about my stroke were something to the effect that I was a "well-conditioned athlete." What he really wanted to say is that he was astounded that anyone could work that hard and swim so slow. He took the high road with me.

While I never discussed this with anyone, I was always amazed with the number of times he said "fuck." A true fuckin' New Yorker. At our clinic there was a teenage girl in attendance with her parents and he must have dropped the f-bomb a half dozen times or more. I have to laugh at this as I have the same issue. In fact, the staff at my office used to employ a "swear cup" for me. Every time I used a swear word I had to put a coin in the cup; "fuck" was the most expensive word at a quarter. They used the proceeds to buy snacks. Our office is well-nourished, but it would be a fucking bonanza if your Dad worked at my office.

Please keep us posted . . . and know that our prayers are with Doug and his family.
Last edited by: Trianthes: Jun 23, 07 5:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a few...

"What did you notice?" There are a million responses to that, so the swimmer (including me) usually sits in dumbfounded silence.

In response to my complaining about the maze-like bottom of the pool in Curacao that resulted in me jamming my fingers repeatedly into the lane line, "These are the parameters you have to deal with."

I sure hope Doug is back in shape for Curacao '08 - he clearly loves being there and instructing the group.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Last edited by: Aztec: Jun 22, 07 21:29
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern Sternisms [TheDoor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Notice what you notice."

That's a classic. Total Stern.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take after my dad. I say fuck a lot too. But I can't hide behind the Doug Stern badassness like he can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually girl, I have seen first hand that you can. That is something you take from your Dad that will serve you well- along with his wisdom of course.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we puullleeeezz get in the water now?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait, who said that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the deep water running in the lagoon Doug would say that. People would just hang out on the beach chatting- it was late in the day so everyone was tired and didn't want to get in the water. Doug was trying to get the deep water running started so we could do the open water swim before the sun went down.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern - Details on the Memorial [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A memorial will be held in honor of

Doug Stern

Thursday June 28
1 – 3 pm

Plaza Jewish Community Chapel
630 Amsterdam Avenue @ 91st Street
NYC
http://www.plazajewishcommunitychapel.org/

Friends and family will be gathering immediately following the memorial at

2373 Broadway btw 86th and 87th Streets
3rd floor Duplex room

In lieu of flowers, you may wish to make a donation in honor of Doug to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center:

https://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/60052.cfm?ContentFor=Special

Person being honored: Doug Stern

Program/Area of research: Kidney Cancer

Lynn’s name: Lynn Chapman-Stern

Lynn’s email: midwif28@yahoo.com

Address:
Lynn Chapman-Stern
700 Columbus Ave., Apt 9J
New York, NY 10025

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Stern - Details on the Memorial [cleostern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know your dad, but after reading the outpouring here on ST, I really wish I had. You were lucky to know him as a fatehr and friend and you have my deep condolences on your loss.

Bob
Quote Reply

Prev Next