Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jim McCann, you will be remembered
Quote | Reply
Triathlon Club of San Diego's President, Jim McCann, died in his sleep last night. Jim was 46 years old. His death was entirely unexpected, the result of an apparent heart attack.

I remember Jim as good natured, subtle, wry, and whose actions were always purposeful and positive. He was solid. You took his call. If he sent you an email, you immediately read it. He was not businesslike, but he always meant business. Evidence of that is the club he managed, which now numbers just shy of 2000, a fivefold increase under his watch.

Triathlon is a sport of consumers, and that is as it should be. But every once in a while a producer has to step up, to balance the scales. Jim was a super-producer.

He is survived by his wife Dee Dee. There are articles about Jim McCann now posted on Triathlete's website, and on Tri Club San Diego's website.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Jim McCann, you will be remembered [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sad. Even though I didn't know him, I feel a loss. I just hope his memory lives on in the large group of athletes he presided over in the club. Way too soon, but I hope his efforts will live on....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for posting this, Dan. Jim was a top notch guy. When my wife and I heard the news today we were just floored. I still can't really believe it. Jim had such a strong and entrepreneurial spirit. There were times when it was easy to get the impression that he ran TCSD on his own. He had an amazing ability to get people involved and convince them to devote much of their time to the club in such roles as race director, beginner's race director, social chair, beginner's coach, the list goes on and on. He also started a very successful wetsuit rental business (http://www.wetsuitrental.com).

Man this sucks. Not only did he introduce me to my wife Cindy, it was because of him that I gained an appreciation for camping in the desert, and he also organized what was still my favorite bike ride to date. He thought it might be fun to get a group to ride the 100 miles from Borrego Springs to Solana Beach... and start the ride after midnight. He was right. Riding though Julian to a full moon was just fantastic.

Jim was such a mellow guy, and I think your description of him is spot on. In my experience, he was always encouraging people to try new things and get outside of their comfort zone. It was never a good idea to complain about your job or dream about a new business or opportunity unless you were prepared for him to challenge you to make a change. My heart goes out to his wife, Dee Dee. My wife and I think the world of both of them and this loss is heart wrenching.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is such a huge loss for the triathlon community as a whole. Jim was a huge influence in everything that went on in the San Diego area in regards to multisports. His ideas were endless and his enthusiasm overflowing.
It is always hard losing someone this way, never a chance to say thanks one more time.
Jim had been complaining of bad headaches from what I heard last week. He died of an apparent brain aneurysm.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Jim McCann, you will be remembered [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was stunned when I saw this earlier today on the TCSD website. Jim was such a great person, always giving back to the sport he loved. When I first began trying my hand at triathlons, Jim was very willing to answer my newbie questions and provide sound advice. His easy going style made the TCSD club meetings a very relaxed friendly atmosphere. I remember seeing Jim volunteer at races, but never saw him compete in one - I guess this shows how much he was willing to give back, when so many of us just take. My prayers go out to Jim and his family. He will be sorely missed.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe it.

Jim was the best guy ever. Here is a copy of an email I sent to him earlier this year. He was the most amzing humble guy, he will be very missed. Our prayers go out to Dee Dee.

Jim,

I just wanted to drop you a thank you note. Actually I wanted to mail you a thank you note but I could not find a mailing address for you (I guess that is the sign of the times). I have been absolutely amazed by your humble leadership of the Tri Club. Additionally the amount of work, time and money you put into making all the club members and the community at large better is staggering. Many people have been changed for the better because of your work. My wife and our kids and myself have been blessed to be just a small part of this club.

As for the wetsuit gift certificate that is just too much. My wife wants to do a half ironman this year but has been fearful of the open water swims and as you say on your website; one of the factors that can help over come this hurdle is a wetsuit. So we will use the gift certificate to buy her a wetsuit. She is planning on doing the CAF half ironman this year. So as you can see the gift certificate you gave us will then enable her to do a race that raises money for an awesome cause. Once again you are making a difference.

Thank you again, this email doesn’t adequately show our appreciation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who had a chance to interact with Jim at all will surely miss him. I did not know him well but I think it shows the impact he had here in that many people like myself will be stunned and floored to hear the news.

All our best thoughts and wishes go out to Dee Dee and their families.

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Last edited by: Recall: Jun 21, 07 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sat down and cried today when I heard the news. That's what type of man he was for me.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a sad day.

For those that knew him, we could all only wish to be like him...so calm, polite, happy, giving, and selfless.

For those that never met him, you missed out on someone that only gave, gave, and gave to our sport, our lifestyle and our triathlon community here in San Diego.

This is a sad day.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch almost always relaxes me. This time I felt as if the wind was knocked out of me. A year and a half ago when I went to my first Tri Club of San Diego meeting I didn't know what to expect and didn't know a soul. Maybe I was lucky, maybe Jim sensed this, but he walked over and introduced himself and took time to tell me about the club and triathlon. He immediately put me at ease. There couldn't have been a better start for me in this lifestyle that I've come to love. I will miss him...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered where I knew the name as I wouldn't know anything about the Triathlon Club of San Diego then I finally remembered, he was the WetsuitRental.com guy too. I had one dealing with him and it was absurdly pleasant, easy and painless, sadly easily memorable as such service is rare (excepting the likes of Emilio here). 46 is way too young.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim McCann our good friend, we will truly miss you. Jim was the true definition of a Nice guy, he was always positive and friendly. My wife and I will cherish the time we spent with him and we will remember him always. He is survived by his loving wife Dee dee and our thoughts go out to her in this time of sadness.

Peter Clode & Neily Mathias
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today I picked up his 2 sisters at the airport. The two plus Dee Dee will decide how and when they will do Jim's funeral.

I met Jim for the first time back in the summer of 1996 on a bike ride, I believe. He'd been treating me like his little brother since then. I could not be where I am now as a race photographer without him. He hooked me up with some race organizers. I wish I could return his favor more...

Yesterday I lost my big brother... The world looks different now. I can not believe...

O
opix.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim is the reason I got back into triathlon in 1999. His casual, grass roots approach to everything made his club, the triathlon club of san diego, so inviting. Hi impact on so many, many lives will never be forgotten.

Shocked, and without words...

Trisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 46, wow. I didn't really know Jim other than meeting him at a few of the club events. Super nice guy and a people person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This news completely shocked me this morning....

Jim was amazingly friendly and talking to him, even when you first meet him...just puts you at ease.

very very sad...my thoughts go out to Dee Dee and the rest of his family.

------------------
The world is full of pricks who can only criticize. Are you one of them?

Your time and energy are limited. Are you wasting them by talking shit on the forums? -Dave Tate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim. After reading the posts it sounds like my loss........Very sad.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon and especially the San Diego scene lost a true ambassador of the sport with Jim's passing. He worked hard to make everyone feel welcome and able to participate and his enthusiasm was infectious. I came to the club after my first season and before I knew it he had convinced me to become one of the beginner coaches and I quickly became one of Jim's converted. He worked hard to make sure there was something for everyone who came to the club and never ran out of ideas to make the sport more accessible.
Jim will be greatly missed and my thoughts and prayers go out to Dee Dee and their families.

Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad and shocking news, Jim has done amazing things with TCSD and I'm sure many other things in his life. It was the monthly club races he helped organize and direct that got be hooked on triathlon and showed me a glimpse of this community.

You could tell immediately when you met Jim that everything he gave was given freely and with obvious joy.

He will be missed, my deepest condolences to his family.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All, there is no way to express how much comfort your comments are bringing me. I have logged in three times already today and can't get enough. I am going to be completely lost without Jim, and I'm dreading the coming weeks, months, and years. The autopsy showed that Jim died of a stroke. I found him in his favorite place -- in front of his computer where he had been working on Tri Club and wetsuitrental.com business. We will be having a private funeral and burial next week and then there will be a big memorial celebration at the Shores; the date will be fixed soon and posted on the tri club website. Please come. Thank you again; your comments are going to help me remember and recover for a long, long time. Dee Dee
Quote Reply
Re: Jim McCann, you will be remembered [Dee Dee McCann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so, so very sorry for your loss.

I certainly did not know Jim well, but talked to him more than a few times at club races and the local circuit. He embodied everything I love about this sport: friendly, approachable, dedicated. He will be remembered and missed by more people than you might imagine.

You are both in my prayers tonight.

Scott.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.coastalhealthandfitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.competitor.com/...9a-8baf-291e6df49dce

Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad. I feel very bad for those of you who knew Jim. You don't expect a fit middle aged guy to have a heart attack.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a recently retired phys ed teacher roadie friend that was killed by an 85 yr old motorist in an unfortunate accident.

This just demonstrates how vulnerable we all are. It could happen to anyone of us.

Swim, ride, run carefully all of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is unreal. Unfortunately I can't really say that I knew him. Jim was coming on to the USAT SW Region Board as I was exiting. I believe we were on a couple of conference calls together. But last year when I was fundraising for CAF, he made a fat contribution; $150 if I remember correctly. It surprised me because I don't think we'd ever had a person to person exchange. So even though I never really met him, I know personally of his generosity and I was impressed.

RIP, my friend who I never knew. My thoughts and best wishes to your family.
Quote Reply

Prev Next