Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Silverman report. Most. Epic. Ironman. Ever.
Quote | Reply
The doctor supported one of his shoulders while I lifted the other so he could sit up enough to sip bullion. We knew he was regaining coherence when he managed to croak, "Oh, this is a good idea" after a sip. What fun we had at Silverman!

We had been intimidated for months over the 9,700' of elevation gain on the bike and 2,000' on the run, so we went on grueling 7-hour rides and 4-hour runs. Scott took swim lessons. His wife admired his new guns as swimming Brought the Sexy Back.

We were ready.

There was just one little thing we didn't consider: what if the winds came up overnight and made Lake Mead rougher than the roughest Escape From Alcatraz swim?

Here I am being steadied by one of the AMAZING volunteers after the swim:

One of the elite swimmers after his swim leg:

Major bragging rights after that swim. And you get rewarded by the best bike course in the business:

It wasn't Kona wind on the bike, but it definitely added to the stories after the race. More bragging rights.

That girly boy Lance Armstrong said after his New York Marathon, "Oh, my. That flat, cool marathon I ran with fresh legs was the toughest thing I ever did athletically. 3 hours of effort. Oh gosh."

I thought about those words as Scott and I passed each other on an out and back on the marathon, me pounding the quads down a steep and him chugging up. All I could utter was a low, "Scotty" with no gesture. His dazed eyes never moved nor could he manage a grunt, but his right hand gestured a little to acknowledge his name. The lights were on but nobody was home.

It was actually a great run course that included running through a fancy outdoor shopping strip/mall with an REI store, etc.

Scott was concerned that he wouldn't break 2 hours on the swim. In really rough water, he gutted out an admirable 1:41. What he could never imagine is that he couldn't break two hours in the med tent.

The doc asked, "Sir, can you tell me what you think happened out there?"

Scott: "I laid all my turkeys out. It's the way I do it. I always do."

Doc: "Well, sir, it looks like it's working for you."

All teasing Scott aside, he outbiked me and got a trophy for 4th in our age group in a sport he doesn't train for year-round. In a complete reversal of what's supposed to happen, I outran him and placed 2nd. But if I join him for one of his 100 mile trail runs, I'll be the one in the med tent--and not at the finish line.

We really got our money's worth from this one:

I wouldn't trade the experience for the world and we'll both be back next year. I like the other IM courses, particularly Lake Placid, but this was special. The race directors and volunteers here are full of passion and excitement; you feel a special camaraderie.

I'll remember this one forever.

More photos: http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2132566
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman report. Most. Epic. Ironman. Ever. [Baldy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that is the way to write a race report, visuals and everything..Thanks and good job.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressive. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos. This is what makes ST so interesting, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman report. Most. Epic. Ironman. Ever. [newbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report thanks. I'm still thinking about doing this but it would be a nasty first IM.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman report. Most. Epic. Ironman. Ever. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What great pictures....as they say, a good picture tells a thousand words.
Congratulations!!

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great report, fantastic pics and even better captions. Made me laugh....

sounds like a truly epic day. This race just went to the top of my list.

Thanks for sharing!

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done sir! (both race and report that is)

Quote | Reply
Congratulations and thanks for the fantastic RR. I love the pic of you on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now THAT is a true iron race. After doing two "regular" dot M races, I am convinced that anyone with reasonable fitness can finish one. But Silverman. That looks like the real deal. 9k of climbing, 2k of running, and what a swim. The vomit shot says it all. I wonder if I have the courage to do it. How cool would it be if the big guns -- and you all know who you are -- decided to skip the IMNA/WTC bs and do this race instead? What if we got 2000 on that course next year? Think anyone would be drafting? I am seriously intrigued. Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baldy,
Fantastic race report indeed. Loved the pics and the story and you two should be very proud of a great race.

Thanks,

Herbert
Litespeed / Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great report and pics! Congrats on finishing a very tough race. What kind of arm warmers are those ?

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and great race report! The visuals really brought out the experience. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman report. Most. Epic. Ironman. Ever. [Buzzykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Now THAT is a true iron race. After doing two "regular" dot M races, I am convinced that anyone with reasonable fitness can finish one. But Silverman. That looks like the real deal. 9k of climbing, 2k of running, and what a swim. The vomit shot says it all. I wonder if I have the courage to do it. How cool would it be if the big guns -- and you all know who you are -- decided to skip the IMNA/WTC bs and do this race instead? What if we got 2000 on that course next year? Think anyone would be drafting? I am seriously intrigued. Anyone? "

The run is listed as 1800 feet of climbing per loop (3600 feet total). I know it sure felt like it. This bike course will seperate out riders very quickly.

MDOT races are great (I've only done one), but the swim/bike/run course for Silverman is what makes this race special, along with the race support and atmosphere. I'm going back next year.

Mark
Last edited by: MarkInEastBay: Nov 15, 06 15:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Scott: "I laid all my turkeys out. It's the way I do it. I always do."

Awesome - I love that line – a new one to use for inspiration before Z4/Z5 workouts.

Congrats on a great race.
============

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading about this race and seeing the pictures, I have decided I want to do this race. Would be a tough first ironman ya, but I mean, looks pretty epic to me, like a good experience. Wouldn't do an ironman until a couple of more years of xterras and short-course tri's though. Also, another reason to contribute to that is that a socal guy that used to be in my age group, nathan muldoon I think, went 12:59 on this course.

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this race just made my ToDo list because of your post, great RR and race!

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your RR needs to go on the Silverman website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word: Cool.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His wife admired his new guns as swimming Brought the Sexy Back.

If that's his wife admiring his guns the she needs a day at the spa.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gentlemen,

Baldy is a God among adventure motorcyclists, and the founder of AdvRider.com. I own 4 motorcycles, he has posted in my forum in the past, has purchased a training plan from me, and we just "met" in a board in his forum. If you ever want to waste a day or several week, peek into his Ride Reports forum. Incredible, incredible stuff.

All Hail Baldy,

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys continue to make this race sound better and better with each post and picture...well, except for the turbulent swim reaction picture...

Seems to have all the elements and atmosphere of an ultramarathon. Cool stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman report. Most. Epic. Ironman. Ever. [Buzzykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like to see the humpmonkeys from the 70.3 pace lines on this ride, that would separate the posers out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SUPER report! beautiful pics, too. Thank you so much for sharing, and congrats on your finish!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman report. Most. Epic. Ironman. Ever. [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...Baldy is a God among adventure motorcyclists...

Hahaha, after the race I was thinking Rich is a God among coaches. I managed to run the 2nd half of the marathon 1 minute slower than the first half and beat my ultrarunning buddy because of a pre-race talk you gave online.

Your words about setting up the race to not slow down in the second half of the run echoed in my ears all day:

http://enduranceplanet.com/special.htm
Last edited by: Baldy: Nov 15, 06 18:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mind plays this trick on you... Two weeks after the race it convinces you that you had fun out there.
Somebody sent me this pic to remind me that when I started the run I was already wincing, wondering if the leggies would hold for 26 big ones.

Quote Reply

Prev Next