Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 8 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 8 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
goals for this week = at least 1 day off from running, swim 5-6 days, GET ON BIKE.

Mission accomplished with 5 swims (13,100 yds), 1 ride (about 30 miles), 6 runs (50 miles, and 3 good workouts... one was 2 x 2 mi at 10k pace, one was 12 x 400 at 5k pace, and one was 2 x 400 + 2 x 800 + 1 x 1 mi @ 5k pace - 20 sec).

Goals for this week: at least 1 day off from running, 2 rides (short is fine!), swim 5-6 days.

Cat-sat for my advisor this weekend, which was great. She has a sweet house and very friendly kitties!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bittersweet week. Tuesday was my last day of physical therapy. My PT is being transferred to another facility 20 miles away and I don't want to start over with someone new (or commute 20 miles), so it's time to transition to the gym. I have full range of motion now, I just need to regain all my strength. So I'll move to the gym and do a check-in with PT Jonathan in April. In my mind I'm sure I'm ready, but he represents safety. Plus, we've been working together for over a year and have become friends, so it's a little sad.

The good news is that last week was the most exercise (time) I'd done since before surgery. One outdoor bike ride (which wiped me out - user error on the bike and the wheel was rubbing the entire ride which I didn't figure out until afterwards).

Swimming is going great. My freestyle clinic came to an end and we are now swimming with the regular Masters group (including Coach AWARE). I've taken over 30 seconds off my 100 time and dropped my stroke count (SCY) from 25 to about 18-19, so I'm definitely seeing improvement. Now, to get my arms/shoulders/cardio back in shape.

And to get winter over!! Another 1-2 inches of snow today. I'm ready for spring.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: win
bike x 1: win
run x 5: win with 6
core/strength x 4: win

This week's goals:
swim x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 2
mobility/stretch x 2

So apparently it's going to be -22c/-8f for this 25k trail race on Saturday...that's the high for the day BEFORE windchill...and it's one big 25km loop.

At last report, the trail was 100% ice covered. It snowed last night, and is supposed to continue to do so pretty much every day before the race.

If you don't hear from me next week I am most likely a frozen lump somewhere in the Durham Forest.

Quote | Reply
Weather is so messed up everywhere this year. Had a conference call this morning - Moncton got a huge snowfall & we are sitting at +9 with most of the snow gone.

Good luck with the race!!! The upside to being IN the race is that it's easier to stay warm when you are moving - just make sure you stay upright too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
The last week or so has been just ok for me. We are down a car through no fault of our own, so we've been sharing a car by day and truck shopping in the evenings. I've been fighting a cold. We finally closed on a refinance that took five fucking months. My cousin has been in town. I got some new assignments at work that could mean a promotion/raise down the road but for right now is just "more work." Etc., etc., etc.

So last week I just did one swim, one run, and two bike trainer sessions, with a bit of pre-hab thrown in. BLEH. The good news is my left IT band didn't start twingeing until mile 2.1 or so of my run, when before it let me know it was starting to get unhappy at about mile 1.7... progress? I am trying not to get discouraged about running 2 x 3 miles per week at 11-minute-mile paces when I was doing 25-30 miles a week at this time last year. =( I am honestly happy to be running at all so I am trying to stay positive.
Things were better last week. We bought my husband a truck. I am feeling better (although still not sleeping very well) and trying to stay diligent about hand-washing, taking vitamin c, and drinking extra water (NOT filtered through ground coffee beans). We are once again full bore on the latest rental project, although the last two weeks before we move in renters are the closest we come to divorce (I kid... kind of). Cousin's rotation is over. Work is still crazy with the extra assignments but I have defined projects and goals now, and am starting to get excited about some of the things I am hoping to do.

Last week I managed two swims, although I had to cut short the second to a monster foot cramp I could not swim through -- I had to get out of the pool and limped for the rest of the night. I suspect I was dehydrated. I also managed two bike trainer sessions and two runs, one outside when we had a beautiful day Sunday, during which I managed three miles with NO IT band pain. Hooray! I also lifted weights once and did some pre-hab, but no yoga. Boo! I am going to cautiously add another easy run per week into the rotation soon and see how it goes.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 8 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've taken over 30 seconds off my 100 time

That is phenomenal!!! And congratulations on graduating from PT :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 8 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
trying to stay diligent about hand-washing, taking vitamin c, and drinking extra water (NOT filtered through ground coffee beans).

that made me laugh. thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super - had a fantastic trip - snowboarded on Sat with 40cm of FRESH POW, then skied on Monday in a temperature inversion (+10DegC and sunny at the summit - shades and beers baby!). Feet & ankles are sore from non-use and I'm pretty rusty but we had a blast with the kids. Managed to get in 3 skates and 2 runs as well.

This week: likely the last meet of the season on Sat...
- run 2x
- no ride - not enough grip strength yet to shift/brake well
- skate 2x + meet on Sat (I really want to do well here but I gotta stop crashing haha)
- keep on moving the thumb/hand....

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 8 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe, no kidding - it was 4c on Sunday evening when I went trail running in knicks and a longsleeve, then last night it was 2 layers all over and neck gaiter in full effect at -11c! I'm concerned with how I'm going to stay hydrated with a high of -22c (windchill for the morning estimated at -39c); last time I ran with my hand bottle at those temps the valve froze up within 6km, and the first aid station is at 8km..

I thought about wearing my hydration pack instead, but at least if the mouthpiece of my bottle freezes I can just take the lid off. If the hose of my pack freezes up, I'm screwed.

Best of luck with the meet, Andy - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you staying upright!

Quote | Reply
I had the same thing re: water freezing up when I did my skate marathon - in similar conditions to what is forecasted for your race - and that was only 2 hrs! Heck even keeping gels or food soft enough to eat is a challenge. :-) Unless you have an insulated pack and the tube is insulated, it will freeze - don't bother. You can keep the liquid from freezing by wearing the pack under your layers and as close to your skin as practical, but if the tube is not insulated, it and the bite valve will just freeze. Just putting it under your top layer probably won't work - it didn't for me (under my PI winter cycling jacket too which is pretty damn toasty). You'd need to try running with it way under your multiple layers, and maybe look into something like the foam insulation plumbers use on pipes. Oh and have a back-up plan to take on at the aid stations only.

What makes it worse is that you need more calories and water when it gets that cold.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 8 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine does have an insulated tube, but I've had it freeze up on me before and that was with the old bladder, the hose for which was a larger diameter than the one I use now (old bladder developed a leak & new bladder isn't compatible with old hose, which sucks because the flow volume is lower, too). Really, the biggest problem is the mouthpiece freezing up, though. The new one has a 90-degree plastic fitting which results in a very small diameter aperture that's impossible to insulate and freezes up easily while being impossible to gnaw on to break up the ice. I've had to stick it inside the collar of my jacket before to defrost it against my neck (under my collar & gaiter) when it was freezing up on a longer run, but that's horribly uncomfortable & impractical.

(Imagine that rubbing against your neck for awhile)

I'm also concerned, though, about my hand getting cold using a hand bottle. Compressing the insulating airspace in my mitten with the strap...but it still offers the option to stop, take the lid off and have a sip of whatever hasn't completely frozen inside, which isn't possible with the hydration pack.

I have a vest that has bottle holsters on the chest (Ultimate Direction AK vest), but I don't think I can fit it under my jacket.

So I'll have to hope the aid stations can keep the water from freezing up there, keep my gel flask in an inside pocket, and hope that my camel-like tendencies hold up - I've been averaging about 0.5L of water per hour on training runs lately and can always rehydrate afterward. Really just need enough to keep my mouth wet and help the gels down.

Last edited by: mistressk: Feb 12, 16 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 8 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have insulated bottles you could put in that vest? ones that could take hot/warm water? get you at least a ways thru... just an idea. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply