Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Holiday Advice for an Aussie
Quote | Reply
Hi Girls. I am coming over for the Worlds in Chicago in September. I have a week in Chicago, then another few day in New Plymouth with family. After that we have another week and a half or thereabouts. We are definitely NOT City dwellers. Really have no interest in going to any cities to sight see (since we have limited time) so thinking of flying over towards LA and maybe going to Yosemite or Mammoth Lakes?? Any suggestions?? We love the bush, anything with water (oceans, lakes, waterfall...anything like that), basically love nature. Thoughts please??? Need your input about your beautiful country. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Holiday Advice for an Aussie [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello! Well, you don't have to go all the way to LA to see some amazing country, the Great Lakes being the largest system of fresh water in the world. Even a driving trip to Wisconsin or Upper Peninsula/Michigan will get you well out of the city. Starved Rock State Park in Ottawa Illinois is a two hour drive SE out of the city.

But, yes, flying over to Yosemite would be incredible, but fly to San Francisco rather than LA. Perhaps try a day or two stay in Denver on the way out or back?

I"m in Chicago, pm me with questions on your plans for Worlds.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bend Oregon.

Hiking, biking, water stuff, beer, food, coffee, small, gorgeous mountain town with lots and lots of great vacation rentals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't go wrong with Seattle in September. From downtown you can take a ferry to the San Juans or a float plane up to Victoria BC. Head east to hike in the mountains than continue on to wine country.

Easy to fly into, nice central hub for lots of stuff to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yosemite is fantastic! We just got back from 5 days there. Water is very low so the waterfalls will be thin/nonexistent in September but the place is amazing and the scenery is breathtaking. We spent 2 days is San Francisco before driving to the park. If you are thinking of this secure lodging before you make other travel plans as no lodging means no lodging! September is after the Labor Day holiday and the crowds thin tremendously but the lodging situation is something you don't want to wait on. That's for camping and hotels in the park. Have a wonderful adventure wherever you go!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mount Desert Island, Maine

lots of hiking
ocean
more hiking
more ocean
very beautiful leaves in the fall

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Holiday Advice for an Aussie [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You can't go wrong with Seattle in September.

...as long as you like rain!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Holiday Advice for an Aussie [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
September here is perfect. October is the unknown. November it sucks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Holiday Advice for an Aussie [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not true - ditto Vancouver - September is often dry and sunny. It's like a switch goes off after Thanksgiving (Canadian Turkey Day I mean) and the rain just starts - for months. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
although you drive on the wrong side of the road, and probably will kill somebody over here (haha, just kidding), a driving trip though the USA West to see the major national parks would be a great way to see the real America.

start in San Fran or LA, head east to Yosemite, then north through Nevada and Idaho to Yellowstone, then drop into Utah to check out the some beautiful desert parks like Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches or the Grand Canyon. Circle back to LA and fly home.

You could easily do this in 10 days.

Check out the parks and if its something you'd like to see, I can help you with suggestions for driving routes / distance, place to sleep (or camp) or hike, etc.

I live in Idaho and its amazing out here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and try not be astounded at how cheap our food and beer is compared to Australia, cause I was fairly astounded at prices there last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Holiday Advice for an Aussie [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice so far girls. :) Will certainly be in contact with people as soon as we have dates set. Thanks Sto.... definitely looking forward to cheaper prices in most things :) Good excuse to buy some running shoes and tri gear I think .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for seemingly 1 of a kind natural wonders that are away from big cities in the US, these are on among my favorites

- Minnesota - Boundary Waters Canoe Area
- South Dakota - Black Hills, the needles,
- Wyoming etc - Yellowstone National Park - especially ... take the NE road out and into Montana - a top 10 car ride in the world IMHO ... Thermopolis or Cody, WY, Jackson Hole
- Colorado - Estes Park or Breckinridge, Pikes Peak in Co. Springs,
- California - Run North out of San Francisco into the wine country or take US 1 down to Monterrey

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply