Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com
Quote | Reply
How many of you have had your name called out by Mike Reilly? He was previously with Active.com, as one of the original team members there. I don't have time to do the investigative journalism to say what the move was for, but hopefully this is a good move for him.

http://www.triathlonbusinessintl.com/mike-reilly.html

Quote:
Events.com, a provider of cloud-based applications ‘encouraging social interaction and enhancing the experience of putting on, promoting and attending events’, has today announced that Mike Reilly has joined the company as Executive Vice President of Global Sales.

In this role, Reilly will build a world class sales organization, accelerating revenue for the event organizer business from the company’s headquarters in La Jolla, California.

Formerly Vice President at The ACTIVE Network, Reilly brings over 30 years of sales and endurance event experience and is a leader in the endurance sports industry. As a committee member and MC for the Running USA Conference since its inception, Reilly has a wealth of knowledge for all things endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is still doing about a dozen IM races in 2015. I don't remember them all but IMCDA, IMLP, Boulder, IMMT were on the list and Kona of course.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Dec 22, 14 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are thrilled to have Mike join the events.com team. We have worked for 15+ years @ events with Mike and looking forward to another 15+ years.
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is Mike's FB post where he lists IM races he'll call in 2015

https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1035259519823676

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the press release and still can't figure out what that company does. Fail.
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I read the press release and still can't figure out what that company does. Fail.

Agreed. But then again, I know what Active.com does and I still can't figure out how they charge what they charge. Another fail.

I just hope this isn't another model that adds extreme costs while performing unimpressive administrative duties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

from their website:
"A mobile-first registration platform for the busy event organizer and the “always on” event goer. Introducing an end-to-end solution that does more than just reach audiences. We invite you to begin captivating and growing your event with us today"

it sounds like they want to create a version of active.com that doesn't suck, but yes every sentence seems a bit vague:

- always on event goer: not sure what that is, presumably a person that never sleeps
- end-to-end solution: it allows an athlete/event attendee to start the registration process and end it too!?
- does more than just reach audiences: you need to use your imagination to figure out what this "more" is that it does
- captivating and growing your event: hopefully an event organizer has already "captured" their event. How did it escape to begin with?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Agreed. But then again, I know what Active.com does and I still can't figure out how they charge what they charge. Another fail.

I just hope this isn't another model that adds extreme costs while performing unimpressive administrative duties.

I went to the events.com website. I think they do event registration services, but there were so many buzzwords and bullshit it was hard to tell.
Slick site that tells you nothing.
If I was an RD, this would be a huge red flag.
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

from their website:
"A mobile-first registration platform for the busy event organizer and the “always on” event goer. Introducing an end-to-end solution that does more than just reach audiences. We invite you to begin captivating and growing your event with us today"

it sounds like they want to create a version of active.com that doesn't suck, but yes every sentence seems a bit vague:

- always on event goer: not sure what that is, presumably a person that never sleeps
- end-to-end solution: it allows an athlete/event attendee to start the registration process and end it too!?
- does more than just reach audiences: you need to use your imagination to figure out what this "more" is that it does
- captivating and growing your event: hopefully an event organizer has already "captured" their event. How did it escape to begin with?

Yup.

Maybe Mike Reillys first order of business is to redesign the website so it actually says what they do. Hard to sell services to customers when you obfuscate what it is your are selling!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

they must be cool if the pic of their Chairman on their website is a selfie!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm calling it now...WTC switches registration provider from Active to Events.com in less than 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I have read there, I am confident that what they are trying to achieve is to move forward an organic yet decidedly post modern solution for self actualized globally minded citizens seeking to leverage jargon in real time without sacrificing the indiginous cum frontiersperson spirit that has made America the everman's paragon.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
From what I have read there, I am confident that what they are trying to achieve is to move forward an organic yet decidedly post modern solution for self actualized globally minded citizens seeking to leverage jargon in real time without sacrificing the indiginous cum frontiersperson spirit that has made America the everman's paragon.

Your job offer from events.com is in the mail. Or maybe you'll get $18.95 for every WTC registration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTW.

robgray wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

they must be cool if the pic of their Chairman on their website is a selfie!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
NJSteve wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I went to the events.com website. I think they do event registration services, but there were so many buzzwords and bullshit it was hard to tell.

Are you a race director? Are you in the market for event registration support for events that you're running?

If not, maybe it's best to leave the 'expert' commentary for the target audience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI Vista Equity took a boatload of cash incentives from the Texas Enterprise Fund to move Active.com and a couple other local companies (Websense and Omnitrax) from San Diego to Dallas. Perhaps he preferred staying in San Diego?
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [Holyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holyman wrote:
I'm calling it now...WTC switches registration provider from Active to Events.com in less than 3 years.

WTC is Events.com
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quality.
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
NJSteve wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Are you a race director? Are you in the market for event registration support for events that you're running?

If not, maybe it's best to leave the 'expert' commentary for the target audience.

Are you kidding? Pretty much everyone on this thread agrees the site is a turd.
Beautiful, but devoid of any real content telling me exactly what the company does beyond vague "we do awesome stuff!".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
NJSteve wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Are you kidding? Pretty much everyone on this thread agrees the site is a turd.
Beautiful, but devoid of any real content telling me exactly what the company does beyond vague "we do awesome stuff!".

How many RD's are commenting here???

Took about a second to see that events.com is associated with sportstats and eventsonline.ca and founded by the founder of active.com.

They handle event registration and participant engagement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Say what you will about the website, if Mike Reilly has left Active after all these years to join these guys they are doing something right.
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [Holyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems logical. But what additional value will be provided over what Active currently delivers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are you saying that users aren't allowed to comment? I don't care for Active.com and if this is just another spin-off overpriced, low-value added service I won't like it either...but I'll wait to see what happens. Meanwhile, I don't really care whether Mike Reilly announces at any IM or IM70.3 race I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Voice of Ironman Mike Reilly joins Events.com [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
So are you saying that users aren't allowed to comment? I don't care for Active.com and if this is just another spin-off overpriced, low-value added service I won't like it either...but I'll wait to see what happens. Meanwhile, I don't really care whether Mike Reilly announces at any IM or IM70.3 race I do.

I'm saying that an event registration company is selling their services to the event organizers. It is up to each event organizer to demonstrate the value for any costs the participant pays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

I'm saying that an event registration company is selling their services to the event organizers. It is up to each event organizer to demonstrate the value for any costs the participant pays.

And would you also say that a ton of negative feedback from the event participants racing in the events those organizers run would be irrelevant? Such hubris.
Last edited by: Tracker09: Dec 23, 14 10:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next