Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Career Guidance…what would you do..
Quote | Reply
If you had an unlimited budget and wanted to become involved in a profession that would place you in a triathlon/endurance training related field what would you do ? How would you do it ?

I'm a new triathlete who loves training and the science behind it and I'm looking to get involved in a career relating to triathlon or endurance training, I have an undergrad degree in Business Management and am curious to know what kind of options exist. How would I go about getting involved in those different options, would it involve additional schooling? what kind of schooling ? Any input is awesome.

I've thought about coaching…. seems to easy enough to start, but very difficult to develop into a full-time thing. Thought about Physical Therapy or sports related PT but haven't the first clue about the different options and if any are worth pursuing..

Let me know what you think, or just ridicule me endlessly :)

Chasing dreams I've yet to have
-Swear I'm fast for a slow guy

FTP (20 min) 260W @ 165 lb
10K 41:46
Quote Reply
Re: Career Guidance…what would you do.. [dizzyingpaces] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go to the tech side.
Bike or gear tech. This way you get to go to any race you choose to sponsor and you still get to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking into physical therapy, you'll have to go back to school for at least another 2 years to pursue your masters degree, assuming you already have the pre-requisites to go straight into graduate school. Unless you want to do a ton of more schooling, don't look at physical therapy. It'll take a lot of work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am a new triathlete"

Coming from a guy who has had many hobbies over the years (shooting competitive handguns, paintball, racing rc cars, etc) I would highly suggest you stick with the sport for a while before you decide to "make a career out of it". I can tell you that with each of my hobbies it always sounded great if I could make a full time job out of them and in most cases I am glad I did not. Very often that initial energy and excitement can fade which is fine if it is a hobby, but if you are trying to support yourself off it could make things pretty difficult.

Another great example, my dad started working out for the first time in his life 4 months ago and was talking about opening up a gym last week. Don't be my dad
Quote Reply
Re: Career Guidance…what would you do.. [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jph437 wrote:

Another great example, my dad started working out for the first time in his life 4 months ago and was talking about opening up a gym last week. Don't be my dad

Love this bahahahahaha Wink ^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dizzyingpaces wrote:
If you had an unlimited budget and wanted to become involved in a profession that would place you in a triathlon/endurance training related field what would you do ? How would you do it ?

I'm a new triathlete who loves training and the science behind it and I'm looking to get involved in a career relating to triathlon or endurance training, I have an undergrad degree in Business Management and am curious to know what kind of options exist. How would I go about getting involved in those different options, would it involve additional schooling? what kind of schooling ? Any input is awesome.

I've thought about coaching…. seems to easy enough to start, but very difficult to develop into a full-time thing. Thought about Physical Therapy or sports related PT but haven't the first clue about the different options and if any are worth pursuing..

coaching?

that was an all uphill 10k right?

In endurance sport unless you get lucky with connections you have to start your own business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into a career in nutrition. Many different paths to take in that field: you could work with patients as part of a medical group "by day" and have an area of expertise to set you apart if you want to coach "by night". Also, as mentioned previously, if triathlon becomes something of a passing thing, you still have that day job to pay the bills...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dizzyingpaces wrote:

You'll do well here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep doing what you're doing now: asking questions and figuring out what part, if any, of the triathlon business world, is a going to be a good fit for you, your skills and values.

Take the time necesary to get deep insight into that - immerse yourself in different aspects - crucially, ask your self if the tasks of a particular job are something that is a good fit for you.

With that time and insight you'll recognize or create an opportunity in the industry - or you won't, and that'll be the right thing too.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Career Guidance…what would you do.. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

coaching?

In endurance sport unless you get lucky with connections you have to start your own business.

yea uphill both ways, actually the last mile was a vertical ascent up a gym rope

Chasing dreams I've yet to have
-Swear I'm fast for a slow guy

FTP (20 min) 260W @ 165 lb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn,

I thought you meant what job would you do if you could, but didn't have to worry about making money.

Me? I'd build wooden boats. Small boats mainly (12-35 feet). I'd build them with my son (we work extremely well together and have a blast doing it) Unfortuately, my mortgage means I can't take any hit to my income.

For tri related jobs, how about becoming a race director? Outside of what many people would suggest, but rewarding all the same.

You need to be careful about having a job that is your passion. I was a pro skier for 10 years, and that all but killed my passion for skiing. After being retired for 25 years, I'm finally yearning to ski again.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dizzyingpaces wrote:
synthetic wrote:

coaching?

yea uphill both ways, actually the last mile was a vertical ascent up a gym rope

We don't take kindly to you crossfitter types 'round these parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pharmacy; you can make a decent living off per-diem work. Plenty of time to indulge in hobbies without getting burnt out on them by bringing money into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've often thought that if my lottery numbers came up, I'd pack up my job and aswell as being able to finally train more than 10 hours a week I'd want to study sports science. No doubt the missus would have a long list of jobs for me to do and I'd still end up struggling to train 10 hours. But anyway, I'm fascinated by these biological processes and how the work we do stimulates the improvements we see. That's the route I'd take. But the point is I wouldn't just be using that as a path to getting involved in a career in triathlon, I'm interested in the subject itself. Alternatively I'd study aeronautical engineering.
Quote Reply
Re: Career Guidance…what would you do.. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty certain that being fast personally is not directly related to ones ability to be a coach, in the same way that being a nobel prize winning physicist is not related to the ability to teach physics

not sure the last time bill sweetenham set any records in the pool but he did ok as a career

in fact I'm pretty certain there are as many shit fast coaches as there are good slow ones - its a little like asking a tour golfer on how to strike a golf ball - many could not articulate how they do what they do, but you watch luke donald repeatedly hit the ball with the apparent same swing but reduce the spin on the ball by 25% each time and he's not the person to be going to teach you how to swing a golf club

to different skill sets - being fast and being able to articulate how to be fast

that said - not suggesting it should / should not be a career path for the initial poster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a new triathlete who loves training and the science behind it and I'm looking to get involved in a career relating to triathlon or endurance training, I have an undergrad degree in Business Management and am curious to know what kind of options exist.

Some General career options:

- Coaching
- Event Management
- Sales & Marketing roles on the brand side of things
- Sports Nutrition

A good web site to follow for career/job opportunities on the brand side of things - http://www.outdoorindustryjobs.com/

As for coaching, depending on where you live, I hear that in some regions, things have maxed out - too many coaches and not enough clients/athletes

In Event Managment - look beyond just the triathlon events. The running event business, is much bigger - but skill-sets, responsibilities the same.

- For sports nutrition, you may need additional school/training - lots of need here, and some of this may spill over into the general population where their is obviously a HUGE need for nutrition and general fitness/health help.

One thing, I will say. Be prepared to make LESS money than in similar other businesses, with similar other roles. However, you do get to work in this business. The lifestyle is more casual and laid back.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Career Guidance…what would you do.. [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
Pharmacy; you can make a decent living off per-diem work. Plenty of time to indulge in hobbies without getting burnt out on them by bringing money into it.

I remember when I was a kid I said I was going to be a pharmacist (my dad was one and seemed to love/hate the profession), and his response of "like hell you are" continues to echo 30yrs later. So instead I went into finance, and to this day wish I would have ignored my dad...
Quote Reply
Re: Career Guidance…what would you do.. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
pretty certain that being fast personally is not directly related to ones ability to be a coach, in the same way that being a nobel prize winning physicist is not related to the ability to teach physics

not sure the last time bill sweetenham set any records in the pool but he did ok as a career

in fact I'm pretty certain there are as many shit fast coaches as there are good slow ones - its a little like asking a tour golfer on how to strike a golf ball - many could not articulate how they do what they do, but you watch luke donald repeatedly hit the ball with the apparent same swing but reduce the spin on the ball by 25% each time and he's not the person to be going to teach you how to swing a golf club

to different skill sets - being fast and being able to articulate how to be fast

that said - not suggesting it should / should not be a career path for the initial poster

application of knowledge is quite a big thing. Coached getting lucky and obtaining a genetic freak can make them look good (chrissie wellington going to sutton ,and thanks to her success attracting top athletes, but why isnt his flock taking kona or whatever anymore?)

I think someone who is a late bloomer (starting after college or something) putting down good results would make a good coach. One who grew up swimming / running doesnt not remember the learning process to pass onto another.
Quote Reply