Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Putting down a dog [JNelly7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as an FYI to all the pet lovers out there, there are vets who will come to your home for in-home euthanasia. Many pets are stressed by the trips to the vet, so this is just another way to help them go peacefully. Here is a site with some info/vets who travel in each state:

Thanks for posting that...had no idea that existed. We've a 12+ year old black lab, and that time will come sooner than we want.

Ken, hang in there...there are no words that will help right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Putting down a dog [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
In fifteen minutes, I open the garage door behind which my two daughters are saying goodbye to our fifteen year old German Shepherd who we rescued at age one. That is the time we try to carry her to the car and take her to the vet.

Yep, that's a tough day.

We adopted a dog and have young kids. One of my considerations was the inevitable death of the dog. The scheming father in me is reassured that it will be a formative experience for the kids, and, I think, a really important one. Everybody dies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know just what you're going thru. We had to put down one of our cats two weeks ago. My wife and two girls were a mess.

Sorry for the loss of a great pal. Cherish the memories. Plant a flowering bush in your yard that will remind you of them. It's what we did and it's helped.

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear that. Makes two of us today. Our 13 year old husky was seemingly fine yesterday morning and today she is gone. Wife noticed her gums were pale yesterday after I left for work. Long story short, 8" diameter cancerous mass that had taken over her spleen and liver. We were blessed with her since she was 3 months old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting this.

It is so hard to say goodbye. There isn't a quick way to make anyone feel better about it. Sadly they are never with us long enough.

There has been a lot of loss around me lately. Thankfully my stubborn kitty, Olive, refuses to give in to her cancer. She just turned 14 and is 29 months post lymphoma diagnosis. I've been preparing to say goodbye to her since April 2012. She just won't budge.

A good friend lost her kitty very suddenly last month. It was very difficult and he unfortunately suffered. She was devastated. I shared with her some thoughts I have about the passing of our pets. I've had to say goodbye to far too many the last couple years. Here is what I wrote, with some modifications, and hopefully you find some truth in it.

1. Your dog isn't defined by the last couple hours of his life. Let go of those and fill your heart with all the wonderful days he had with you. His story isn't about how he passed, it is about how he lived.

2. I have a hard time saying this right but hopefully you catch my meaning. It is devastating our animal kids aren't with us for the entirety of our lives. But, in their passing, they leave room for a new life to be saved. It may take a long time to find the right fit but he has given you a gift, he left a spot on the couch for whomever needs it most and only you and your family will know when it is right to let someone take that spot.

He really will always be with you. It is sad you can't hug him but your life is changed and he's helped your entire family become better people. Deep love does that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put our 14 year old lab down in June. Roughest day I have had in decades. Our 13 year old lab is not far behind. It will be another shitty day I'm sure. We did have some great times. We made a photo book online of her entire life and closed it with the last photo we took at the park before we had the vet come over to put her down in the backyard, surround by things she knows and people who loved her. I couldn't see going to a sterile room at a vet hospital to say goodbye.

Time will heal the deep cuts, but the hole in your heart will take a lot longer. Feel for you man.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Putting down a dog [dkv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkv wrote:
The scheming father in me is reassured that it will be a formative experience for the kids, and, I think, a really important one. Everybody dies.

I still remember taking our dog, Ben, into the vet with my Dad.
Helping put the dog up on the table.
He peed everywhere.
We left and went about our business elsewhere.
On the way home several hours later we drove past the vet.
I said "Dad, aren't we going to pick Ben up?"
My dad half said something and looked at me like I was a bit of an idiot.
I figured it out from there.

It's at least 25 years ago, but I can still picture it clearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken,

I feel you man. Tough, tough, tough thing to do. I'm sorry to you and your family. It sounds like your dog had a great home to be a part of.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Always one of the toughest days.....our last one was 4 years ago and still seems like yesterday.

With that said we walked into a pet store 2 weeks later and walked out with 110lb Blood Hound!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First day of school yesterday, my sixth grade daughter finds out she has the same honors math teacher that her older sister had. Teacher recognizes the name, mentions her sister in class, and asks "You have a dog, right?".

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really sorry to hear this, its a painful thing to do. Been there a couple of times myself.
Sounds like they had a loving home and family.
Quote Reply
Re: Putting down a dog [chris_mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has always helped me:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Quote Reply

Prev Next