Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strange Denizens in a triathlon.
Quote | Reply
Don't know if you guys have odd stories about triathlon, but I saw a participant that made me scratch my head and go "Hmmm". I just did the 3rd annual Old Forge, NY intermediate Triathlon that had a challenging 4 mi run at the end ( The bike was 18.6 mi and swim 800yd). After pining over my crappy finish, I noticed that a couple people were DQ'd because they did not do the second loop on the 2 x 2 mile loop. One guy, bib #555,( Very odd # given only 179 non relay triathletes and the rest of the #'s were under 300. The 500 #'s were for the relay team) I personally saw cross the finish line and then shot back out onto the run coarse. They gave him a finishing time i.e. both loops were on the stat sheet but he DQ'd. Why would they DQ him? Because it screwed up the positions of the finishers behind him? Too bad because the guy was 55yo and had the second fastest swim time in the 800yd swim (9:42 and the fastest was 8:23 from a 22yo male) . I wish I could have seen him swim. I was in his wave and was well on my way to having my own problems waaaay behind him.
The oddest thing was he looked to be in good shape, but ran in hiking boots and kept saying "I did not even train for this". So I don't know if this guy was a goof or what. Then I also thought "Did this guy cut the swim short, somehow. But the day was clear and no fog so someone one would have seen that, I would think, and blown him in. I'd love to do the race again next year and see if he shows up again.

We should have another post called "Strange denizens in triathlons" as well as the ever popular "Strange denizens of the pool"

sorry the results are in PDF from Scorethis.com
have to put this: http://results.score-this.com/...40817FORGResults.pdf
in the search engine and hit enter and the results will pop up.

Last edited by: osteomark: Aug 19, 14 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [osteomark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notice how the first number matches his decade?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always enjoy seeing people wearing (only) bib shorts while racing.

I swear in Milwaukee during the Oly I saw a guy with just a pair of bibs, but they were on backwards. The chamois pad was all bunched up in the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was the only "55-". I would have been "50-" for the 50 yo's ( was # 176). You do bring up a good point, maybe he was sort of comic relief. Actually great joke if he was. I was thinking also "Did he bike in those shoes and maybe on a Mountain bike without cages even?" I did see some mountain bike without cages but they were in the relay. The relayers had red numbers as opposed to the solo triathlete with black numbers. Just an odd site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a guy running with his helmet on at the 2575 Las Olas in Ft Lauderdale. Classic n00b move ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last race there was a guy that did his swim in 1980's jams. Then rode a bmx bike. It was an Olympic distance race that took him an hour to do the swim, 2 hours for the bike and then he crushed the run with a Forrest Gump style 6 minute/mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to tell a guy his wetsuit was on backwards last weekend - he insisted he wanted to wear it that way so he wouldn't have to reach around the back to unzip it when he got out of the water - finally convinced him it would be a bad day on his throat with all that material bunched up under his chin...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chatted with a dude before a sprint tri who had 4 bottles on his bike. Two behind the seat, one down, and one in the aero bars. I asked him if he planned on drinking all of that during the 13 mile ride. He said nope but you never can be too prepared.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, OK. I thought they often tried to put all the 20's in the 200's, 30's in the 300's etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got my top 3 and a request

#1 - Oceanside 70.3, walking around transition and watching someone slap them self (face, chest, stomach, face, shoulder...), selftalk loudly, take a squeeze from a water bottle and repeat. This went on for 4-5 minutes.
#2 - Local CO triathlon, a trophy wife/soccer mom who was very proud of her training, body showed up for the pool swim in a g-string bikini. According to a volunteer buddy, the suit 'didn't make it for the swim' and she stopped a few times and 'acted embarrassed'.
#3 - Another sprint tri with pool swim, someone showed up in a Speedo LZR and a person in their wave did the bike portion on a single speed bmx

My request, I know there is a photo floating around somewhere of someone doing the run in a wetsuit.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever get fast I would love to do the bike leg on one of these.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMLP years ago I remember a guy riding a vintage bike complete with a banana seat. It may even have been a chopper geometry.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicago has a whole division for people riding these

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Skibum232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skibum232 wrote:

#1 - Oceanside 70.3, walking around transition and watching someone slap them self (face, chest, stomach, face, shoulder...), selftalk loudly, take a squeeze from a water bottle and repeat. This went on for 4-5 minutes.
#2 - Local CO triathlon, a trophy wife/soccer mom who was very proud of her training, body showed up for the pool swim in a g-string bikini. According to a volunteer buddy, the suit 'didn't make it for the swim' and she stopped a few times and 'acted embarrassed'.
#3 - Another sprint tri with pool swim, someone showed up in a Speedo LZR and a person in their wave did the bike portion on a single speed bmx

My request, I know there is a photo floating around somewhere of someone doing the run in a wetsuit.

In true ST fashion, re: #2, pics or it didn't happen!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I chatted with a dude before a sprint tri who had 4 bottles on his bike. Two behind the seat, one down, and one in the aero bars. I asked him if he planned on drinking all of that during the 13 mile ride. He said nope but you never can be too prepared.
This is the best post so far.

Quote | Reply
Oh if I had pics they would be here.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skibum232 wrote:
Oh if I had pics they would be here.

For future reference, this might come in handy http://gopro.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I passed a guy at Steelhead a couple weeks ago riding one of those. He was looking strong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several years ago at Donner Lake Tri (6000 feet alt. and cold as Tahoe), the guy who won the swim by a ton was wearing nothing but a pair of cut off blue jeans. He was probably a relay, but DAMN, Donner is serious wetsuit water and this guy was wearing jeans. A statement was made!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [ironwoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironwoman wrote:
Several years ago at Donner Lake Tri (6000 feet alt. and cold as Tahoe), the guy who won the swim by a ton was wearing nothing but a pair of cut off blue jeans. He was probably a relay, but DAMN, Donner is serious wetsuit water and this guy was wearing jeans. A statement was made!

Did he have a mullet also? That's impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [markwhickman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markwhickman wrote:
Had to tell a guy his wetsuit was on backwards last weekend .

A guy had his wetsuit on inside out this weekend. I politely told him and he said he had always worn it that way. He quickly changed it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spider wrote:
markwhickman wrote:
Had to tell a guy his wetsuit was on backwards last weekend .

A guy had his wetsuit on inside out this weekend. I politely told him and he said he had always worn it that way. He quickly changed it out.

I saw a guy with his wetsuit inside out last weekend too. First time I've seen that in my 12 years.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the Toronto Island Sprint in 2009, saw a guy ride a bike which had a mountain bike frame but outfitted with road bike tires on ZIPP 404 rims and aero bars on the standard mountain bike style cockpit. In the previous year watching a try-a-tri, a dude had a cruiser bike with a storage basket over his back wheel (the kind you would put shopping bags in) and he put his water bottles in it for his rride segment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skibum232 wrote:

That was probably Andy Potts. He tells a story about doing the same thing before a HIM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjlHoi5VzA8
Go to 58 minutes into the video that story starts at around the 1 hr mark.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens in a triathlon. [OhCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. I'm going to fess up on that one. 15 years ago I was going to do a sprint tri in Binghamton, NY and I had a 1996 Trek mountain bike and took it into the LBS and said, "Can I get this converted to a tri bike?". I was ready to put on clipless pedals and get the road bike seat and road bike handle bars with clip on aero's. He quickly said, "It would be a lot cheaper and a lighter bike if you buy this Nishiki CroMoly 12 speed.". And so I left the shop with my mountain bike and the Nishiki.
Never did do my first tri until 2012.
Quote Reply

Prev Next