Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 18 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 18 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week: run less than 45 miles close: I ran 47 miles, but I did take a day off. I'm calling it good. Bike 100 miles didn't happen. I did ride more than last week... . Swim T/Th only Tuesday. Do well w/ food did rather well. Even on the rest day - I usually end up bingeing on rest days - but I didn't yesterday. Quite pleased with self.

M:10 mi run + 40 min. stair master
T: 6.5 mi run + 8 mi bike + 1500m swim
W: 8 mi run + 10 mi bike
T: 6 mi run
F: 7 mi run* + 1 hr bike trainer
S: 9.5 mi run + lift
S: off

*workout. 4 x .25 mi, 2 x .5 mi, 1 x 1 mi @ 5k pace
totals: 1500 m swim, 33 mi bike, 47 mi run

Goals for this week:
run ~45 mi
bike more miles than I run
swim 1-2x
do well with food

I am under a significant amount of stress right now with school and I hate how it feels... sigh.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good re: food. Also good that you recognize the school stress so you can take countermeasures....

Decide if I want to do Leadman or not: pretty sure this is a no. I'd like to but honestly am concerned about spending that cash & time... sigh I am not worried about the swim nor the bike. I am worried about the run. not so much now, I have had a few good runs since the sprint and am feeling better about it all... If I don't then I might try another late season sprint. um no not at those prices $105 for a sprint? Skating starts in 3.5 weeks so I'll be getting busy with that soon... got my new blades back from being rockered and bent so am exited to get back on the ice...

This week: run 4x, ride 6x plus a big ride on the weekend, and I have to get to the pool before it closes for fall maintenance.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing great.
Last tri of the year was Saturday - sprint. It couldn't have gone better. Swim was in a river, out into the current, downstream, then back to shore exiting the current. There was an earlier race that my friend did. He advised me on how to navigate the current. I have to say, I executed it nearly perfectly. I hit the first turn buoy almost dead on. Then hit the swim finish dead on. My husband and aforementioned friend were watching from shore and said it was almost comical at how a large pack of the athletes went horribly wrong and had to swim a bit upstream. It was a good swim to do if you were alert and could keep your head and make adjustments while you were going. Bad swim for you if you are the athlete that puts their head down and charges forward relentlessly.
So, it got me out of the water as 4th female (not what usually happens to me). I felt great on the bike - it was a multi-loop course and part of it had a nice tailwind, and of course then the other way had headwind. But I felt good and felt like I managed the wind well. And then I ran my buns off. Turns out the bike course was short of 20k. But oh well. I felt great, had fun, raced well, and was happy with my placing.

I also instructed at the local CX clinic last Thurs. and will do so again this Thurs. It was a TON of fun and I got to help a few newbies, especially a nice new lady on her MTB.

This week is a 'do whatever' week and then we are headed away for a somewhat long weekend. I'll likely swim the local lake. :-) It's awesome, super clean, and no motor boats allowed! Only battery powered trolling motors. There's never been gas motors allowed on the lake ever. Spring fed.
and it's gorgeous there... with the cabin... and great food.

After that I can figure out my fall 'schedule' and what CX races the husband and I are doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 4: FAIL - 2 and a bit only. Got 10mins in on Tues before pool closed due to t-storm, pool closed unexpectedly on Thurs. Swam Sat & Sun.
Bike x 3: WIN though not as much as I should have
Run x 6: WIN including a really strong longer run than I've done for awhile
Core/strength x 4: WIN

This week's goals:
Swim x 2
Bike x 2
Run x 4
Core/strength x 4

We leave Sunday to go motorcycle touring so Saturday will likely be spent packing. Will be taking some running gear with me but may not have much time as we have a pretty full schedule.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
so I think that you in particular will get a kick out of this - our state fair was this past week. I was tutoring a guy who had a car in it. (He got a good grade in the class and I had a lot of fun tutoring, plus am proud at having successfully helped him from a 70 average to an 81). I got to sit in the car the morning of the demo derby...

so that was some of my fun last week. Two demo derbies and other fair stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool! Demo derby is great fun!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I tend to be more of a stalker than participant here but figured I would share - I completed my first ever 70.3 this past Sunday at Timberman in NH at age 51 - what a great experience! Definitely overachieved on my main goal of having fun and keeping a smile on my face the entire time. Came fairly close to my time goals which were a big stretch as well - 46 high on the swim (hoped for under 45), 3:08 on the bike (goal was 3:10) and 2:03 on the run (goal was 2 hours). Spent extra time in transition to use the port-o-let (who does that, haha!) and put on dry socks each time but I figured it was more important to be comfortable and not have awful blisters post-race. Now basking in the post-race glow and soreness, still wearing compression tights!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've made my two training sessions each of the last two weeks out the very last bit of my willpower.

I'm noticeably falling apart and, since our move to Utah, we have new health insurance, so I have to deal with a new set of docs. I finally got my husband to hold my hand while I called and asked for therapists/psychotherapists to help me deal with my severe anxiety and depression issues. I was given 5 names to call and left messages with 3 (one was actually for children) and none has replied in a week. So round 2 looming. Eff this noise, as my best friend (who is off in China for 6 weeks) would say.

I'm having trouble convincing my trainer that focusing on one muscle group for the entire session is too much for me. I mentioned it multiple times today and guess what? All we did was legs. It's getting old.

Also, the people in Utah... So I was out at sushi tonight and the Little League World Series was on the tv above the bar. The amazing Mo'Ne Davis was pitching and the woman next to me remarked "is that a girl!?" I replied "Yeah! She's amazing and pitches a 70MPH fastball!!! She's such an inspiration!" The woman's reply: "Oh, how sad she can't just play softball with other girls".

On a positive note, I have a 5k this Saturday that will be flat and fast. Woo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 18 Edition [AC Tri Girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep trying. If it gets too hard to make the phone calls, get your husband to do it. And don't stop till you find someone.

Sounds like it's time for a new trainer - or for them to at least explain their rationale for the plan.

Good luck with the 5km.

And good luck with the rest of it. I had a ridiculously hard time asking for help when I was depressed & felt like a moron when I realized how badly I needed it & how much it helped. Good for you for being strong enough to reach out.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 18 Edition [KMG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congratulations on finishing your first HIM!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to echo what edbikebabe said - keep reaching out. It's too bad the 3 you left messages with didn't call back just to tell you that they were full. (One would think therapists would be a bit more considerate).

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 18 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, ladies.

Making round 2 of calls today.*deep breath*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, way to keep at it, one step/day/hour at a time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you made the 2nd round of calls and I hope someone calls back :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AC Tri Girl wrote:
I've made my two training sessions each of the last two weeks out the very last bit of my willpower.

I'm noticeably falling apart and, since our move to Utah, we have new health insurance, so I have to deal with a new set of docs. I finally got my husband to hold my hand while I called and asked for therapists/psychotherapists to help me deal with my severe anxiety and depression issues. I was given 5 names to call and left messages with 3 (one was actually for children) and none has replied in a week. So round 2 looming. Eff this noise, as my best friend (who is off in China for 6 weeks) would say.

I'm having trouble convincing my trainer that focusing on one muscle group for the entire session is too much for me. I mentioned it multiple times today and guess what? All we did was legs. It's getting old.

Also, the people in Utah... So I was out at sushi tonight and the Little League World Series was on the tv above the bar. The amazing Mo'Ne Davis was pitching and the woman next to me remarked "is that a girl!?" I replied "Yeah! She's amazing and pitches a 70MPH fastball!!! She's such an inspiration!" The woman's reply: "Oh, how sad she can't just play softball with other girls".

On a positive note, I have a 5k this Saturday that will be flat and fast. Woo.

If you have out of network coverage, it may just be worth it to find someone else. That's what I did when my husband left (oh yeah, about that - that's where I've been...) a few weeks ago and finding someone who specializes in exactly all of what I have been dealing with is way more valuable than the difference I am paying with my insurance. At this point, I don't care. I would rather stay sane and help myself.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 18 Edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch. Sorry to hear that, but it's good you are taking care of yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:-(

Hugs. Hang in there.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a fun morning today. Did a challenge event in the river valley this morning. 25km of biking with 15 sets of stairs along the way. And you had to carry your bike up/down the stairs. It was hard, but easier than I thought it would be. Not sore yet, but I'm sure DOMS will kick my butt.

I have next week off work & I'm two weeks out from an enduro cross race, so I hope the weather holds and I can get some long rides in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really sorry. Hang in there. Glad you found a good therapist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you're coping in a healthy way - my first go-to is alcohol... I'm trying to work my way away from that, especially before I start any psych meds.

I've considered the private practice route, too, and will definitely end up there if nothing else pans out... I'm just trying to take advantage of any resources available. It just sucks when the system makes it hard to get help when you most need it.

With a mug of tea in hand,

-AC

Quote Reply