Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
My MIL is soo selfish (can I get a "How selfish is she?"?) that she doesn't even know how selfish she is. Even after 18+ years marriage, I am still pissed at her for causing our wedding to start over an hour later than originally scheduled. Here I thought it was on account of weather (we did have a hurricane blow through the night before), but I found out a year later that it was because she didn't start getting ready until 5 minutes before the start time. Thank gawd she lives in SW New Mexico - "2062 miles and 4 days driving" as her boyfriend says.

For some reason, I thought you were a man. Because only a woman would hold a grudge over, or even remember, what happened on the wedding day.

to be fair, if it cut into the open bar time he has a right to be POed.

What self-respecting groom isn't already drunk and doesn't have a flask in his pocket?

Hey now, 8 am in a courthouse isn't a good time to get hammered!

My MIL is a trip. Both of my in laws are very self centered, you'd think with 3 kids and 6 grandkids they might have some concerns for others...
Best part is for the last 2 years, they've lived 750 miles away. For the 6 years before that, it was 2,500 miles. They visited us once when we lived in California, and once in Mass.
Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When we told my MIL that my wife was pregnant with our first child (my wife is her only daughter btw), the first words out of her mouth were "Can you afford it?" We have both had professional jobs from the moment we left college 10 years ago and have no debt to our name.

The only good thing is, any issues I have with her, my wife feels the same way.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I wish mine was still alive.

Mine was great old dear... thought the world of their daughter ( my wife ), our daughter and me, as did my FIL.
actually, and I tell no lie, today is the 9th anniversary of her passing, and I know my wife still misses her dearly.
Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaaannndddd *just* after he tells me this my mom (his MIL) pop's in. It's like he cursed himself hahaha ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tell people that we were an arrainged marriage.

My mother in law used to work with my dad. I knew my in laws before I met Mrs. Billabong and she knew my parents before we met.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avago wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I wish mine was still alive.

Mine was great old dear... thought the world of their daughter ( my wife ), our daughter and me, as did my FIL.
actually, and I tell no lie, today is the 9th anniversary of her passing, and I know my wife still misses her dearly.

My son never got to meet either of his grandmas. MIL died in September of '05. My mom died a month later. We brought our boy home in December of that year.

Fuckers.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
My MIL lives in the house right in front of us, probably 80-100 feet away....the list of stories is pretty much endless.

~Matt

You're doing it wrong. All wrong. So much wrong.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch. That would have been very hard on you and Mrs. Duffy.
Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
MJuric wrote:
My MIL lives in the house right in front of us, probably 80-100 feet away....the list of stories is pretty much endless.

~Matt

You're doing it wrong. All wrong. So much wrong.

My In-laws and parents live less than a 1/4 mile apart and are very good friends. The Dads are not in the greatest health but usually when one is feeling bad the other is good so they help each other out when needed.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My MIL has dementia and has threatened to live to 100 just to spite us. Other then that she's a great lady.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My MIL is certifiably nuts, but my wife is very upfront about putting her in her place. Her big thing is planning weddings and other events, I guess that is the type of stuff you get into when you've never in your life had an actual job. As soon as we got engaged she began hoarding decorations and planning our wedding; man was she pissed when we eloped.

She also gets very upset that we spend more time with my family, who lives 5min away. The in-laws are 2.5hrs away, don't have space for us when we come (2bdr home and my younger brother in-laws share the spare), and they live in a tiny town with nothing to do; it's kind of a hassle to visit. My wife made an agreement that we'd make one day trip per month and she is more than welcome to come spend the day with her granddaughter when she wants to drive down to us.

I pretty much never have to deal with her, the wife sets the ground rules. My FIL on the other hand is super cool.
Last edited by: stop2think: Jul 30, 14 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
My MIL is soo selfish (can I get a "How selfish is she?"?) that she doesn't even know how selfish she is. Even after 18+ years marriage, I am still pissed at her for causing our wedding to start over an hour later than originally scheduled. Here I thought it was on account of weather (we did have a hurricane blow through the night before), but I found out a year later that it was because she didn't start getting ready until 5 minutes before the start time. Thank gawd she lives in SW New Mexico - "2062 miles and 4 days driving" as her boyfriend says.

For some reason, I thought you were a man. Because only a woman would hold a grudge over, or even remember, what happened on the wedding day.

What self-respecting groom isn't already drunk and doesn't have a flask in his pocket?

Well, since we had to pay for the wedding, I/my wife had every right to be pissed at her mother. Because she showed up so late, she screwed our/my plans of getting our "drunk" on - our guests were well into the "good stuff", including having eaten all the hor d'oeuvres, by the time we got to the reception.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My MIL is pretty great. Actually all my in-laws are great. I spend more time hanging out with my wife's parents and her brother (we all live within 10 miles of each other) than I do any of my family or friends. Sure they may pop-in sometime when we want to relax but I generally find myself wanting to hang out with her family.

Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

Well, since we had to pay for the wedding, I/my wife had every right to be pissed at her mother. Because she showed up so late, she screwed our/my plans of getting our "drunk" on - our guests were well into the "good stuff", including having eaten all the hor d'oeuvres, by the time we got to the reception.

Called it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son never got to meet either of his grandmas. MIL died in September of '05. My mom died a month later. We brought our boy home in December of that year.

Fuckers. //

My son was only 5 weeks old and my mom was real sick and lived in Vermont. We got a flight( actually 3 flight legs) to go see her, then hurricane irene hit the east coast and all flights were cancelled. We got the first flight after, but she died durning the storm. She at least got to know she had a grandson( the only one) and see some pics of him. I hope that was some comfort in her last days. My MIL is still doing pretty well and is only 3 hours away now, so he gets to have a grandma that isn't living in the sky. Except for the tea party antics, she is a pretty cool lady. Some of you guys in the LV room would just love her!!

Mother.//
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Suddenly your voluminous posting makes more sense...it's clearly a deep need for escapism.

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
Quote Reply
Re: Mothers in laws...argh [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Some of you guys in the LV room would just love her!!
I pretty much love all old ladies. There are exceptions, of course, like one of the ladies next door who always huffs and slams her widows shut whenever we dare to have a conversation while in our backyard.

My father-in-law has since re-married (again) so we have a quasi-grandma-relief-pitcher, but honestly, her grandma skills are pretty weak.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next