Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How did you meet your other half and how long have you been together?
Quote | Reply
Thought this would be a fun thread! We both had motorbikes and I joined a motorbike club and asked various questions about my bike, this guy was quite helpful which I appreciated. The club organised a run day out and we both went on it. We knew what we looked like with picture so we spotted each other right away, we talked on and off all day til it was time to go home and he asked were I worked, well his face was a picture !!!!! We both worked for the same company different depots and we both are truck drivers we couldn't stop laughing. That was 6 yrs ago.

"my fashion is more a way of living life with your roots, and finding your own true self, than having a logo to put on your back"
https://www.facebook.com/nextshe
http://www.nextshe.com
Last edited by: ivanova: Apr 17, 14 20:12
Quote Reply
Re: How did you meet your other half and how long have you been together? [ivanova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We met riding bikes on a local bike path. He chatted me up, took me to dinner, yadda, yadda, moved in one week later. We've been together 25 years now. And still ride together. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How did you meet your other half and how long have you been together? [ivanova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were in the same tri club. I was just getting back into running after some time off for an injury and he very sweetly ran next to me and encouraged me along. We were instantly attracted to each other. Then we started having breakfast after team workouts and he finally asked me to dinner. We were engaged a little over a year after we first met and married 5 months later.

He's the best. Now he's taking excellent care of me as I recover from surgery on that very same injury...I'm a very lucky person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was sitting at the bar at Applebee's, chatting with another regular who works in my same industry. The third time we ran into each other, he told me to order another drink and that he'd be back in 20 minutes - he had someone he wanted me to meet. He showed up, we chatted, got along like gangbusters. Then the mutual friend left (a little awkward, because I had some drinks and didn't want to drive the new guy home that late at night), but I ended up bringing him home anyway. I told him "you can have the couch or half the bed, but ain't nothin' happenin'". He took the bed and I put on my un-sexiest long pajamas (which to this day he finds very sexy... forbidden fruit and all that). I woke up and he asked if I had any plans for Thursday - he'd made reservations at a very nice French restaurant. He moved in after that date. He proposed a year to the day later and we've been together 3.5 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I met at a scuba diving social party that was held by our local dive shop every February. . One of my dive buddies knew her and had been trying to set us up for a blind date. Later in the evening when I had already had a few drinks my buddy drags me over and introduces me to my future wife. At this time in my life I had been through a divorce and a girlfriend of three years had dumped me six months earlier so I was not really thinking I wanted a relationship. In fact I was in rough emotional shape at that time. So I sit down and talk awhile having a few more drinks. At the end of the night she says to me "we should go for a dive sometime", to which I respond like the tipsy idiot I was "hey baby, I'd dive on you on any time."

The next morning I wake up with a hangover and feeling like a fool. A few days later my buddy telephones me and edges me on to call her up for a date "because she really does like you". I tell him that the reality is that she must think I'm an asshole from what I said at the party. To which he responds "yeah that too, but do call her because I'm telling you, she really does like you".

A few days later I gathered up my courage to give her a call but expecting the worst. We talked on the phone for a couple of hours and at the end I asked for a date and much to my surprise the answer was affirmative. The rest is history. That was about 17 yrs ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met my husband the old fashioned way. On match.com. Two bike ride dates (he has a great heinie, and I knew I could sit on his wheel and stare at that ass for the rest of my life), and one dinner date and that was it. Been together 9 years, married 2 in June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm in this bar...first night out after separating from my husband 14 months earlier. I'd been chatting with my boss, who was there at the bar, when he comes up to me a bit later and says "That guy over there wants to know if you're single". Turns out "that guy" knew friends of my boss who were also at said bar, and inquired with the friends, who then inquired with the boss...you know the story. Eventually he approaches me and says..."Hey, didn't we go to kindergarten together?". WTF? What kind of pick up line is THAT??? Closer look and I realize he is right, we DID go to kindergarten and first grade together, as well as all through school. Back in school - me, pure as driven snow, him - party animal. Now - me, lazy ass smoker, him - uber athlete extraordinaire. So, then as in now, nothing in common. I figure he's not my type (but after 20+ years with my husband I don't really know WHAT my type is at that point). I brush him off a bit that night but he Facebooks me the next day. Go back and forth with that for a few weeks, have a first date. Smoking is a deal breaker so I quit just to see where this could go. 6 weeks later he says hey I'm going to Kona in October, want to come with me? Um, ya I'll go to Hawaii with you! We bought a house together the following year, got married the year after that. Been together 5 years now but known each other for 37 years...;) I do triathlons now and suck at it, but at least it keeps some of the weight off from quitting smoking! Oh and I loved the comment about the hot heinie...same thing here. I could ride behind that ass all day...;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met wife in '73 while in college. She dated a friend of mine a couple of times. Wife, friend, my date and I went to eat pizza together and I kept looking across the table thinking "dang, I wish I was with her". My date got pissed because I talked to my wife more then her that night. Ran into my wife a few days later and after a short chat, I asked her out. Been together 41 years, married 38 of them.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well my left half met my right half in utero (haha, not funny I know,), but other than that, I'm still looking & trying to find another soul of the male varity to complement my nerdy-meets-triathlete persona :/
Lovely to read such sweet, and occasionally awkward, moments of others' meetings though :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine went on a hike with her co-worker and his roommate (and a bunch of other people) on a weekend I couldn't go (I really can't remember why not though). After they got back, my friend said I HAD to meet this guy. He's awesome, funny, cute etc. - he'd be perfect for me. I had been on a blind date once and said absolutely NEVER again, so we devised a plan that I'd get a bunch of my coworkers together, she'd get a bunch of her coworkers together and we'd all gather for drinks one night. It was the day Jonny Cash died. We all got together and one of my coworkers was all over him! I was a little bummed, but as the night progressed (and me being the only one besides my friend knowing this whole thing was for me to meet future hubby) he knew he didn't like her and he and I got to talking and we totally hit it off. Our first official date was a week or so later while I was driving back from a trip to Las Vegas on my way to Denver, stopped back home for dinner with him. Literally pulled off the interstate, had dinner with him, then drove off again to Denver for a flight to Indianapolis. Saw him again when I got back from Indy, and we've have been inseparable ever since. Our 8th anniversary is in less than 3 weeks. Funny side note is the girl that was initially all over my hubs to be at drinks that night ended up dating his roommate for a couple of years! Was a good not-so-blind-date for more than me! My husband still insists he picked me up at a bar - just because he won't admit he was set up by his roommates coworker!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We met at the New York City triathlon in 2002. Spent 5 years dating long distance (plane ride & different time zones long distance) before finally getting our act together to move to the same city and get married in 2007. Looking back, I'd have to say that was my best race ever! ;)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also met my husband on match in Dec 2012. We were living on opposite sides of Colorado at the time and I almost canceled the date because my friend was having people over to watch the broncos game on their outdoor big screen. I thought he sounded like a really nice guy so I didn't want to cancel. I asked my friend if I could bring him and her husband said "he better not steal anything" (a great ongoing joke now). We immediately hit it off and within a month I knew for sure he was the one. Good thing since 6 months later we found out we were expecting! Now have been married 6 months and have a wonderful 2 month old baby boy. I would not do a single thing differently. Funny thing is we were long distance until 2 weeks before our wedding and I never had a single doubt about us.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitnesssingles.com

Our first meet up was at an organized ride and he had on the most hideous cycling kit imaginable. Horrible. Really horrible. I had some friends with me and one of them said "he's really nice and you can work on that fashion thing for him." She got a picture of us on that ride and framed it as a wedding gift. :-)

We've been married almost 3, together 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met working at Taco Bell as kids. We've been together for 22 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met at a bike shop. I was in the process of buying my first tri bike. Took a while of just hanging out but then that was it. Been together 12, married 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took a new job, and they have you work for a week in all departments to see how the whole company's process works from receiving product, picking orders, packaging, shipping, etc. First day I was taken to the receiving department and met a guy with great tattoos who actually knew my favourite scummy old punk rock bands. We were both involved with other people at the time, but he kicked his girl out for cheating on him & kept asking when I was moving in. About 2 weeks later (2 months to the day after we first met) I ended up coming to work with bags in hand after a barn-burner of a fight with my useless ex-fiance. Moved in that night, then 3 months later he moved half a country away from his entire family with me when I told him I needed to go home after a couple of years in a city I didn't much like.

Said he'd never get married again (had a prior marriage that ended in divorce after 9 months), but asked me to be his wife less than a year after we met. Waited a year until we could hold the wedding at a particular annual event that meant a lot to us and our friends, and have never looked back since except to smile. Moved into our house exactly 2 years after I moved into his apartment in Edmonton - living together since November 2001, married August 2003, and have only spent 2 or 3 nights apart during that time (his family flew him back for a visit to Alberta in 2002 & I couldn't afford to join him).

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met on our cycling team. He was there first, Ironclm and I joined the team in 2007. It's been 6 years since we officially started dating. Getting married in 6 months.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigslist ! He responded to my post…….and we've been together since then.
8+ years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
match.com... I had a few dates before Chris that were just okay. He and I met for a glass of wine, talked for 3 hours, and the rest was history. He'd been working out at the gym but wanted to try some cycling. He bought an inexpensive Cannondale mtb and we started to do some offroad riding. We ride, run and swim together now, but getting out on the trails to ride together is still our favorite workout. We always come off the trails smiling, dirty and sometimes a little bloody : ) We married this past October after a little over a year of dating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backstage on my first professional theatre job. I was on the stage management team, he was on the stage crew. It was a really long run (3 months) and working on a show is like living in a tiny town, you spend pretty much all of your time with the same 10-12 people. There was speculation of whether he liked boys or girls, so when he asked me and our very gay wardrobe guy to a party at his house, I wasn't really sure what to think. But I had an inkling that he was in to me, so I decided to take a chance and go.

We get to his house, where the party is already in progress (it was a birthday party for his friend who had a super-tiny studio apartment) and the first words out of his mouth were "You guys used my big bowl for chips?!" I was intrigued that he owned a big bowl for a purpose other than chips. We started dating after that night, almost 19 years ago and will be married for 17 years on 4/27.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: How did you meet your other half and how long have you been together? [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what was the intended use of the "big bowl?"
Quote Reply
Re: How did you meet your other half and how long have you been together? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His family makes a pirogue-like (potato dumplings) dish at Christmas, which is what he theoretically used the big bowl for. (It should be noted that in the four or five years that we owned that bowl, he didn't use it once. It was a HUGE metal bowl! It finally went to Goodwill when it didn't fit into our kitchen cupboards for the fourth time.) ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: How did you meet your other half and how long have you been together? [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the pub after a 10 mile race in Dublin 4 years ago. We were friends for a good while, two and a half years a couple now, and getting married in summer 2015.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our parents had a permanent campsite at a local campground. We pretty much spent summers there growing up. Started dating in high school and the rest is history. Married 33 years now and still in love!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next