xlab torpedo kompact
Quote | Reply
has anyone used this? wondering if it will hold the speedfil bottle

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested as well and was looking for reviews on the web this past week. I hope someone chimes in.

I currently use a Speedfil Z4 with Specialized Purist bottles. I really like the Z4, but for it to fit I had the bottle points backwards and can sometimes drip on the headset and the computer mount rattles on rougher pavement. I also like the aero bar mount system for the Kompact. It is a little more simplified compared to how I have the Z4 mounted. Because my aero bars are slightly turned inward and are narrow up by the shifters I may still have to point the bottle backwards on the Kompact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm considering this as well. I've spent some time researching various hydration options and was surprised when someone posted a link to a Tri Talk episode (76?) recently. They did some wind tunnel studies and I was surprised at how little time was lost over the course of an IM by drinking out of a traditional bottle, especially if you were able to keep one arm on your pad so you remained relatively aero. Unfortunately they only tested at 0 yaw. It seems like it would be easier for someone like me who plans to rely on concentrated bottles of Infinit (1 to start, 1 behind the seat in case I lose one, and 1 at special needs). I will pick up water at the aid stations and put it in the down tube. It's obviously not the fastest solution, but I don't think I am giving up 10 min + or anything like that and I don't have to worry about refilling a BTA system and spills (which seem to be a constant complaint). Keep in mind I'm a slow cyclist (6.5 hours) and am nowhere near the pointy end of the race. The price is also great compared to many of the BTA systems.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do we take into account - aero penalty when refilling the bottle upfront
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the link

http://tri-talk.com/76/

I believe he assumes you have to come out of aero to refill everything and assumes the time is the same. If he didn't factor that in it might make something like the Kompact slightly more favorable, or at least less worse, if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it. Not sure on the speedfill fit but I will say it grips the whole heck out of any bottle you put in it. Maybe too much so mounting forward is not a problem. The computer mount is nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have it but I've heard from others that it does not like to hold any bottle besides the one it comes with. According to xlab it will also hold the insulated version of the included bottle but that is sold separately.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [TriNickK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use it with a normal bottle no problems. The one it comes with is the same shape but has the pressure valve. Both are a tight fit for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had it for around a month. I don't know if it holds the speedfil bottle but every bottle I've put in it, it's gripped just fine. So far it's best best BTA solution I've used.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. The person who told me he couldn't get it to fit was trying to fit an insulated bottle. Maybe that is the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet. Normal bottles are a real tight fit so insulated would be even tighter. Compared to my normal bta cage, the kompact cage is way tighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where the kompact will excel is plain consumer water bottles handed out in halfs and fulls. Those rattled around loosely in my old cage. Not this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
The computer mount is nice.

Is there any sort of noise or rattling between the computer mount and bottle?
This has been my one issue with the Z4, but most of the time it is solved because if my hands are resting next to the mount it solves the noise. On the occasion I move my hands it will rattle some on rougher roads.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No rattle for me. The mount is equally as tight as the cage IMO. So tight my bet is I break either the cage or mount at some point when pulling a bottle out during a race. However, you can't have it both ways. If it was a bit looser I bet it would rattle. My old BTA cage would allow the bottle to work forward over bumps so I mounted it backwards. Aid station bottles were also too loose. he Kompact is so tight I be you could literally mount it pointed DOWN and not loose a bottle. At $35 it's a sweet setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you install a different cage on the mount if you wanted or are you stuck with the one provided? Just wondering in case of a crack or break on the cage if you are SOL or can just replace that part but retain the computer mount piece and the xlab mount that velcros on.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. The plate is a normal plate just shaped like a triangle. Both screw into the plate with two screws. However, the computer mount shape matches the gaps on the provided bottle cage. I'm sure you could find one that was close, but the cage and mount are designed to "fit" each other. You might create some gap between the two with a replacement cage and that could cause some rattling between the two. Look at the picture of one and see what I mean. The bottom half of the bottle cage has a decent gap between where the bottle hits and the middle portion.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expressed interest in this thread a while back and finally jumped in to give the Kompact a try. I have not officially tried it out on the road other than a short spin up the street. Anyway I have some pictures posted today if anyone else is curious about this mount.

http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...edo-kompact-100.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, if it's not too much trouble, could you by any chance see how narrow you can arrange the mount? On other previous bta systems I've had, they can't fit because my extensions are too close to each other.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
Hey, if it's not too much trouble, could you by any chance see how narrow you can arrange the mount? On other previous bta systems I've had, they can't fit because my extensions are too close to each other.

I checked the paperwork and it says between 70 and 84mm center to center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh, I might have to look into this. Thanks very much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops....just a moment...

85mm - 150mm center to center, for extensions 70mm to 84 center to center use the Rear Position.
If I get a moment I can take mine off and get some measurements. I should have done that before I mounted it anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry - just saw this thread pop up. Glad Felt_Rider helped out!

The total range is 70mm to 150mm (measured center to center). For those 70mm to 84mm wide, you will need to move the cage back, into the rear position.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it come w/out the mounting plate (for P5)?

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi David,

Unfortunately no. You could re-sell the plate/clamps - just yesterday I saw a plate/clamps being used without the computer mount so there are buyers that would want it!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: xlab torpedo kompact [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yayyyy! I just might have to try this. I was going to revert to a custom alu baseplate zip tied to the extensions, with one of the narrow little aero water bottles with a hole drilled in and some medical tubing for a straw. But this looks nice too :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next