Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wonky rings, seat height, position and short cranks.
Quote | Reply
Generally the research says wonky rings don't do much.

But I've always wondered the interaction between non-round rings, seat height/position and crank length.

When your seat is lower/aero position particularly, there is more compromise at the top of the stroke, in this situation a non-round ring which minimises this and increases load in the 2-4oclock position would surely be more beneficial than its use on a road bike with a more open hip angle. correct?
anyone else found this?

I also find the relationship with short cranks interesting, I find it much easier to put out power with short (155) cranks on non-round ring as it keeps me in the power phase longer, which I find with the short cranks can be a problem, as you sometimes feel like you haven't got time to apply full force

any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: wonky rings, seat height, position and short cranks. [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've messed with Osy's a couple of times for different reasons. The last time (a year or so ago) I was thinking along the same lines... low saddle, easier at the top (where the hip angle is tightest)

Like pretty much every time I've used them, I couldn't tell any difference (other than it being a pita to set up and the odd feeling you get with osy's exaggerated shape) and took them off. As far as I can tell, my #'s, rpe, hr, etc don't really care what shape my rings are. Of course that's all n=1

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: wonky rings, seat height, position and short cranks. [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
I do find non-round rings interesting, but I feel they are only an advantage at certain times. As I say if you are sat up and have full range of movement I think the impact is minimal at best, but I feel they may help in the situation of lower saddle and or shorter cranks.
Quote Reply