Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

where to live in San Diego near Hillcrest that's good for training?
Quote | Reply
I'll be working at UCSD Hillcrest for a year. I would love a very short commute, preferably avoiding freeways as I will be working long hours. I can drive if necessary. Budget not really a concern--all neighborhoods are way cheaper than SF where I moved from. It must be a safe neighborhood (wife + baby), and I am not a huge fan of the generic apartment complexes in highly commercial areas (e.g. what I have seen in Mission Valley). I'm thinking La Jolla is a bit far. Are any areas near Balboa Park nice and also good for training?

thanks for any ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: where to live in San Diego near Hillcrest that's good for training? [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mission hills, North park, Bankers hill, any of the surrounding neighborhoods really. The riding is stop and go in the city, so you'll want to head toward north county or east into the hills for good riding. And there's Fiesta Island close by.
Quote Reply
Re: where to live in San Diego near Hillcrest that's good for training? [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second North Park and Bankers Hill as close places to live, and both have great access to the Balboa Park trails. Riding's not great (unless you want to go to the velodrome and ride in circles) - stop and go and lots of one way streets where people don't look before turning. Mission Valley probably has best access for riding - there is a bike path that goes out to the beaches, and some pretty established routes to ride east. But everything there is big complexes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellowship or a postdoc at UCSD Hillcrest?

I live in University Heights and bike commute right past UCSD Hillcrest on my way up to main campus (I'm a grad student). Well, I did, and will resume as soon as my clavicle heals. Right now I tend to spend a goodly amount of time walking to the UCSD Hillcrest hospital to take the bus up to main campus, and can't wait for that to end. :)

The parts generally considered "North Park" and "Hillcrest" are a bit more for the younger crowd, as would everything south of Adams in Normal Heights. That said, it tends to form into pockets (e.g. south of University between Park and about Utah is all nice neighborhoods). Mission Hills and the stuff right in between Scripps Mercy and UCSD Hillcrest is really quite nice, so that'd be my first recommendation (followed by Mission Hills east of Eagle. South Park is nice too, and wouldn't make for an egregious commute on a converted MTB either. My neighborhood is great as well, especially as you get further away from Texas and El Cajon/Washington--run into plenty of med students around here, since their rotations tend to be down this way.

Parking sucks around UCSD Hillcrest, so if you can do the bike thing, you'll be much happier and likely faster. Pretty sure there's a locked bike area over by the parking structure, if you can't plop your bike in your office.

The area is super walkable and very easy to get to the hospital. Biking around here as far as biking-biking kind of sucks (generally makes you want to drive to places to ride), running around the neighborhoods and Balboa park is plenty nice (and Mission Trails early in the AM if you're inclined to drive). I believe the YMCA down in Mission Valley is pretty decent for swimming, but given I work across the street from the extremely nice UCSD pools (main campus), I tend to go there. Well, again, did....gaaaaahhh heal faster!!!!

Shoot me a PM if you've got further questions. I'll be happy to help as I can.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Last edited by: Derf: May 30, 15 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: where to live in San Diego near Hillcrest that's good for training? [Jwizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the previous posters with the Mission Hill and North Park areas if you're looking to stay really close to Hillcrest.

I know you said La Jolla is a bit far, but I went to undergrad at UCSD and enjoyed living/training around that area. It's a bit farther north than downtown La Jolla so it might be totally outside of what you're looking for. However, the benefits I found while in the area were partly associated with some of the UCSD facilites (which I'm not sure you'll have access to?). There are some nice running trails on the campus in addition to tracks. Also some nice pools (definitely nicer than what I'm getting here in Boston) w/ masters sessions.

The riding is also really convenient. It's really quick to get to the 101 and there are a number of group/club rides that leave from near UCSD and go out to a number of places.

There's a mix of housing around there to. Taller "luxury" high rises, mid height condo complexes, and townhouses were the 3 types that I encountered.
Quote Reply
Re: where to live in San Diego near Hillcrest that's good for training? [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
Fellowship or a postdoc at UCSD Hillcrest?

I live in University Heights and bike commute right past UCSD Hillcrest on my way up to main campus (I'm a grad student). Well, I did, and will resume as soon as my clavicle heals. Right now I tend to spend a goodly amount of time walking to the UCSD Hillcrest hospital to take the bus up to main campus, and can't wait for that to end. :)

The parts generally considered "North Park" and "Hillcrest" are a bit more for the younger crowd, as would everything south of Adams in Normal Heights. That said, it tends to form into pockets (e.g. south of University between Park and about Utah is all nice neighborhoods). Mission Hills and the stuff right in between Scripps Mercy and UCSD Hillcrest is really quite nice, so that'd be my first recommendation (followed by Mission Hills east of Eagle. South Park is nice too, and wouldn't make for an egregious commute on a converted MTB either. My neighborhood is great as well, especially as you get further away from Texas and El Cajon/Washington--run into plenty of med students around here, since their rotations tend to be down this way.

Parking sucks around UCSD Hillcrest, so if you can do the bike thing, you'll be much happier and likely faster. Pretty sure there's a locked bike area over by the parking structure, if you can't plop your bike in your office.

The area is super walkable and very easy to get to the hospital. Biking around here as far as biking-biking kind of sucks (generally makes you want to drive to places to ride), running around the neighborhoods and Balboa park is plenty nice (and Mission Trails early in the AM if you're inclined to drive). I believe the YMCA down in Mission Valley is pretty decent for swimming, but given I work across the street from the extremely nice UCSD pools (main campus), I tend to go there. Well, again, did....gaaaaahhh heal faster!!!!

Shoot me a PM if you've got further questions. I'll be happy to help as I can.

dont ride your p5 with race wheels on the streets. get a $200 craigslist beater and gain some fitness and handling skills. you can bike to mission trails and run for a nice brick. this city is bikable. LA on the other hand is highly not.
Quote Reply
Re: where to live in San Diego near Hillcrest that's good for training? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone for your replies. Very helpful.

Sounds like there are a few good neighborhoods around there at least for running and swimming. For riding, I'll be trainer-only during the week and wouldn't mind driving out of town a bit on Saturday mornings to get to the good roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mission Hills.
Quote Reply