Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike?
Quote | Reply
I want to make a few upgrades to my bike, it's a 2008 Felt b12, excellent condition, only about 3000 miles on it. Everything is still stock. I would like a list of maybe the top 5 things not counting wheels that could be beneficial on this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [Backatit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig Omega X brake, new aerobars, and a Dark Speed Works bag are great upgrades.

However, we need more information. What is your hydration setup? I wouldn't spend a ton of money considering a new P2 is not too expensive

Post a picture of your bike

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 1, 15 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an old profile design aero drink that I used in the past as well an xlab torpedo mount that I have yet to use.
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [Backatit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shave your legs!
(and arms)
Last edited by: phog: Sep 1, 15 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Bike fit. (To that end you may need a new front end, or not.) Your position on the bike is 80% of it.
2) Wheels
3) Frame (Obviously you are not doing this.)
4) Everything else like brakes, hydration setup, etc.... Small incremental improvements that may add up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rear wheel cover
latex tubes
Conti GP 4000 tires
areo helmet

work on position - get low to get fast
work on pedal stroke/technique
run less - bike more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The position and whatever is needed to attain it
Aero helmet
The engine and whatever is needed to attain it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backatit wrote:
I want to make a few upgrades to my bike, it's a 2008 Felt b12, excellent condition, only about 3000 miles on it. Everything is still stock. I would like a list of maybe the top 5 things not counting wheels that could be beneficial on this bike.

That's the thing to upgrade, right there ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adamo or other split nose saddle (dash, hilo, sitero, etc.). Being able to hold a good aero position for the duration of the bike is the single fastest upgrade you can make

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Backatit wrote:

That's the thing to upgrade, right there ;-)
yeah yeah... I'm working on it. Just started back after some time away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've put 15 kilometres on my bike this year so far.

I have a race coming up in a little under 2 weeks.

:-/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't already have one, power meter! There are a ton of options now and prices are definitely coming down.
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
1) Bike fit. (To that end you may need a new front end, or not.) Your position on the bike is 80% of it.
2) Wheels
3) Frame (Obviously you are not doing this.)
4) Everything else like brakes, hydration setup, etc.... Small incremental improvements that may add up.
when I bought the bike I had a good fitting, it has been a long 7 years ago though.
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you read the omega white paper? It is definitely not that great of an upgrade a bang for the buck in terms of net aerodynamic gain. A good base bar costs the same amount but offers way more potential savings over a crappy wide basebar.

Here is what the OP should focus on/change
1. Fit and form fitting race wear
2. Latex tubes
3. Fast tires
4. Clean setup - use bottles you need, put them in smart locations, carry a small flat kit, tucked away as neatly as possible, etc. (this could be higher as its freeish)
5. Aero helmet
5. Cockpit
6. Wheels
Quote Reply
Re: what will be the most beneficial upgrades to my bike? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've read the white paper. It's better than having a side pull brake cable out in the wind

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$180 for 5 seconds in a 40k tt is a lot of dough for not much time. Not to mention, if I remember right felt fork crown is pretty wide to blend better with side pull brakes and offer space to a spinning wheel.

Switching 1 tube from butyl to latex offers more benefit for about $12.
Quote Reply