Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ?
Quote | Reply
how well does it stick to sweaty skin ?
i am considering trying it on my knee
for added support til it heals.
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the bright blue/pink/whatever coloured stuff?

Rock tape, physiotape, there's a bunch of names.

You'll need some clean skin to apply it to, but once it's on, it's on for about a week if you don't play with it. Doesn't come off in the pool/shower/bath, and sweat doesn't make it drop off.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you.

best to shave the area where the tape will be used ?
Last edited by: Swanbird: Sep 1, 15 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been successful at having it last through a swim, no matter how clean my leg was when applied, until my PT sprayed spray adhesive on my leg, let that dry a minute, then put the tape on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KT Tape http://www.kttape.com/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how hard you feel!

It's never come off when I've been pool or OW swimming, but not saying it doesn't though.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be advised that there isn't actually any real evidence that it works (hunkers down and waits for the inevitable deluge of anecdote...).
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The generic name is keinsiology tape. Most of the major brands are pretty similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Placebo Tape™
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
Be advised that there isn't actually any real evidence that it works (hunkers down and waits for the inevitable deluge of anecdote...).

i've been buying the dimpled physio tape that's made just for triathletes. it's obviously very expensive, but it's really aero.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Muscle Aid Tape http://www.muscleaidtape.com/ They have videos with instructions, etc.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use kineseotape when I was racing for calf-related issues, worked for me as far as providing some extra support and no problems with it coming off during the swim or from sweat. Make sure the area is shaved since it will take hair off when removed.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
voodoo floss is recommended by kelly Starrett

I havent used any of it myself though

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinesio Scam
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anecdotal evidence.

I tried it for my front of knee pain which may be referred to as "runner's knee" (though I don't run), hurts particularly on downhills.
A psycopathic physio I use, following extensive digging, said it didn't seem to be muscle, ligament or cartilage related, though it might be a problem with the thin sheath that surrounds the knee.

It didn't help. The muscles may have felt a little less sore but then again they do from time to time.

The pro version was certainly durable, it stayed on for a week. I put it on after the Friday night shave.
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had knee surgery 6 weeks ago and my PT uses Rocktape and it has helped quite a bit with support and swelling. You can purchase it online but make sure you get the H2O, it will stay on for about a week even through swimming and showering.
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
voodoo floss is recommended by kelly Starrett

I havent used any of it myself though

Voodoo floss is not the same thing. Not even close.
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, it's not the same as the tape, but doesn't it server the same purpose? Injury support

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cafe Lactate wrote:
Placebo Tape™

I was gonna say "Witch Doctor Tape" but this ^ is much better.

I have tried it for a number of injuries....never made a difference. The only time it helped was with Morton's Neuroma...and not because of any magical benefits of the tape, it simply acted as a mechanical way to stop my toes from collapsing together and pinching the nerve. Could have used regular athletic tape or even masking tape and achieved the same thing.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
yeah, it's not the same as the tape, but doesn't it server the same purpose? Injury support

It's not to provide support for an injury, it's for mobility work to help relieve hotspots as I think Kelly Starrett calls them. You wrap it around (really tight) and move the joint or limb through the full range of motion and then take it off. It's not something you put on and leave it on for support like kinesio tape.
Quote Reply
Re: what is the name of the stretchy sports tape i see used by athletes ? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Cafe Lactate wrote:
Placebo Tape™

I was gonna say "Witch Doctor Tape" but this ^ is much better.

I have tried it for a number of injuries....never made a difference. The only time it helped was with Morton's Neuroma...and not because of any magical benefits of the tape, it simply acted as a mechanical way to stop my toes from collapsing together and pinching the nerve. Could have used regular athletic tape or even masking tape and achieved the same thing.

I just use masking tape and a blue Sharpie. Works just as good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Kinesio tape, applied by my physio. I've always put it on clean dry skin, and have been told it's good to wait an hour before working out to give it a chance to set properly to full stickiness. Once that happens, I've kept it on for 2-3 days including racing, swimming, wetsuit, etc without having it come off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:

I used it. It didn't do a thing for me. And it hurt peeling it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used K Tape and Rock Tape, the latter stayed on better during swims. Best to shave area, clean with alcohol and apply correctly. Has worked well when my knee acts up, might be psychological but whatev. Won't race with it though, show no weakness!

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite is the Rock Tape, seems to hold up better in the pool. Use alcohol to remove skin oil and promote adhesion.

The tape works by providing an obviously thin connective link between areas of body - you know, usually around joints.

It doesn't take much to throw a joint out of whack, particularly with RSI problems. It's like when movement goes 5% over the allowable threshold for a particular pattern.

So the tape allows a more balanced movement pattern, bringing the joint closer to proper alignment and function, reducing the effects of RSI. That is why you see cyclists, swimmers, lifters - any sport with lots of rep movements using the stuff.

Consider it an evolution of rigid taping for bigger injuries vs rock tape - mild injury /joint inflammation.

Does it work?? It's a great invention, and yes it does work, where just a little support is required. You gotta know what you are doing, mechanically too. Being an engineer I can add tension where I need too, for example to stabilize my loose ankle and thus protect my Achilles.

Water-skiers use duct tape for ankles, elbows, etc. because it works in water and can slip out of rubber bindings. Duct tape holds a lot of force, then shreds with movement. Two or three layers of Rock tape holds much less force, but moves naturally with the body.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next