Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
view on desoto wetsuits
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen any views on the de soto t1 line in the past few years when I search. I am in the market for a suit, and have the chance to get one (older without a zipper on the top), does anyone have views on the 2-piece suit like this vs just grabbing a 1-piece from another company? Not looking for anything high end, but would like to hear experiences if anyone has them with the suit and how important they think a zippered top is vs a straight pullover?
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After starting out with an Orca 1 piece and then trying my 2 piece Desoto, I will never go back. The 2 piece design is SOOOOO comfortable and easy as anything else to get on and off. In my opinion, easier.
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
After starting out with an Orca 1 piece and then trying my 2 piece Desoto, I will never go back. The 2 piece design is SOOOOO comfortable and easy as anything else to get on and off. In my opinion, easier.
x2

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does your top have a zipper and if so or not do you believe that to be an important issue in the ease of removal that you enjoy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
does your top have a zipper and if so or not do you believe that to be an important issue in the ease of removal that you enjoy?

Mine does. I haven't tried one without the zipper to be honest. I would contact Emilio on this forum and I would bet you he could accommodate you with both to try if you wanted.
I haven't had an issue with removal or putting it on. If you are curious about how quickly it can be done watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZTDssI-y_Y

Emilio...I would be happy to redo that video in 4K if you want to fly me down for a weekend. ;)
Mark

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
I haven't seen any views on the de soto t1 line in the past few years when I search. I am in the market for a suit, and have the chance to get one (older without a zipper on the top), does anyone have views on the 2-piece suit like this vs just grabbing a 1-piece from another company? Not looking for anything high end, but would like to hear experiences if anyone has them with the suit and how important they think a zippered top is vs a straight pullover?

One reason is that maybe many people have made their mind up about this design *one* way or another. I really like the T1 line for the following reasons: it works, I can mix tops and bottoms, it's durable. With very stretchy (but fragile) rubber the competition caught up many years ago (IMHO) with regards to speed and flexibility. However no wetsuit will do the swim for you, despite the many claims of seconds and minutes improved. I can see that certain wetsuits will fit certain swimmers better than others and that will give you *marginal* gains (assuming proper fits to begin with). However in open water swimming drafting and sighting are really crucial, their combined effort is far greater than any new wetsuit purchase. So it all comes back to basics, swim well over the distance, learn to sight, learn to use other swimmers feet. Lots of practice in open water will help enormously and for that a durable wetsuit is a consideration. The zippered version has a slightly better form on the body. My concern with the old version without a zipper would be the quality of the rubber. It'll be more than 10 years old and wetsuit rubber degrades over time so it won't be as flexible as a new purchase.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both, currently in a 1 piece from HUUB

Desoto has not made the one without a zipper for quite a long time so I would think that one would not have as good of rubber as a more recent one. I have an older silver T1 without a zipper and compared it to a newer one from 2013, the newer one is much more flexible.

As far as how they come off zipper vs. no zipper, I have no problems getting either one off.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my T1 and I have zero issues talking it on and off. In fact I open water swim solo all the time so zipping it up solo is a priority. Like the other poster you have an older model and you'll love the flexibility of the newer suits.
Also, I believe DeSoto has a program where you can turn in you old WS for credit for a new one.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a T1 that I purchased in 2007 (got it the week before Timberman that year). I love it. I got the First Wave top and the Black Pearl bottom for the more flexible rubber to be on top. One strap of the bib has a tear in it, and de Soto has told me to send it back and they'll repair it. Not bad for an eight year old product.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
M~ wrote:

x2

X3

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the first wave top and bottom, and love it (and not because football quarterbacks have bought them btw). Slightly different (for me) in taking it off than a one-piece, but I'm used to it now. Got some heavy creases (my fault) from folding it so I may turn in just the top for the new model top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first wetsuit was one of the original DeSoto's w/o a zipper. I kept getting stuck trying to get it off. Had DeSoto install a zipper (I believe $25 at the time) - so much better. I have a new top now but still love the two piece design...

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj - which do you like more the huub (which one) or the T1? huub is sponsoring the tri team i am on, but if i have to spend 400-600 dollars on a wetsuit, i would like to be sure it's the one that's my go to wetsuit for the upcoming season and beyond.
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gleeclub wrote:
jaretj - which do you like more the huub (which one) or the T1? huub is sponsoring the tri team i am on, but if i have to spend 400-600 dollars on a wetsuit, i would like to be sure it's the one that's my go to wetsuit for the upcoming season and beyond.

Yes, pricey. I currently have a Blue Seventy and I have some issues with the shoulders area being a little too tight and it restricts movement. I also can't zip it up by myself. I have a bigger upper body...back/shoulders/chest from weight training and just my build, but the bottom fits perfect. Was thinking a Desoto would help with the restriction in the shoulders, but the price may be a little too steep for me.
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tested three different wetsuits (Roka, TYR & DeSoto) last year and the T1 was by far my favorite as far as comfort an functionality. Emilio even personally helped me choose the correct size and you will find that the investment is well worth the money. The option of having a sleeved and/or sleeveless is pretty cool as well. I highly recommend the T1!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a two piece, I was in a one piece for years. I will never go back.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to a 2 piece DeSoto after years of struggling with one-pieces. It's INCREDIBLE. And there is something else you should know about DeSoto - Emilio makes stuff that not only actually simply works, it's always made of the best stuff and design available. If you cruise around their website, you'll notice this detail over and over again. They will explain why some things are just gimmicks and they won't use them. Why some things prioritize comfort because at a certain distance, comfort = speed. Emilio was a pro and knows what matters and doesn't make junk. Literally everything DeSoto makes will leave you saying Wow.

The upside of a DeSoto wetsuit is that you can get different tops. I own both a long sleeve top and a vest. That gives me two wetsuits for the price of 1.5. Super smart.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems the consensus is super positive for the suit, which isn't a huge surprise. In my instance, I'd be buying used and likely old as someone noted. Maybe someone can chime in on how long its been since the non-zip tops have been manufactured. I am trying to get an idea for just how old/dated this thing might be and if its a big deal or not, whats a reasonable lifespan for something that hangs in a closet for years,etc. Again, I'd love to buy a new one, hope to someday, but at this point this is my situation. Thx all for the comments so far, super helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
ilikepizza wrote:

Mine does. I haven't tried one without the zipper to be honest. I would contact Emilio on this forum and I would bet you he could accommodate you with both to try if you wanted.
I haven't had an issue with removal or putting it on. If you are curious about how quickly it can be done watch this:

Emilio...I would be happy to redo that video in 4K if you want to fly me down for a weekend. ;)
Mark

Emilio, I would be happy to do that video in 4K and in Hawaii if you want to fly me and my wife there for a weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
M~ wrote:
ilikepizza wrote:

Mark

Emilio, I would be happy to do that video in 4K and in Hawaii if you want to fly me and my wife there for a weekend.

See, now you are just being unrealistic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After years of struggle in B70 and Xterra a friend let me use his Desoto T1 for 2014 IMCDA. All I had in it was 3 swims before the race. Will never go back to 1 piece. Now, I have my own, latest top and bottom and will finally enjoy the freedom of shoulder movement.
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really comes down to personal preference. I like the HUUB better, the rubber was much thinner on the arms and it comes off better. To be fair it's been a few years since I've tried the T1 so it might have changed a bit.

It was a bit more than $600 for me :O
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [tdstegner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdstegner wrote:
My first wetsuit was one of the original DeSoto's w/o a zipper. I kept getting stuck trying to get it off. Had DeSoto install a zipper (I believe $25 at the time) - so much better. I have a new top now but still love the two piece design...

I have an old T1 w/o the zipper (the silver one). The rubber won't be as flexible as current suits (including the T1).

A mentioned, the top can get stuck when taking it off (I'd recommend getting a zipper put in). The trick was to pull open the neck and let some water in right before standing up so the top can slide.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, who designed that de soto 2pc suit anyway? and for that matter, who designed the original 1pc suits for tri?

damn, those two guys must be smarty pantses ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: view on desoto wetsuits [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
hey, who designed that de soto 2pc suit anyway? and for that matter, who designed the original 1pc suits for tri?

damn, those two guys must be smarty pantses ;-)

The answer is two guys who have never been in my kitchen.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next