It's a shitload less expensive than chamois creams
It has a healing/ointment element to it

Cons:
???

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I started running and first experienced the effect of chaffing, I started with vaseline. It works great however, I realized all my shirts had two oily dots around the effected area that won't wash away with any detergent. Now these shirts are in the trash. Never tried it on chamios and didn't want to risk it on expensive cycling shorts.

Now I've been using butt'r and body glide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know the pros or cons from a use perspective, but as a petroleum jelly it wil not come out of clothing in the normal wash. So, if you're use it, you might have problems with build up on the chamois.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get best results with bodyglide applied directly to my clothing and a "general" chamois cream over skin hotspots.
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Dealz wrote:
When I started running and first experienced the effect of chaffing, I started with vaseline. It works great however, I realized all my shirts had two oily dots around the effected area that won't wash away with any detergent. Now these shirts are in the trash. Never tried it on chamios and didn't want to risk it on expensive cycling shorts.

Now I've been using butt'r and body glide.

This also happens with udder butter. They work well, but man those spots are bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for something less expensive that "real" chamois cream, I use both A&D Ointment (the original yellow, not the white stuff w/ Zinc) and Noxzema. (I actually use the Walmart knockoffs of each.) The A&D I use for races and longer rides since it's a little thicker and stays on better. I use the Noxzema for shorter rides since it's less "goopy" and washes out easily. It's tingly, too! The white A&D w/ Zinc is too thick and clumpy, IMO.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the A&D. Also if I get a "spot" I use Dr. Smiths diaper rash ointment and takes care of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using bag balm for over 10 years for any ride over 3 hours. A 10$ box lasts 2 years.

http://www.bagbalm.com/download/bikemag.pdf

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use vaseline for longer Tris as it's much more resilient to the water and likely to still be there after the swim. Besides, you can use it on your underarms neck etc to avoid other chafing areas; one product does it all. I've not experienced any degradation of 'chamois' or my wetsuit as a result.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Instead of vaseline, why not try lantiseptic? It was made originally for bed sores.

A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so I am more than happy to spend for chamois cream.
Right now, Sportique Century Riding Cream is my top pick. I just wait for a sale then stock up.
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 I'm a big fan of the Bag Balm
Last edited by: mudjumper: Jun 29, 11 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [trimama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimama wrote:
I second the A&D. Also if I get a "spot" I use Dr. Smiths diaper rash ointment and takes care of it.

A&D got all my kids thru diaper rash - great call!

Question, however: Does it not build up/stain the same way that other non soluble stuff (aquaphor, vaseline) do?
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN 19030 wrote:
I use Aquaphor.

Pros:
It's a shitload less expensive than chamois creams
It has a healing/ointment element to it

Cons:
???

+1 Aquaphor for reasons above.

My only issue is, it seems not water soluble, and so I worry about build up (and it is annoying to get off your hands, which you gotta do before you wreck other clothing)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used chamois butter for any long runs or rides leading up to my first half marathon... morning of the race couldn't find the chamois butter so i had to use vaseline for the first time to prevent chafing. They did the trick but the tri shorts I wore during the race are too stained to use now other then a pair of compression shorts under running shorts.

And the stain doesn't come out with any kind of detergent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those that are really frugal there is always Crisco. I don't think you can get cheaper than that. It tends to break down pretty quickly, but they all breakdown fast relative to a 3 hour bike ride.

I have used it to prep my bike and run shoes for easier entry. I have a little plastic container that I spoon the Crisco into beforehand. It works pretty well. I can use it liberally without feeling like I'm wasting the stuff.
Last edited by: SH: Jun 29, 11 8:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do you buy Bag Balm in Canada?
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [marky_sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TSC stores sell it - http://www.tscstores.com/stage/index.php

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it really depends what you're into....

:)
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [marky_sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many hardware stores have them and most (if not all) of the gardening stores have it (gardeners get cuts from flowers and use it as protection/healing aid). the odd local bike shop also have it. Very easy to find in Quebec, have no idea about other provinces.

bagbalm.ca sells it online.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fbrissette wrote:
I have been using bag balm for over 10 years for any ride over 3 hours. A 10$ box lasts 2 years.

http://www.bagbalm.com/download/bikemag.pdf

Francois in Montreal

First I have to hear about my mother in law rubbing horse cream for muscle injuries and now this. I think I need to go for a very long swim now!

This is the description of the product:

Quote:
Designed for dry, chapped cow udders, Bag Balm works great for any animal's skin Treat your pet's chapped or brush-burned area with Bag Balm for soothing, moisturizing relief. In case of deep puncture wounds seek medical help. Discontinue use if rash or irritation occurs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used vaseline when I started riding, and it worked well to reduce chafing, but it has two major disadvantages: It somehow got into the saddle and caused the leather/microtex on my Arione saddle to come loose. I suspect the oil it contains dissolves the glue they use. Secondly, as another poster says, it is impossible to get out of the chamoix of your shorts (using normal detergent). I use DZ Nuts, and it is by far the best I have tried (all the common ones). It may be expensive, but you aren't using very much, so a bottle lasts a while.
Quote Reply
Re: vaseline vs chamois creams [johno2211] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chamois butter stays on during the swim, is easy to get off your hands and smooths things just fine. Anybody use the Mission stuff?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Sportique Century Cream.

Pros: 1. Stays on when wet,
2. works well on the bike; and
3. All natural ingredients.

Cons: 1. Expensive (~20 / tube)
2. Some aren't fond of the scent ( I don't mind it at all)
Quote Reply

Prev Next