Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubular tire help
Quote | Reply
I am new to tubulars and need to purchase a new one because I got a flat. I ride on an older pair of zipp wheels with a 19mm rim width. I read that I need to run a 19mm tire, but can get a 22mm for cheaper. Will the 22mm fit on my rim or will that be unsafe to ride?
Quote Reply
Re: tubular tire help [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about how old yours are, I ride a pre FC from 2009 with 22 front and 25 rear. Works great.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22 will be fine. There's absolutely no need to match the tub width to the rim width. You could probably run wider than 22mm also, but 22 should be good for aero on that wheel and better for rolling resistance.

It's worth running sealant in tubulars too, since they get kind of expensive to replace. I use flat attack so that it doesn't dry out and ball up inside the tyre. Check out the sealant article on ST (http://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_-_Part_2_4155.html) and make sure your tubs have latex tubes...

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: tubular tire help [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both, that is very helpful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 23 on a 19mm rim, works gr eat, yours will also work.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: tubular tire help [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck! I run my CX tubulars (34c) on 19mm rims. Run what makes you happy.

I'd recommend 23c or 24c tires for comfort and speed

M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are some nice comfy 23 and 25 size tires out there, no sense using something skinny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
compatability wise, your wheels will be fine with most road tire sizes.

Aerodynamics wise, sticking with something under 23mm is probably advisable but there aren't really any decent 19mm tubular tires out there.
Quote Reply