Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help!
Quote | Reply
Trying to solve some low back pain when riding.. Use to have the saddle high and forward caused me to posterity tilt and flex at the low back excessively I have developed my lower spinal erectors from that bad position.. Now I have kinda figured out I needed more setback and lower saddle to rotate the pelvis more forward to line out the low back.. Breathing is so much better in this position too. My low back is still trying to flex but I do have the ability to rotate my pelvis forward much easier since Ive used a selle smp. I use to be umcomfy on every saddle. So thats what probably made me posterior tilt so I can sit on the sit bones better. Selle smp has been the best saddle by far. 

Here is a video of me rotating the pelvis, I feel when I do rotate I feel a bit restricted in the hips at the top of the pedal stroke I can only keep it there for a while but not when im putting power out, I feel I have to flex at the spine 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BiCpRbDauM 
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Trying to solve some low back pain when riding.. Use to have the saddle high and forward caused me to posterity tilt and flex at the low back excessively I have developed my lower spinal erectors from that bad position.. Now I have kinda figured out I needed more setback and lower saddle to rotate the pelvis more forward to line out the low back.. Breathing is so much better in this position too. My low back is still trying to flex but I do have the ability to rotate my pelvis forward much easier since Ive used a selle smp. I use to be umcomfy on every saddle. So thats what probably made me posterior tilt so I can sit on the sit bones better. Selle smp has been the best saddle by far. 

Here is a video of me rotating the pelvis, I feel when I do rotate I feel a bit restricted in the hips at the top of the pedal stroke I can only keep it there for a while but not when im putting power out, I feel I have to flex at the spine 

Have a qualified fitter properly fit you. Period. And don't fall into the trap many here believe in that if your stem isn't slammed it's wrong. When slammed is wrong fit wise, but you want it to look right, you'll just end up with a 5-6 hr. run/walk shuffle afterward. However that will give you plenty of time to ponder over how great the bike looked.
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
SamYO wrote:

Have a qualified fitter properly fit you. Period. And don't fall into the trap many here believe in that if your stem isn't slammed it's wrong. When slammed is wrong fit wise, but you want it to look right, you'll just end up with a 5-6 hr. run/walk shuffle afterward. However that will give you plenty of time to ponder over how great the bike looked.

I dont intend to run after, I'm a roadie/TTer lol
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proper fit and Yoga, lots of Yoga.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My physio lady gave me a 6-7 minute routine to specifically warm the back up pre ride. If I do it, no issues. If I don't life sucks for a while. Back injury years ago is the cause but is very manageable with proper maintenance. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [noreastersurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noreastersurf wrote:
Proper fit and Yoga, lots of Yoga.

Im hypermobile in my back and over flexible in nearly all muscles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im looking for someone that has a good eye on forward pelvic rotation. No one around my area is experienced in the mechanics of cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest lifting exercises that strengthen the lower back. My first suggestion would be deadliest, start light.

Overall, get your core strong and don't ride with your arms locked like that.

Your fit doesn't look outrageous and might be spot on.
Last edited by: robabeatle: Oct 26, 14 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the first thing I would say is that you should take a look/ video from behind and above with your posterior superior iliac crests marked. The marks will show the direction of rotation of your pelvis during pedalling. Low back pain can be from a number of issues, but one has to remember that the hip flexor muscles attach at the top of the pelvis and if tight may be part of the issue. This will lead to pulling the pelvis forward on the tight side. As well the location of pain is not always the source of the pain. I suggest getting a proper fitting from a good fitter who knows about muscular imbalances and how you balance on the bike. I am not a fan of video fitting, I will only work with a person in front of me to see how they actually function, ask all of the questions about injuries, pain, etc. One point above is that if your arms are not flexed then you are reaching too much which will either put too much weight on your hands or require more to hold your body up, in either case it will lead to problems. in additions straight arms reduce their ability to absorb shocks and vibration from the road, though this is normally manifested in shoulder pain. Flexibility is not the whole thing, you can have flexibility without the strength to support yourself. Core muscles go from your knees to your shoulders and are key to properly suspending yourself on the bike.

So this is a long way to say to talk to people in your riding community and ask for their suggestion of the best fitter in your area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see you tilting your pelvis but rather flexing your spine because you can barely reach the hoods as evidenced by your straight arms. Because of this you can't support your body weight and that puts a lot of strain on your lower back muscles. Been there, done that... A shorter stem might help but like many here said, probably a good idea to get a real bike fit.

SamYO wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
I'd suggest lifting exercises that strengthen the lower back. My first suggestion would be deadliest, start light.

Overall, get your core strong and don't ride with your arms locked like that.

Your fit doesn't look outrageous and might be spot on.

I never ride with my arms extended like that, but I think the reason for my arms locking out like that is im trying to extend spine I'm going to lower all the spacers on front end tomorrow and see if my glutes work better as i'm lent over more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I dropped all the spacers and my glutes were working just my left glute wasn't working well as my right.. pain decreased but still persists I will try get a video up of the position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a moderate issues with my back.

Back issues are always VERY individual - what would help one person, can nearly kill someone else. My situation is illustrative of that. I have a herniated disc and a bulging disc in the Lumbar area. The radiologist told me after the discovery of this via MRI a few years ago that he sees people with my exact pathology that have NO pain, and others who can barely walk or stand as they are in moderate to severe pain all the time. At the time I was made to feel grateful for what I can do!

However in general:

I agree with others - core strength is critical. As is specific flexibility.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious problems i see:

-stem too long
-stem too low
-too skinny

all easily fixable :) Raise the stem 1-1.5cm and bring the stem aft 2cm, then you might try raising the saddle a few mm as well and or bringing it foreward a few mm as well. Then go to the gym and add 10lbs of muscle over the next year with some flexability work. I am a roadie as well and would always prefer to be in a less aero but more comfortable position. Start really cautious and move on from there. You can also take this as a time to become a student of bike fitting and read everything you can find. Lots of free programs to measure angles on a computer and many good examples to compare to.

Edit: Many fitters are terrible and even with countless certifications and years in the field they still make poor decisions. When i first started i went to a fitter in dallas that had every cert possible and lots of happy customers, one year later i had several knee issues that were resolved by myself after noticing several terrible choices that fitter made. These were basic mistakes that could have been prevented if he paid more attention to detail. That is why i either say go to the absolute best there is or learn as much as you can and fit yourself. Everybody is different but most people have many commonalities, i would suggest also looking at competitive cyclists fit guide where you input all your measurments and it will provide different fit coordinates based on your desired riding style. This has been pretty dead on for me even after professional fittings.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Oct 27, 14 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually don't look at these, but I bit.
There's a lot in there that is wrong to where even a moderately trained fitter can fix. Your low back pain is from you pushing into the saddle with your upper body while using your hips to push into the pedals. I recommend a coach/fitter who can work with you on pedal dynamics and proper pedal for while fitting you for that proper pedal form.
You're an easy fix. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [seebritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had similar lower back problems. strengthen your core. I used to do exercises for this but found that if you use better swimming and kicking technique, you will strengthen your core as a result.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spend atleast 3 hours a day with myofasical release removing dysfunctions followed by corrective exercise.. It is more to the bike fit getting the pelvic rotation right
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SamYO [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So while I am not a 'fitter', I recently succesfully dealt with my wife's lower back pain and what I see is a saddle that is mounted full aft on a zero-setback seat post, yet you are sitting as far back as that saddle allows yet your knee still seems to be moving well ahead of the pedal spindle. I am thinking a 2 cm shorter stem as lwell as a 2.5cm setback seat post, and maybe even a different design saddle that allows you to adjust sit position fore/aft.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
So while I am not a 'fitter', I recently succesfully dealt with my wife's lower back pain and what I see is a saddle that is mounted full aft on a zero-setback seat post, yet you are sitting as far back as that saddle allows yet your knee still seems to be moving well ahead of the pedal spindle. I am thinking a 2 cm shorter stem as lwell as a 2.5cm setback seat post, and maybe even a different design saddle that allows you to adjust sit position fore/aft.

The selle smp only has 1 saddle position its been the best saddle ever, i've tried well over 50 saddles with different positions they are better for pelvis rotation too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anyway I can contact 'Big' on this forum?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:

Big has been trying to spend more time training and less time posting:)....I couldn't view any of the videos that you posted, so I am unable to offer any advise at this point...
Quote Reply
Re: trying to solve low back pain on rides (big) need your help! [Big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big wrote:
SamYO wrote:

Big has been trying to spend more time training and less time posting:)....I couldn't view any of the videos that you posted, so I am unable to offer any advise at this point...

I will post tomorrow thanks for getting back
Quote Reply

Prev Next