Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trek silque s - dropping weight
Quote | Reply
So - I just got myself a new trek silque s, and I am second guessing my choice. It is pretty heavy - 16.8 pounds, and the shifting is not awesome. It is possible that the shifting needs some adjustment, I'm not sure.

I suppose there is not a cheap and easy way to drop, say, 3 pounds?
Quote Reply
Re: trek silque s - dropping weight [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the drive train is not horrible, its 105 right? I would take it back to where you got it and let them know what's going on. If its brand new, shifting should be easy.
Quote Reply
Re: trek silque s - dropping weight [tinytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is 105... It keeps getting stuck in the small chain ring, and also the chain is rubbing a bit on the front derailleur - (so, yes, I think it needs some adjustment there - I might try to figure it out later - I'm not sure it is a hard fix or an easy fix)).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your FD needs to be tuned up, shouldn't be a huge problem.

Dropping weight is as easy as spending money. Replace the 105 with something lighter, same with the bars, stem, saddle, wheels, tires, tubes, pedals, bottle cages, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
16.8 pounds is pretty damn light for an off the shelf $2000 road bike.

Some front dérailleur rubbing in extreme cross chaining is acceptable but not shifting is not. It sounds like it just needs a small adjustment. There is no reason shimano 105 shouldn't shift very well.

In terms of weight, it won't help your bike be faster but I recommend starting with the small things. Stock bikes usually come with pretty heavy tubes and tires. Stock skewers are also sometimes very heavy, and you can pick up some 60 gram skewers for pretty cheap. The bonus is that some new tires would probably be faster rolling, as would latex tubes. So you can probably drop down to 16 lbs even, and get a faster bike.

The quickest way to a lighter bike is always some carbon tubulars.
Quote Reply
Re: trek silque s - dropping weight [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am just feeling weak today. I suppose I would just think that a women's specific bike would naturally be engineered to be lighter since it needs to support a much lighter rider... but, I guess since basically all the components on a women's bike are the same as on a men's bike - there is no real weight savings there.

I really was hoping someone would just say that the stock seat post weighs 6 pounds - easy fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, 105 should shift quite smoothly, so likely the front derailleur or cable needs some minor adjustment (most bike stores will do this for free for 30-90 days from purchase as the bike "breaks in").

Don't be too concerned about the weight issue. Riders in the Tour de France do it on 15.8lb. bikes (UCI min. weight). If you do want to drop weight, most bikes come with heavy wheels (since many racers will swap in a pair of race wheels like FLOs, HEDs, or Zipps anyway). Remember that aero>weight, so the lightest components are not always the fastest.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
Maybe I am just feeling weak today. I suppose I would just think that a women's specific bike would naturally be engineered to be lighter since it needs to support a much lighter rider...

it is, actually...the frame anyway...same size and comparable series Domane (4.3 perhaps) would be a little heavier, though I don't know by how much exactly (wasn't on that project).

Running mom wrote:
I really was hoping someone would just say that the stock seat post weighs 6 pounds - easy fix.

looking at the stock spec on that bike, I'd agree with other posters that tires tubes and wheels are the low hanging fruit for weight and ride quality. those plus the Ultegra group are the primary upgrades in the Silque SL in fact. next big jump is the SLX with the 600series carbon frame and integrated seatmast, full carbon fork, and a carbon bar. no single big thing, rather a collection of smaller ones.

in order of cost, if you want to go the incremental route, you might consider tubes-tires-handlebar-wheels. you could throw a lighter carbon seatpost in there on either side of the handlebar (depending on the model) as well, but you're more likely to notice the difference - in comfort rather than weight - going to the RXL Isozone bar or any of the XXX bars than the XXX seatpost.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply