Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training mask
Quote | Reply
Just saw this on ST main page, and yes, it looks goofy. But has anyone ever used this device with success? Went to their site, but that's obviously biased. Seems much cheaper than an altitude tent, but wasn't sure how effective is really is. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: training mask [chrishutch84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since it doesn't actually change the density of the oxygen in the air it does not simulate altitude training at all. however it's like breathing through a straw so your going to strengthen your core muscles associated with breathing and "might" see some benefit from that, but probably not enough to offset the training loss from using this to begin with. just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It makes it harder to breathe but that's about it. It doesn't provide the same benefits of actual altitude training. Also unless you are wearing it for a significant part of the day it has even less effect.

Save your money, buy a straw and breathe through that.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Additionally, the most effective use of a hypoxic environment is to live/sleep at high altitude and train where oxygen is plentiful to allow for maximum performance. Wearing this mask only when training would probably only limit performance and fitness improvements.
Quote Reply
Re: training mask [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware that the strength in my diaphram was a limiting factor in my ability to deliver oxygen to my muscles. Its' fitness, like the heart muscle tends to scale very well with over all fitness.

It seems to me that it would almost be like trying to restrict blood flow through your aorta to somehow strengthen your heart muscles.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: training mask [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
since it doesn't actually change the density of the oxygen in the air it does not simulate altitude training at all.

^^^THIS^^^

For some interesting reading:
http://runnersconnect.net/...you-a-better-runner/

And most importantly, an actual study done on "Specific inspiratory muscle training in well-trained endurance athletes":
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10912887

In short, yes it will strengthen the muscles supporting your breathing apparatus (diaphragm etc.). Unfortunately, that won't help you with oxygen intake (which would be important for endurance athletes).
It WILL make you better at breathing against resistance (i.e. against a training mask, through a respirator/gas mask/regulator).

And just since most of the triathletes on here actually make it to the pool:
If you swim with a snorkel, breathing while submerged (as opposed to partially rotating out of the water to breath) will train the same muscles!
Last edited by: bas2205: Nov 26, 14 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: training mask [bas2205] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The percentage of oxygen in air is constant at different altitudes its the lower atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes that decreases the partial pressure for gas exchange in the lungs...

bas2205 wrote:
Clempson wrote:
since it doesn't actually change the density of the oxygen in the air it does not simulate altitude training at all.

^^^THIS^^^

And most importantly, an actual study done on "Specific inspiratory muscle training in well-trained endurance athletes":

In short, yes it will strengthen the muscles supporting your breathing apparatus (diaphragm etc.). Unfortunately, that won't help you with oxygen intake (which would be important for endurance athletes).
It WILL make you better at breathing against resistance (i.e. against a training mask, through a respirator/gas mask/regulator).

If you swim with a snorkel, breathing while submerged (as opposed to partially rotating out of the water to breath) will train the same muscles!
Quote Reply
Re: training mask [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
It makes it harder to breathe but that's about it. It doesn't provide the same benefits of actual altitude training. Also unless you are wearing it for a significant part of the day it has even less effect.

Save your money, buy a straw and breathe through that.

I could come over and hold my hand over your mouth too.

At some point I have liked a local coach's facebook page. This coach also runs a crossfit box. He recently posted a picture of people doing deadlifts in his gym wearing the crossfit training mask.

If anyone hires him to coach them for triathlon they get what they deserve.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask yourself this...

Has it been endorsed by Pete Jacobs at some point? Yes? It's bogus.

See also the product that shall not be mentioned.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: training mask [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
The percentage of oxygen in air is constant at different altitudes its the lower atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes that decreases the partial pressure for gas exchange in the lungs...

bas2205 wrote:
Clempson wrote:

^^^THIS^^^

correct, using the ideal gas law density and pressure change equally in magnitude if all else is constant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training masks and compex e-stim on the front page, a great day for quackery.
To compex's credit, at least their mention is in regards to raising funds for WBP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The inspiratory muscle training studies that I have seen that were effective used one of the moutpiece doodads that has you breathe hard against resistance for 30 seconds at a time. Have never seen a study with positive effects sing anything like the mask pictured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the early to mid 80s there was an even more ridiculous looking device called the PO2 Aerobic Exerciser. It sort of looked like a plastic set of scuba tanks with hoses hooked to the mask and a headstrap to hold it on. I seem to recall it had charcoal filters of some sort to reduce the O2 level. If you google it and click on images you can see it or try this one: http://tinyurl.com/la4z485 By comparison, this training mask is downright snazzy!

If I remember correctly, Alberto Salazar was paid to promote it. So aspiring runners like myself, aka suckers, had to have it. We looked like young people with advanced asthma trying to join the running boom. Some studies were done later (see below), but it really didn't work and didn't last. The lesson I learned way back then is there are no shortcuts to hard work. You have to put in the miles and the speedwork to succeed.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1986 Apr;18(2):211-5.
Influence of supplemental oxygen on the physiological response to the PO2 aerobic exerciser.
Abstract:
Acute physiological responses to the "PO2-Aerobic Exerciser" (AE), a partial rebreathing device designed to stimulate training at altitudes, were studied in seven healthy men [mean VO2max = 56.1 +@- 10.1 (SD) ml X kg-1 X min-1] who performed cycle ergometer exercise to exhaustion in three experimental situations: a control test (C) breathing normal atmosphere: a test with the device (AE); and a test with the AE air supplemented with oxygen (AEO2'). Arterial oxygen saturation at rest for C, AE, and AEO2' studies was 97 +/- 1, 95 +/- 2, and 97 +/- 1%, respectively (P less than 0.05 for C vs AE and AE vs AEO2'), while at exhaustion it was 95 +/- 1, 87 +/- 2, and 95 +/- 1%, respectively (P less than 0.05 for C vs AE and AE vs AEO2'). Maximum work rate decreased from a control value of 1738 +/- 184 kg X min-1 to 1371 +/- 147 kg X min-1 during AE and remained below control levels during AEO2'; 1554 +/- 110 kg X min-1 (P less than 0.05). Beyond 60% of maximum work rate during AE, inspired CO2 increased to 0.026 +/- 0.005. Mouth pressure swings of up to -19.2 +/- 10.2 and 12.7 +/- 5.7 cm H2O were recorded during AE. While the PO2 aerobic exerciser induced a hypoxic stress, the pertubation imposed was not explained fully by arterial oxygen desaturation. Other factors such as hypercapnia and a flow resistive increase in the work of breathing appear to have influenced work capacity during the use of the device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I passed a 50yo lady riding with one on the bike path the other day and I thought she was dressed as sub zero or scorpion from mortal combat... Now I know what she was doing.
A free or cheaper alternative is using a snorkel and a nose clip... Same principle and result... Probably looks just as cool too!
Quote Reply