Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trainers and tires
Quote | Reply
Ok.. so what's the trick with tires and trainers?

I have been using a certain tire for a few months now. Just recently, it started to bead and wear slightly. Cleaning rubber beads off my bike and carpet is a pain in the ass...

Is it because the tire is getting old?

Is it because I finally inflated them to proper pressure? (110psi)

Is it from over/under tightening the tension?

What tire pressure works best on a trainer? Before they started beading I think they were 60-70psi... hmmm...

Should I use cheap $12 tires, or will they start beading immediately?
Quote Reply
Re: trainers and tires [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg, I find that Continental tyres don't last very long on my windtrainer (Cycle-Ops Fluid). I have had much better wear from Michelin Axial Pro's. I also find that I get better wear when I run the tyres at 110psi and have the tyre pressed firmly against the roller (so that there is no slipping of the tyre against the roller).
Quote Reply
Re: trainers and tires [Roy in Oz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i ride conti's and they have never beaded on my trainer. They get a little squared off from the trainer but i think thats pretty normal/acceptable. I ride them at like 100 psi or so.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: trainers and tires [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, continentals seem to last if run at 110psi and the trainer's resistance roller is correctly adjusted against the tire. Using an inexpensive tire is also a good alternative or last season's worn out training tires.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: trainers and tires [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had really good luck with the michelin tires as well. I've also been using a hutchinson reflex that has worked very well.

Vredistein's seemed like they beaded up regarless of the pressure, and the softer Conti's didn't seem to work very well for me. I prefer to use a totally slick tire, and I have an inexpensive rear wheel and cassette that I use on the trainer.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply