Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
trainer time! (trainer decision)
Quote | Reply
http://www.rei.com/product/893035/kinetic-road-machine-smart-bike-trainer

http://www.rei.com/product/863020/cycleops-fluid2-bike-trainer-2014

looking to upgrade from my crap $70 amazon trainer to something a little better. I know the power is nice but i could use virtual power as well with the Cycleops with trainer road. what would you go for? the kinetic has the built in power but I do not have power on the bike and probably wont till 2017.

any feedback. not trying to blow a ton of cash.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vortex Smart, way better than both options and under 300 usd from bike-discount.de

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used Fluid2, often can be had via craigslist for 100 bucks or less. I went this route, the thing is bomb-proof and has lasted 3 years so far. Use virtual power with TR until you get a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclops is having a deal now to trade in your crap trainer for 25% off one of theirs. Just FYI:

http://www.cycleops.com/...z0pcgCFUg7gQod_cUKfg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kurt Kinetic Road machine.

I own two of them, both are going strong having seen heavy usage year round since 2006. Some of the best money I've spend since taking up triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Kurt Kinetic Road machine.

I own two of them, both are going strong having seen heavy usage year round since 2006. Some of the best money I've spend since taking up triathlon.

yup

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions I am going to go with the Kinetic smart trainer. Performance bike has 10% off at lunchtime on Tuesdays so will try to scoop it then. thanks again.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the Vortex?

Is anything else needed besides the trainer to run Trainer road?
I read the following from the bike discount page.

"If you want to train with a PC or laptop you can purchase the Upgrade Smart."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned the Kurt Kinetic fluid, the Cyclops Fluid trainer and while they are good trainers, I never liked the lack of adjustability of them. The feeling on these trainers was like I was pedalling into the wind.

I have also tried other trainers (Tacx blue magic, Tacx Satori, Computrainer), and most recently was convinced (by comments on another thread) to try the Tacx Vortex Smart. Quite simply, it is the best trainer I have ever used. The ability to adjust resistance is great, The control of resistance is fast, the output of speed and power is a nice plus, and the ability to integrate with trainer road (through ANT+ FE-C) is fantastic.

Given that the Vortex and Fluid trainers are about the same price, you're getting way more value in the Vortex.

I bought my vortex smart from the same place that the other poster mentioned and it arrived within a week of ordering.

http://www.bike-discount.de/...delivery_country=210
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.nashbar.com/...0052_10053_559310_-1

I bought a Nashbar fluid trainer last year, it's been great. It pushes back what you put in as the fluid warms. Very quiet as well, I'm usually in the basement under my three yer olds room training after he goes to bed and it's never woken him up.

Got mine for 150 on Amazon, there are group set buys also for the trainer, mat and riser for the front wheel.

Good luck shopping!

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kurt Kinetic road machine all the way. I have two of them in out house and I will bet it will be the last trainer you buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember: Every time you ride indoors and don't post a pic on social media, God makes an armadillo. @MtnBikeRadio #onelessarmadillo

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I have owned the Kurt Kinetic fluid, the Cyclops Fluid trainer and while they are good trainers, I never liked the lack of adjustability of them. The feeling on these trainers was like I was pedalling into the wind.

I have also tried other trainers (Tacx blue magic, Tacx Satori, Computrainer), and most recently was convinced (by comments on another thread) to try the Tacx Vortex Smart. Quite simply, it is the best trainer I have ever used. The ability to adjust resistance is great, The control of resistance is fast, the output of speed and power is a nice plus, and the ability to integrate with trainer road (through ANT+ FE-C) is fantastic.

Given that the Vortex and Fluid trainers are about the same price, you're getting way more value in the Vortex.

I bought my vortex smart from the same place that the other poster mentioned and it arrived within a week of ordering.

http://www.bike-discount.de/...delivery_country=210

Do you ride a singespeed on your trainer? Because, if not, the easist way to adjust resistance is to shift to a different gear.
Or pedal faster or slower - you could even do that on a SS.

I've had an adjustable trainer (a Performance one), but it's been gathering dust since I got the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine a decade ago.
They just work.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course adjusting gears will change the power output. Of course another solution would be to adjust your cadence. In all honesty, if doing those things works for you, great!

What I want is a trainer that best simulates the speeds AND cadence that I'm experiencing on the road (not to choose one or the other). The 'feel' that I get from those fluid trainers is (as I said previously), like I'm pedalling into the wind. This isn't an enjoyable experience for me (let alone the fact that I'm already on a trainer in the first place).

Now, add on to that, the benefits of the Vortex Smart: FE-C controllable, adjustable resistance, AND sold at the same price point.

The choice is obvious to me. However, to each their own. In the end, the best choice is the trainer you'll want to keep using. For me, that is the vortex smart.

P.S. The vortex smart is not the same crappy adjustable trainer that you got from Performance;). Don't judge all trainers based on the experiences of a cheap trainer that was made over a decade ago!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you.

As far as "pedaling into the wind", what's wrong with that? It makes you stronger.
My HIM 'watts' on the trainer yields me about 19 mph, when in the real world, I'd be going 24-25 mph. Who cares?
Work is work. If it's "fun", you're doing it wrong. ;-)

If your Vortex Smart is still doing all those things 3-5-10 years from now, then you're right - it's a great deal.

The only main takeaway that I got from the Performance trainer was - I didn't need adjustability, period.
YMMV, and obviously does.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: Pedaling into the wind: If you're still working at the same 'watts' (just slower), is it really making you stronger? The way I see it, peddling at slower speeds at the same watts is just 'different'. ...But that's not the part that makes you stronger.

What will make me stronger is a trainer that keeps me training better, riding longer and harder than I otherwise would. I have to say that training tools like trainerroad (there are many other options too) have helped me do this. Now combine the synchronzation between trainerroad, and the vortex smart and I've got a package that is truly helping to make me a stronger rider.

Re: 'Work is work'
Cycling isn't work. It's a hobby. ...and one that I love to do. I like pedalling hard and that feeling of putting everything I've got into a group ride, road race, or TT. That is very fun and cathartic to me. However, If cycling feels like 'work', I'd say it's either your profession, or you're doing it all wrong ;) (don't take that statement personally, I'm just kidding). Either way, that's not how I approach my hobby!
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [the_thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the_thief wrote:
Do you have the Vortex?

Is anything else needed besides the trainer to run Trainer road?
I read the following from the bike discount page.

"If you want to train with a PC or laptop you can purchase the Upgrade Smart."

Just the ANT+ usb key. The inbuilt cadence sucks on the Vortex Smart (everything else is amazing) so I have a garmin cadence sensor attached to the bike.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 road machines. Unless I needed some connectivity feature I couldn't get any other way, I'd be hard pressed to use anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I want is a trainer that best simulates the speeds AND cadence that I'm experiencing on the road (not to choose one or the other). The 'feel' that I get from those fluid trainers is (as I said previously), like I'm pedalling into the wind. This isn't an enjoyable experience for me (let alone the fact that I'm already on a trainer in the first place).

I'm a big advocate for my kreitler rollers with the killer headwind attachment. The wind resistance increases with effort and speed. Plus, I have it blowing in my face to give me the illusion that I'm moving somewhere. When I'm feeling lazy (which is 99.7% of the time), I use the fork stand. I couldn't be happier.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a kurt kinetic -- you can definitely pick them up used.

~The Diesel~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloreality Lynx is more similar to the road than any other trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's a wonderful trainer. At 10x the price of what we are talking about, it had better be! ...At $3,000, I'm not sure how it's relevant to a discussion about $300 trainers;).

Sausagetail wrote:
Veloreality Lynx is more similar to the road than any other trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [TheDieselOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheDieselOne wrote:
I have a kurt kinetic -- you can definitely pick them up used.

Just did thanks guys snagged it for $150 barely used.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you feel like you are "pedaling into the wind" it isn't because your trainer doesn't have adjustable resistance. Your legs don't know or care how fast your rear wheel is spinning.

The thing I dislike about trainers is the lack of momentum. It requires a different pedaling stroke and muscle activation compared to riding outdoors. The old Lemond trainer specifically addressed this issue, and maybe there are others. I have a KK and it's one of the better ones in this respect, but still not there. Going hard on it just feels wrong. Maybe the Tacx Vortex is better? I can guarantee that the lack of variable resistance on the KK isn't the problem.

Quote Reply
Re: trainer time! (trainer decision) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with that perspective and the lack of momentum that you described. The adjustability of the Vortex seems to allow me to get into a better zone of resistance, cadence, and momentum that I like to ride at.
Quote Reply

Prev Next