Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tool to change ID in .fit file
Quote | Reply
Had to use .fitfiletools to separate activities recorded in triathlon mode to upload to strava. The bike and run separated, but the swim won't upload due to strava saying it's the same activity as the bike, though different time points and the bike being stripped from the file, so it must have the same activity ID. Suggestion for a tool to provide a new ID for a .fit file?

thanks

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: tool to change ID in .fit file [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will Golden Cheetah do this? I've imported, changed stuff, and then exported using GC, but never your specific scenario.
Quote Reply
Re: tool to change ID in .fit file [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good question. I can't export .fit files from GC, but that may just be me.

I figured it out: just imported the original .fit file for the 5 events (swim, t1, bike, t2, run), deleted transitions and then cropped the swim and bike and the run didn't need cropping and since it was a .fit file, the run has my stryd power info, so that worked.

i remember seeing an option on a .fit edit site that allowed with the click of a button to export the file with a new ID, but I can't find that. oh well!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: tool to change ID in .fit file [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you figured it out.

There are no IDs in a FIT file. Load it in a free tool like FitEdit. Look through the data and you won't find any IDs, either in the Activity, Session, Lap, or Record messages.

The ID you see on Garmin Connect or Strava is a number they invent. Neither service discloses how they identify duplicate activities, but I know from testing that they at least check for overlapping timestamps. Makes sense; you can't be on the bike and in the water at the same time.

I suspect that the tool you used botched the timestamps, so Strava thought there was an overlap.

You can edit timestamps and other fields in FitEdit. Disclosure, I am the developer.

Doug Slater
Athlete & Founder, EnduraByte https://www.endurabyte.com/
Check out my app! https://www.fitedit.io/
Last edited by: dougrnr: Nov 28, 23 13:20
Quote Reply