Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tires
Quote | Reply
need some advice / recommendations re; tires. probably due for two new ones. however, have no idea where to start. bike is felt b 14 that until now, I have been riding with the stock tires, that came w bike - which have been totally fine. however, after a long winter and tons of time on the trainer, I am due for new one (and likely front too). any suggestions? not looking to break the bank on the new ones, as I likely won't be able to tell the difference. just need solid tires and reasonable price. any thoughts are much appreciated. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: tires [jonnies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for training or racing?

good tires are, by an order of magnitude, the most important piece of equipment on your bike. In terms of safety, speed, comfort, and handling.

I'd go ahead and break the bank. (spend $150)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of weight, rolling resistance, puncture resistance, and cost as the main factors. I agree with Jack, it's better to invest in something good.

A lot of riders keep two sets: for training, one set to max out puncture resistance with little regard for the other factors; for racing, one that goes for low weight, low rolling resistance, and sacrifices some puncture resistance.

Just don't give up too much puncture resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: tires [blackmags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight is a complete non factor.

The continental 4000S 23mm is a great tire for almost any use, if you don't feel like doing calculus, just get that. If it is expensive, use it only for races, it will last you like 2 years.

blackmags wrote:
Think of weight, rolling resistance, puncture resistance, and cost as the main factors. I agree with Jack, it's better to invest in something good.

A lot of riders keep two sets: for training, one set to max out puncture resistance with little regard for the other factors; for racing, one that goes for low weight, low rolling resistance, and sacrifices some puncture resistance.

Just don't give up too much puncture resistance.

Quote Reply
Re: tires [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the GP 4000s (mine are in their 3rd year, used for races only). Pair with latex tubes for best results.

But yes, it is expensive rubber to use every day, so I run training/winter tires as well. I'd recommend either Conti Gatorskins, or Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Gatorskins are a good halfway house - they pack some puncture resistance and will last a lot longer than a race tire, but they still roll quite nicely. Perfect if you train on quite nice roads, but on bad road surfaces they'll cut up fairly quickly, and they're not great in the wet. The Schwalbes are the closest thing to a bulletproof road tire I've ever found, and have decent grip as well, but you do pay the price in rolling resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin Pro 4's or Conti 4000S's are a good choice. If you look on various bike websites you can usually find a deal on one of these. Get either the 23mm or 25mm versions.
Quote Reply
Re: tires [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fastest Pro4 I see tested is the Pro 4 Comp SC

That is 4 watts more rolling resistance than the 4000S, doesn't have the 4000S aero properties, and isn't any more durable.

Sometimes they are a lot cheaper though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I wouldn't race a Pro 4...but for general riding they are really smooth and grippy tires. The OP is a new rider, and I think they would work out well for him, especially as a training tire. Down the road he could always invest in Supersonics with latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't care about performance and only durability, then go for a cheap durable tire. Price goes up for racing tires or a better mix of performance & durability.
Quote Reply
Re: tires [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Michelin Pro 4's or Conti 4000S's are a good choice. If you look on various bike websites you can usually find a deal on one of these. Get either the 23mm or 25mm versions.

These are both great tires. They are expensive, so look for deals online (PBK, Wiggle, Biketiresdirect). The GP4000 (not the 4000s) is a slightly older tire, still great and much cheaper.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to your local Specialized bike dealer. There have promo on tires. buy 1 get 1 free.
Quote Reply
Re: tires [BluffPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BluffPlace wrote:
Go to your local Specialized bike dealer. There have promo on tires. buy 1 get 1 free.

If that includes the S Works turbo that's a huge win.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 30, 15 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: tires [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the promo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S-Works turbo are great, but they seem more prone to cuts than a GP4000. I like the way they feel better - or maybe I like the way they look and I like they way looking at them feels.

But at 2 for 1, I'll pick up a new pair or two and probably some of the big Roubaix tires for summer commuting on the CX bike.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: tires [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? Aw man... maybe I'll just stick with what works then (GP4000s rear, Attack is staying on the front regardless but man is it a PITA to fit)

I was also thinking about some big Roubaix or maybe All Condition Armadillo Elites for training tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just kinda of an fyi. I was at my LBS and this is what we found

Specialized has 2 different type of s-works turbo tire.

S-Works Turbo tire which has the buy 1 get 1 offer

Then there is the S-Works Turbo WC. Which is SKU 00015-1087. On the website, they look the same, the difference is that the WC only comes in 700x24 and has a 220-TPI and the plain S-Works Turbo has a 120-TPI

Also, the consumer Specialized website only shows the S-Works Turbo WC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking mainly for racing but am really worried about getting flats. Just have bad luck with them in a couple races.

I'll keep a completely different set of trainer tires, but for those who recommended the GP 4000s...Any problems with flatting at all? There's a lot of good deals on ProBikeKit right now for different tires: GP 4000s, Michelin Pro 4 Race, Vittoria Open Corsa CX.

Which should I go for?
Last edited by: C_Hassard: Apr 9, 15 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: tires [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my experience with those 3 tire choices the Contis offer the best flat protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used all 3 tires, GP and Vittoria for racing, and training on all 3 and have had no issues with flatting. I brought out my Vittorias I raced with 2 years ago and used them for a winter trainer tire. They seem to wear fast and do get nicks in them quickly when on the road but I repaired them with wetsuit glue, I think Jackmott approved (?). I am racing with GP's now and have been the last 3 seasons. Debating whether or not to change to Specialized Turbo Cotton after reading some stuff on another thread but happy with the GPs, and don't want to spend more money when I have a great tire sitting in my closet for racing. I found the Pro Race tires harder to mount than Vittoria or GP so that might be something you want to consider too. If you get a flat and can't change it in a few minutes the time saved doesn't really matter. I head the Vittoria are TERRIBLE aerodynamically so that might be something too. But no matter what way you go PUT LATEX TUBES IN THEM!!!!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: tires [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had butyl tubes would I be way more prone to flats? Or is it just a matter of speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No nothing to do with flats. Just a more comfy ride and free watts!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply