Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tightening threadless headset
Quote | Reply
Just picked up bike from UPS and when it was dismantled after wildflower they removed the nut at the top, the cap and the stem, now I put it back together and there is altogether way to much play, how do I tighten it up?
Quote Reply
Re: tightening threadless headset [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not meaning to sound like a wise guy or anything - but are you sure you have everything snugged together correctly? sometimes you have to jiggle things around a spell and then " ka-KLUNK" - things kinda fall in place and there you go. also, not knowing what exactly you have there, it is easy sometimes to put a spacer or top washer or some small piece on upside down or backa$$wards. be sure to eyeball everything with a keen eye to make sure its various lips and seals and whathaveyou are in a logical place within the mechanism. similarly, make sure that nothing appears to be missing from the disassembly - leaving a telltale gap in the piece as compared to before.

good luck - dunno what it might be otherwise but maybe some sage s-twitch poster does.

i didn't know you did wildflower - lucky b-stard. how'd it go?
Quote Reply
No WF for me, the GF did it [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a tard, I think the guy that disassembled it tossed or misplaced the spacer, there was a gap at the top and I could not figure out why the fork was longer than the parts that go on it.............washer, large spacer, stem then a gap and the nut and cap on the top, one spacer later and it is aok...........

Not suprisingly there was no WF for moi, no races in the immediate future either but did get all clear from Hemo and Onc yesterday so that was a huge relief, he said I dodged a bullet and may resume all normalcy :) but no beer, well a max of 1-2
Quote Reply
Re: No WF for me, the GF did it [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heh - oh yeah, i forgot about that pesky "almost having your british a$$ killed dead" thing. duh. so, you shipped your bike and then this hit? dude you lead an exciting life. :)
Quote Reply
Re: No WF for me, the GF did it [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah, girlfriends bike, finally got that back together but I cant get the gears to work, she's running something like 13-27 as a triple and when in the small ring 29 prehaps it changes smoothly from the 27 in the rear down 4 gears then I move up to the 39 and it run smoothly in the same 4 plus one more but as I get to the smaller cogs 13 and the 2 above when in the 53 in the front it is constantly trying to skip out of those gears, I adjust the barrel adjustor and it will not stay in gear, do I need to adjust those 2 small screws??????????

hows mooooo training going, I sore your daughters a stud, hanging with the pack and taking the hit, tough as nails.......
Quote Reply
Re: No WF for me, the GF did it [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those two small screws only adjust how far out the derailleur can move, i.e. into your frame dropout or into your wheel. They are the limit screws, which adjust the "limits" of the derailleur's movement. They have nothing to do wth how the derailleur shifts. Cable tension is what adjusts the shifting. Those two geasr may be used more or less than the rest of the cogs, so the chain may not mesh well with them. If she spends alot of time riding in one gear or another, without using the whole cluster, one gear will wear out much faster then the rest.

tommy
Quote Reply