Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

thoughts on zipp clinchers
Quote | Reply
anyone use them? looking to put them or something else on mavic cosmic carbones for some TT's, I wiegh around 205 lbs.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [spinit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much data for Zipp clinchers on the AFM chart unfortunately. I have been racing on the Vittoria Corsa EVO CX 320tpi and have been very happy. They run about 50-70bucks each.

http://www.biketechreview.com/...ire_testing_rev9.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the zipp clinchers are the same tire as the vittoria corsa evo cx 320tpi, with dimples on the side and a different tread pattern.

you can assume they will have the same CRR as the vittorias. they are made by vittoria, same casing/tire etc

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about the new carbon clinchers, or the standard Zipp clincher? I have a 303/404 set from 07, and although they look sweet on my road bike, and roll nicely, my biggest problem with them is that they have been a pain in the arse to change when flatting. Moved to Colorado in the fall, and had MULTIPLE flats from goathead thorns... changing the flats out on the Zipps was enough of a hassle that I switched to some Mavic Ksyrium ES's and they are much easier to throw on a new tube. Will likely sell the Zipps now.... besides, I have a new set of carbon clinchers coming!!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell me you are talking about the tire, not the rim.

If you are talking about the rim, please search.

If you look at the boxes, you can tell they come from the same factory in Thailand that makes Vittorias. I've used the 21mm Tangente and really like it as an alternative between the old AW19 and the ubiquitous 23s. (I weigh ~185 lately, but have mostly raced in the 170-175 range in recent years.) Just right, as Goldilocks might say; never mind the dimpled tread gimmick.
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [shackmantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am talking about the tire.
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the zipp clinchers are the same tire as the vittoria corsa evo cx 320tpi, with dimples on the side and a different tread pattern.

you can assume they will have the same CRR as the vittorias. they are made by vittoria, same casing/tire etc

I cant seem to find the cora evo cx 320 in a 21 mm do they make it?
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this is a thread hijack but is it safe to assume the Crr of the 21 vittorias is the same as the 23s. The 23s are more widely available though I see places online selling the 21.

The hijack part: I have a P2 with a set of SRAM S80s and wheelcover. I recently purchased a pair of continental supersonic 20s for the front since they are the fastest rolling most narrow (easily obtainable) tire per afm. Question is whether I should run suso 20s front and back or buy a slightly wider tire like the vittoria that features some punture protection. For reference my race weight is ~150.

Thanks!

"Communities like Portland pride themselves on subverting the structure so people with special needs are taken care of first. That’s why people like living here. It’s a highly curated city." - Carrie Brownstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I cant seem to find the cora evo cx 320 in a 21 mm do they make it?

Technically I believe they call it a 700x20. They measure a bit wider then that. I've got 2 NIB sitting around collecting dust if you are interested.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [stevepdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the supersonics are interesting I would consider them for the front only but I think at 205 +/- i still think i might be to big for them even for the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd think the pressures for a 20-21 might be an issue. Max pressure on the supersonics I just got is 170 for 20c! If I read the box either recommended or min is 130. Since I'm a smaller guy I can run them a little lower and sprints or Olympics I can tough it out. Don't know if I'd want it for longer.

"Communities like Portland pride themselves on subverting the structure so people with special needs are taken care of first. That’s why people like living here. It’s a highly curated city." - Carrie Brownstein
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [stevepdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevepdx wrote:
I'd think the pressures for a 20-21 might be an issue. Max pressure on the supersonics I just got is 170 for 20c! If I read the box either recommended or min is 130. Since I'm a smaller guy I can run them a little lower and sprints or Olympics I can tough it out. Don't know if I'd want it for longer.

I try to go skinny up front and wider in the back- 20/21 for the front & 23 in the back. Don't think being aero is as important as rolling res and comfort and puncture protection for the rear. I only do TT's so a flat would be a real bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm considering. I mounted a supersonic 20 on the SRAM s80 (older zipp shape) and it was a much better fit than the 23s I had previously been running. I was also surprised at how easily they went on. Some people are of the opinion that anything that's going to cause a puncture will puncture any low crr tire regardless of composition or width. I don't know. Good luck!

Quote Reply
Re: thoughts on zipp clinchers [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DD-

I am interested in the tires, do you have some latex inner tubes?
Quote Reply