Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
this is one reason why you didn't KQ
Quote | Reply
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/14/your-money/when-amateur-ironmen-pay-for-the-elite-treatment.html
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/14/your-money/when-amateur-ironmen-pay-for-the-elite-treatment.html

it has nothing to do with KQ'ing. He didn't earn or take a slot at any event. Like many (more than most here on ST know) he got in through a non-competitive way.

I wouldn't go to Kona unless I earned it, and, it wouldn't in any way make me any better as a person than anyone else. If someone wants to pay for coaching, etc. to be there with them - great. My coach travels with me to every race (ah, that's me). Sometimes I wish I could get rid of him!

Hard to believe NY Times even wasted their time on this NON-story.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean he paid more for a eBay Kona slot? Or another person got a sponsor slot? And this is new news?

quite an emotive title for a non topic

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Last edited by: GrimOopNorth: Feb 12, 16 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article. Could be summarized by "Money buys you cool stuff but chances are you're still slow."

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
You mean he paid more for a eBay Kona slot? Or another person got a sponsor slot? And this is new news?

There are a finite number of spots on pier. More sponsor slots means less KQ slots.

This topic has obviously been discussed previously. I don't think that makes it a non topic. When you read about somebody who is really slow but rich getting the chance to race kona, it should trigger unease. Yes life isn't fair, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't lament that fact and strive for fairness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

There are a finite number of spots on pier. More sponsor slots means less KQ slots.

This topic has obviously been discussed previously. I don't think that makes it a non topic. When you read about somebody who is really slow but rich getting the chance to race kona, it should trigger unease. Yes life isn't fair, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't lament that fact and strive for fairness.

Professional sports are not about athletic fairness; they are there to make money. If you want athletic fairness, qualify for the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right- it has been discussed on the forum ad nauseum. It's not news. We all know it happens, and if anyone doesn't, ask them to watch the last 30 mins of the swim leg and ask if those dragging themselves out of the water qualified or were given a slot (bar the tail end of the older AGs). You see that 40 YO pie eater that rolls in just before cut off looking like a wounded orca trying to hit the beach to find another ice cream? Sponsor slot.

Maybe my terming it a non topic isn't correct, but it's not new, it is emotive and for all the wailing and nashing of teeth precisely nothing happens.

As I've said before: Kona is WTCs toy to play with as they see fit. As 50WtK found out we as consumers have approx zero influence with them.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
You're right- it has been discussed on the forum ad nauseum. It's not news. We all know it happens, and if anyone doesn't, ask them to watch the last 30 mins of the swim leg and ask if those dragging themselves out of the water qualified or were given a slot (bar the tail end of the older AGs). You see that 40 YO pie eater that rolls in just before cut off looking like a wounded orca trying to hit the beach to find another ice cream? Sponsor slot.

Maybe my terming it a non topic isn't correct, but it's not new, it is emotive and for all the wailing and nashing of teeth precisely nothing happens.

As I've said before: Kona is WTCs toy to play with as they see fit. As 50WtK found out we as consumers have approx zero influence with them.

Yep. The vast majority of folks have to qualify, but WTC is free to give slots to well connected friends. But as I like to point out, even the Olympics ignores qualifications when they think someone's participation will benefit the sport. Case in point, Eric Moussambani, Sydney Olympics, 100m freestyle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZp0Bhmq9o
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:

I'm not as fatalistic. We have seen Messick come on here and at times respond to discussions about kona slots. I think it's every bit WTC's right to play with kona as they see fit, but I'm hopeful that we as peons can have some small measure of influence. See kny's crusade for mathematically proportional slot allocation...we may see more fairness as a result of his efforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And for all of the rational arguments that clearly illustrate the problems, and WTCs CEO coming on here to post... Nothing has changed.

But back to your original point: you're saying that people haven't KQ as sponsors get slots to allocate as they see fit, yes?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
solitude wrote:

it has nothing to do with KQ'ing. He didn't earn or take a slot at any event. Like many (more than most here on ST know) he got in through a non-competitive way.

I wouldn't go to Kona unless I earned it, and, it wouldn't in any way make me any better as a person than anyone else. If someone wants to pay for coaching, etc. to be there with them - great. My coach travels with me to every race (ah, that's me). Sometimes I wish I could get rid of him!

I'll comment on this one since I've done Kona both ways - twice via the Executive Challenge (XC) program and twice as an outright qualifier. Ironman has had media and other slots for a long time; there's just not much transparency around them. They represent a pretty small overall number, but the exact number I don't know. WTC created XC in 2009 after having licensed that particular program prior to 2009 to an outfit called CEO Challenge; they rightly saw an opportunity to pull it in house and take more of the money. I had the Kona monkey on my back big time but had just started a job that required monthly trips to Germany from the Bay Area as well as other travel, so though I had a 10:31 IM to my credit as a 45-49 guy, I was pretty far off KQing and had no realistic chance to KQ anytime soon (wasn't even sure I would ever be capable, independent of work travel, etc.). So WTC offered the program, and I signed on. I still had to do a race (IMLP that particular year), and either win the age division (they set up arbitrary age divisions to balance out the number of competitors in each) or improve my PR by the most - KQing wasn't automatic, but your odds are pretty good if you're at all decent. It depends of course on who shows up, but with XC you can sort of "scout" who's signed up for which race. That said, only 3 people out of (I think) 9 in that race got slots, so it wasn't automatic.

I did Kona that year, in 11:52 - not a great time, but it was a hot year and I ended up finishing ahead of many qualifiers in my AG, so whatever. The best part about that experience was the treatment my family and friends got from XC, so even though it was quite a cash outlay (can't remember exactly, but over $4000), that money did include a nice hotel room, some meals (with pros and IM icons like Greg Welch and PNF) and VIP access for the fam. The other great part about XC is the camaraderie among the group - I got to meet a lot of successful, interesting people, and there's even a little "competition within the competition" among the group. But while it was great in a lot of ways, I did want to come back and do better.

I thought that one time was going to be it, but then my local tri team decided to do IMAZ as a group in 2010, and I so I opted to do that race in the XC program. Again, a great experience - we had a breakfast with Leanda Cave, Jordan Rapp and Max Longree, excellent rooms in the race hotel right by the start/finish, VIP treatment for the family, and I got my Kona slot for 2011. I could go on - the 2011 Kona experience was superb - but you get the idea. Neither I nor any of the other XC athletes had any illusion that we had "qualified" for Kona, but we had experienced the race and done so in a way that most qualifiers don't get to do. I was glad I had been able to do it, but I still had a sense of unfinished business. Having then done Kona twice - a race I don't even like that much - I promised myself that if I ever did Kona again, it would be as a normal qualifier.

In 2012 I did two things: I worked a lot on my bike, and I turned 50. That resulted in an 18-minute IM PR of 10:04 in IMAZ and a surprising 3rd in M50-54, which earned me my first real KQ. I was dumbfounded. Although I had imagined KQing in my mind, I never really thought it would happen. I was able to repeat that in the 2014 IMAZ race, even going a place better, but it was also a bit of luck of the draw (i.e., who else showed up).

Which way is better? For pure personal satisfaction, KQing the normal way hands down. But apart from that, from the perspective of the treatment of the athlete and family, as well as getting to know some solid people, XC is hard to beat.

As for the NYT story, it probably isn't news that having money affords you access to experiences not available to everyone. I know of at least one XC guy who flies to races in a private jet. I could criticize, but the truth is I only wish that's how I rolled.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed out on coaching that athlete. damn. :)

I suspect $100k for this individual, financially, is equal to average athletes spending around $20k including coach, bike, travel, misc. I don;t see the big deal. Good for him for spending money on something he loves rather than reinvesting it to make more money he doesn't really need.

I don;t understand the point of this post.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

OP is trying to pawn off his/her inability to qualify for kona on anything other than the fact that theyre not fast enough to do so
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MeltingPot wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

OP is trying to pawn off his/her inability to qualify for kona on anything other than the fact that theyre not fast enough to do so

[sigh] The point, as already stated multiple times above, is that more and more spots on the pier are going towards these types of opaque sponsor giveaways rather than athletes who earned them. More sponsor slots = less KQ slots, thus it is harder and harder to KQ. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand and why more people don't continue to be troubled by this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

[sigh] The point, as already stated multiple times above, is that more and more spots on the pier are going towards these types of opaque sponsor giveaways rather than athletes who earned them. More sponsor slots = less KQ slots, thus it is harder and harder to KQ. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand and why more people don't continue to be troubled by this.

What evidence is that that the numbers of these slots is increasing? I think by far the largest factor in making KQ more difficult in recent years is the expansion in number of races necessitating fewer slots at each race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:

Professional sports are not about athletic fairness; they are there to make money. If you want athletic fairness, qualify for the Olympics.

AGers are not professionals and the slots are there for anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
solitude wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

What evidence is that that the numbers of these slots is increasing? I think by far the largest factor in making KQ more difficult in recent years is the expansion in number of races necessitating fewer slots at each race.

OK fair enough: There is no evidence that the number has been increasing because the sponsor slots are completely opaque. Maybe they have been increasing, maybe not. But clearly they exist and ipso facto detract from the number available for KQs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How hard is it to qualify for Kona?
If I had to guess, I would say:
1) It was harder in the 2010-2014 era.
2) That many races (with only a few slots each)- means sometimes it is very difficult, sometimes very easy.
3) That lots of AG athletes are spending big money on bikes and coaches.
4) That athletic talent and hard work used to be how most people qualified. Now it is $$$ and hard work.
But talent is still better than money.
5) And money alone does not help you qualify. It just buys you a slot.
Everyone who matters knows the difference between a KQ athlete and an Ironman participant.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
solitude wrote:

I'll comment on this one since I've done Kona both ways - twice via the Executive Challenge (XC) program and twice as an outright qualifier. Ironman has had media and other slots for a long time; there's just not much transparency around them. They represent a pretty small overall number, but the exact number I don't know. WTC created XC in 2009 after having licensed that particular program prior to 2009 to an outfit called CEO Challenge; they rightly saw an opportunity to pull it in house and take more of the money. I had the Kona monkey on my back big time but had just started a job that required monthly trips to Germany from the Bay Area as well as other travel, so though I had a 10:31 IM to my credit as a 45-49 guy, I was pretty far off KQing and had no realistic chance to KQ anytime soon (wasn't even sure I would ever be capable, independent of work travel, etc.). So WTC offered the program, and I signed on. I still had to do a race (IMLP that particular year), and either win the age division (they set up arbitrary age divisions to balance out the number of competitors in each) or improve my PR by the most - KQing wasn't automatic, but your odds are pretty good if you're at all decent. It depends of course on who shows up, but with XC you can sort of "scout" who's signed up for which race. That said, only 3 people out of (I think) 9 in that race got slots, so it wasn't automatic.

I did Kona that year, in 11:52 - not a great time, but it was a hot year and I ended up finishing ahead of many qualifiers in my AG, so whatever. The best part about that experience was the treatment my family and friends got from XC, so even though it was quite a cash outlay (can't remember exactly, but over $4000), that money did include a nice hotel room, some meals (with pros and IM icons like Greg Welch and PNF) and VIP access for the fam. The other great part about XC is the camaraderie among the group - I got to meet a lot of successful, interesting people, and there's even a little "competition within the competition" among the group. But while it was great in a lot of ways, I did want to come back and do better.

I thought that one time was going to be it, but then my local tri team decided to do IMAZ as a group in 2010, and I so I opted to do that race in the XC program. Again, a great experience - we had a breakfast with Leanda Cave, Jordan Rapp and Max Longree, excellent rooms in the race hotel right by the start/finish, VIP treatment for the family, and I got my Kona slot for 2011. I could go on - the 2011 Kona experience was superb - but you get the idea. Neither I nor any of the other XC athletes had any illusion that we had "qualified" for Kona, but we had experienced the race and done so in a way that most qualifiers don't get to do. I was glad I had been able to do it, but I still had a sense of unfinished business. Having then done Kona twice - a race I don't even like that much - I promised myself that if I ever did Kona again, it would be as a normal qualifier.

In 2012 I did two things: I worked a lot on my bike, and I turned 50. That resulted in an 18-minute IM PR of 10:04 in IMAZ and a surprising 3rd in M50-54, which earned me my first real KQ. I was dumbfounded. Although I had imagined KQing in my mind, I never really thought it would happen. I was able to repeat that in the 2014 IMAZ race, even going a place better, but it was also a bit of luck of the draw (i.e., who else showed up).

Which way is better? For pure personal satisfaction, KQing the normal way hands down. But apart from that, from the perspective of the treatment of the athlete and family, as well as getting to know some solid people, XC is hard to beat.

As for the NYT story, it probably isn't news that having money affords you access to experiences not available to everyone. I know of at least one XC guy who flies to races in a private jet. I could criticize, but the truth is I only wish that's how I rolled.

Ian

Now that's a story! Honest, well written and balanced. You're the guy they should have wrote about. I learned a few things, and, the way you wrote allowed me to "take a walk in the other guys moccasins." Reminds me of the time I got to ski at the Yellowstone club as a guest of a multi-hundred millionaire (lives kinda near you). I couldn't resent the joy I had of skiing on fresh powder that saw so few people that the powder didn't get skied out in an hour. If I had that kinda money would I do that? Hell yah!

sorry if my original reply caused offense (I do stick foot in mouth more than is healthy).

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Let's think about from the other side. If you were WTC, would you allow sponsors of your marquee event to have some slots to distribute how they felt fit? And if you didn't, would you refuse if one asked for a few slots for their client base?

There's lots of slots that are allocated differently to the qualifying route, and sections of the tri community aren't happy with them either.

Do you feel conned that Gordon Ramsay deprived someone else of a slot, or do you feel the publicity he brings to the event / brand awareness is a good payoff?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:

Now that's a story! Honest, well written and balanced. You're the guy they should have wrote about. I learned a few things, and, the way you wrote allowed me to "take a walk in the other guys moccasins." Reminds me of the time I got to ski at the Yellowstone club as a guest of a multi-hundred millionaire (lives kinda near you). I couldn't resent the joy I had of skiing on fresh powder that saw so few people that the powder didn't get skied out in an hour. If I had that kinda money would I do that? Hell yah!

sorry if my original reply caused offense (I do stick foot in mouth more than is healthy).

Thanks. I have a friend who lives in Bozeman, and he told me about the Yellowstone Club. Definitely way out of my league.

No offense taken on your reply. In a sense, everyone buys their way into Kona in some form. For most, the currency is hard work and talent. For some, it's 12 IMs, which is both hard work and $$$$. For a very few, celebrity is currency. XC actually represents pretty good value for money in the sense that it's considerably cheaper than doing 12 IMs as long as you get your slot in the first race you do with them. That's not at easy at it sounds, because like KQ in general, the XC division has also gotten more competitive over the years, so you do need to be in great shape and also choose your race wisely.

I do understand and respect the "I'm not going to Kona until I qualify legitimately" ethos, though - I had the same with qualifying for Boston, where I wouldn't let myself run Boston until I went sub 3:00. Back then, the BAA would have been happy with 3:10:59, but that was just my rule for myself.

Ian
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
solitude wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

'Sorry--and only in part stating this as serious...but if Kona is the world championship, shouldn't qualifying spots be limited? I don't get the whole age proportion argument, either. Sponsor giveaways contribute to the event in tangible and non-tangible ways. Without them, is it not conceivable that Kona could be a lot smaller? Truth is, Kona is a bucket list dream for many, hence the demand for more qualifying spots/reallocation of existing spots. Kona is a private event; a lot of allocation complaints strike me (and I'm not necessarily including you in this statement) as entitlement.

All world championships are self-declared; and the owner/organizers get to determine the rules on how you qualify. Everyone has a different idea of what is fair and how slots should be allocated. For example, should world championship races be limited to the top three of each country who meet some minimum, thus eliminating many, many top athletes from some countries so marginally qualified athletes from other countries can attend? Should countries select their team members (in some events) based on performance at a single event which is fair to all; or based on a selection committee who is looking for the most likely medalist even if they had a bad day at a key selection race? We all have a right to complain if a world championship isn't run the way we would like it to be; but the owner/organizer has every right to ignore us. We are free to create our own self declared championship and run it as we would prefer. In the end; the true measure of a world championship is the quality and depth of competition, not the imprimatur of the organizer.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Completely agree. It's money and hard work (just like AG WC events).

I half jokingly told one guy who wanted to qualify that his best bet wasn't to qualify but save the money he would have spent on travel, accomm, race entries etc and buy an eBay charity slot. In retrospect, it might actually be cheaper than multiple attempts or legacy!

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know about you, I didnt qualify because im slow
Quote Reply

Prev Next