Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out.
Quote | Reply

On the subject, Landis told Cyclingnews: “In my opinion Wiggins went from a hopelessly average climber to being the second best rider in the Tour in 2012. In 2011, the year Leinders joined the team, Wiggins transformed into a climber who was even better than he'd been in 2009.

“People are free to judge that for themselves and ask legitimate questions about Sky and their hiring policy.”

“In light of all of this, the comments from Greg, Armstrong, Leinders and Zorzoli, it's not surprising that virtually all legitimate sponsors have fled the sport. It is now financed primarily by bored wealthy men who need a reason to give their wives about why they spend so much time with young leg-shaving men in tight pants.”
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please.....Let's not hold Landis out as any great fountain of wisdom.

Leaving aside his questionable intelligence, he is also the guy who tried to blackmail Lemond by exposing deep, personal secrets.

You'll excuse me if I don't think much of his opinions (even if I happen to agree with some aspects of what he said).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Please.....Let's not hold Landis out as any great fountain of wisdom.

We didn't we held him out as a fountain of humor

Quote:
Leaving aside his questionable intelligence

I guarantee his IQ is above average

Quote:
You'll excuse me if I don't think much of his opinions (even if I happen to agree with some aspects of what he said).

He was in the sport, and is one of the few people actually spewing about how it works. I would listen.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beware the man with nothing left to lose, for he's the one to whom the truth bears no threat. Sure he's had a checkered past and made plenty of ridiculous statements, but the veracity of his claims has tended to rise in inverse proportion to how much he has left to protect.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good stuff.

But the question in my mind, is what are these guys on? Still epo? Or a new undetectable compound?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are both confusing the veracity of his statements re: his involvement in the past vs. the value of his opinions now.

And let me be clear - I think Flandis got jobbed by the system, both the actual system and Omertŕ. I am sympathetic to his plight, but not who he is as a person.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They still aren't climbing any faster than the pre-epo guys did*, so that is good.

*or not much, you have to adjust for the fact that equipment is better in most, but not all, ways than it was pre EPO, so it is an imperfect comparison

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
All good stuff.

But the question in my mind, is what are these guys on? Still epo? Or a new undetectable compound?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
They still aren't climbing any faster than the pre-epo guys did*, so that is good.

Aren't they climbing about as fast as the epo peloton did?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jackmott wrote:

They are, which is why people are rightly skeptical. The bio passport means you can't blatantly dope anymore, but you can microdose EPO and do small infusions to top up your hematocrit with little chance of getting caught.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he's saying that could partly be attributed to equipment. I'm sure the training and nutrition is probably a bit better these days also.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Jan 23, 15 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Floyd is great, he's one of the only riders that speaks "unfiltered"
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
I'm sure the training and nutrition is probably a bit better these days also.

I am sure you are serious.

But it's weird, whenever I now hear the phrase,"the training and nutrition is better these days", I can think of only thing:
that the phrase is a 'cover' for drugs.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While on a long ride a triathlete friend asked me if I thought that the peloton had cleared up from drugs.

I am sad to say no way, that everyone is running 100% clean.

Not to falsely accuse the pro's but:
1. race times never slowed down, so if EPO helped so much, how come?
- Waiting on the study that says that EPO was all fake and give Lance his crap back ha!
2. once you get on the spotlight suddenly you are superstar (not always).
- A lot of folks went from being good to superstar status in light speed. (lots of training?)

Anyone has seen the newbie beating Cavendish(getting old and slow?) in the Sprint down in San Luis? Not normal....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not just let athletes dope if they want to? you know that there are people out there developing new PEDs and testing them on willing or not so willing athletes in most sports. its like calling college athletes student/athletes. think about the research on head trauma in football, hockey, etc. it's more about bad PR that cycling has gotten a bad rap for doping than they are using more PEDs than athletes in other sports.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [bcendrars456] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcendrars456 wrote:
why not just let athletes dope if they want to?

On a 'moral' level, I have no problem with this. The problems come with the various concoctions. Athletes are and will be dropping dead. Even more so if sports become more of a free for all. All this nasty sh*t athletes take have short and long-term side effects, some of them are death and/or cancer. Then, if the rules change, we have to change how we cheer: it will no longer be, "Go Lance ! Go Levi !" but instead, "Go Amgen ! Go Pfizer !" A doped sport is profoundly uninteresting to watch. Another thing, if you have a son or daughter who starts to excel at a young age in a sport, knowing the sport is legally doped, do you encourage them to further excel and go pro? I sure as hell would not. Even Mike Ditka wouldn't want his kids playing football, I think he knows something.

--
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jackmott wrote:

They are, which is why people are rightly skeptical. The bio passport means you can't blatantly dope anymore, but you can microdose EPO and do small infusions to top up your hematocrit with little chance of getting caught.

You're assement is not wrong, but I think that there is more to consider. Training IS better. Not only that, but riders don't show up at the tour with nearly as much racing in their legs as they did in the Lemond era. Riders now have better training methods (the legit ones), more focused preparation, and are not as worn down at the start of the Tour as in the past. Also bikes are light years better than in the Lemond era. Greg won the tour in '85 on a bike that probably weighed on the order of 20-21 pounds, with 32 spoke aluminum rims. Not to mention that it probably had a 7 speed freewheel with a 39x23 low gear whereas now guys have a 39x26 (at least) to save their legs more and a bike that weighs about 5-6 pounds less.

So where does the EPO era fit in? Indurain's bikes were probably very similar to Lemond's, but Armstrongs were probably somewhere in the middle. (Let's be realistic, Indurain was the start of the EPO era as far as grand tours go.) I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Armstrong's 1999 Tour bike weighed in at around 18 pounds or so. Remember that he rode Ksryium wheels which by modern standards aren't particularly light or aero.

So, to accurately compare climbing times between eras you have to take the following factors into account.
1. Equipment. Modern bikes are lighter, more comfortable and more aerodynamic.
2. Clothing. Modern clothing is more comfortable and more aero. Helmets are light and cooling, but EPO era guys didn't wear helmets...
3. Preparation. Legitimate preparation. Modern GT riders are better prepared at the start of the Tour than Lemond era guys, but probably similar to Armstrong era guys. But as a whole, the peloton is probably better prepared at the start of the Tour than even the Armstrong era.
4. Tactics. You can't compare climb times in a vacuum. Lemond's Alpe d'Huez time (182.5 km stage) is pedestrian, but he had been off the front for probably 80 km or more and he rode at a pace to be with his team mate. It's difficult to compare it to an 15.5 km ITT (Armstrong) or in a controlled race where the leader hit the bottom of the Alpe in a pack (Armstrong (209 km), Pantani (203 km)), to Pierre Rolland in 2011 (110 km). Not to mention what was on the line for the GC big hitters. Is that where he made his move for the jersey or was it a stage with a break off the front the the GC leaders just rode to control each other?
5. Where in the Tour was this climb? By this wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/...lpe_d%27Huez#Winners Alpe d'Huez has been anywhere from the 8th stage to the 20th stage. That makes a difference. Also, what was that particular stage like? Was it 110 km with basically one climb like in 2011 or was it a 3 or 4 pass 200 km slog like in other years.

My point is that comparing climb times in the Tour de France is not at all like comparing 10,000 times on the track. There are lots of variable and I think that people put more weight into just the raw climbing time that is appropriate.

That doesn't mean I believe that the modern peloton is pure as the driven snow. But the idea that you can or can't deduce that Froome or Nibali is doping based on comparing climbs in the Tour to the past is just way too fraught with errors.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landis: One of the only people telling it like it is.

Really. Anyone who does not question the transformation of Wiggins, Froome, Porte, and Rogers at Sky is either British or an idiot, probably both because I don't think idiots not in the UK are dumb enough to believe this fairy tale.
Last edited by: Arch Stanton: Jan 24, 15 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Froome is climbing as fast as Armstrong. He broke Armstrong's Madone record. Porte was a few seconds behind. Neither of those guys were beating full grown men as a teenager, so I am not buying into the risible theory that Froome is the greatest talent the sport has ever seen (even though he could barely get a pro contract before he transformed and his own team manager rated him as the worst rider on the team).
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and these where LA's talking points when he was climbing like man on Drugs too....they might not be SUPER doped but doped none the less.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Froome is climbing as fast as Armstrong. He broke Armstrong's Madone record. Porte was a few seconds behind. Neither of those guys were beating full grown men as a teenager, so I am not buying into the risible theory that Froome is the greatest talent the sport has ever seen (even though he could barely get a pro contract before he transformed and his own team manager rated him as the worst rider on the team).

Agreed.

But what are they on? Microdoses? Something new?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Agreed.

But what are they on? Microdoses? Something new?

I think drug assisted weight loss is part of it. For climbing, a 10% decrease in weight can match the performance gains from EPO. But I also think there is something else going on. Sky was flying. No one could match them for two years. Now the others have caught up. I don't believe the official propaganda that says none of the lazy continentals knew how to train until Sky came along.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
For climbing, a 10% decrease in weight can match the performance gains from EPO.

But that would assume you can keep up your power output.
Because, if you're already very light, and then drop another 10%, that's gotta affect power output.

I think it is something else ... not sure what though.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, more good stuff from floyd, this time about lemond:

“I would never pretend to know what I'd do in Greg's shoes. Nor do I know all of what went on between him and Armstrong,” Landis told Cyclingnews. “I can certainly empathize with his personal distaste for Armstrong. However, his inconsistent treatment of riders who doped is troubling and undercuts his argument that Armstrong should be banned for life.”

Landis points to an episode from last year in which LeMond was seen at the Tour de France with former winners Miguel Indurain and Bernard Hinault.

“For example just last year he was seen waiving to crowds from a VIP car at the Tour along with Indurain and Hinault. Greg himself claims to have quit racing in the early 90s because EPO showed up and that is exactly when Indurain began winning. If clean riders were a victim of doping in the Armstrong era and he was a victim of doping in the early 90s then it defies reason why those two should be treated so differently,” Landis said.

“And for those who still have faith in the Indurain years, consider LeMond's comments last year that Pantani was one of the greatest ever. I think that should speak for itself. His wildly varying positions on different dopers are bizarre and indefensible. Greg needs to decide if he’s anti-doping or anti-Lance.”

Direct link:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ng-lacks-consistency

--
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [DarkSpeedWorks]a [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it is not like Flandis doesn't have his own axe to grind against Lemond.

His comments re: consistency thus ring more than a bit hollow.

Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [DarkSpeedWorks]a [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Axe to grind or not they are good points.
Quote Reply

Prev Next