Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
switch from 23 to 25mm tires?
Quote | Reply
I have a 2013 Specialized Roubaix with the original 23mm Specialized Espoir Sport tires (whose performance seems to be fine, but they seem fairly susceptible to small cuts from road debris) mounted on the original DT Axis 1.0 wheels. I previously rode Continental GP4000S tires on my old road bike, and was happy with the performance and durability, so am thinking of getting the same for the Roubaix now that the old tires are getting a bit cut up. I understand tires other than the GP4000S may be a little more aerodynamic or have slightly lower rolling resistance, at some trade-off to durability and/or additional cost, but I'm not sure those trade-offs make sense in my case.

What I am wondering is whether I'd be better served with 25mm tires. I understand they'd be slightly heavier and slightly less aerodynamic, but also have lower rolling resistance, better shock absorption (I ride on some pretty rough chip/seal roads with some pretty significant cracking at times), both as a function of their larger size and because they'd allow me to run lower tire pressure without risking pinch flats. I'm assuming I could slap 25mm tires on my current wheels without issue (please correct if that's mistaken).

Relatedly, I'm 168 lbs, suggestions on inflation pressure also welcome. I used to assume maxing out to 120 psi was a good thing, have recently seen the light and been running 100, so far without issue, and it does seem to improve comfort a bit. I can't tell whether it makes me faster, but my perception is perhaps a little (and logically it should).
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
23 front 25 back
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
23 front 25 back

Because of aerodynamics? Are there handling implications to running different tires front and back? This bike is primarily a road bike, secondarily a tri bike with Redshift aerobars and seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run 25mm front and back. Wouldn't bother with two different sizes personally. The amount of aero you're going to gain is going to be immaterially small. Better off just wearing a better skinsuit/working on your position.

25mm tyres with latex tubes are the best I've run. Plenty more cornering confidence, especially in the wet, and seem to roll a lot better than 23mm tyres I've had.

------------------------------------------
http://www.twhatley.com
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [Whatleytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the recommendation to go from 23 to 25 mm influenced at all by my sticking with my current narrow wheels that came with the bike? Because my impression is that a lot of folks are running a wider tire on a wider rim, are people also sticking wider tires on their pretty narrow rims?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was in your position, I'd go 25mm front and back.

After wearing out the stock 23mm tyres on my road bike, I went through a phase of using 23mm front and 25mm back (GP4000S). My reasoning for this was that the rear tyre was more suseptible to punctures and would have higher real world rolling resistance due to my weight being over it. 23mm in the front was to maintain aerodynamics.

Now I use 25mm front and rear. I prefer the ride quality, which I think has a bigger impact on my speed over a long ride than the aero hit (I'm also on narrow training rims).

I still use 23mm front and rear on my TT bike though. I have FLO wheels on it, so will go with the recommendations from Chris and Jon's test on that one.

Also, I wouldn't consider the difference in handling to be a deciding factor. Perhaps if you do a lot of wet descending then 25mm front makes even more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go 25 front and back. Another fine choice would be the Roubaix Pro; I run the 25-8 on my road bike (a Roubaix) and ride lots of chip seal. I have found as good as performance and had better flat resistance than Conti GP on my routes.

I actually train on this tire on my Felt tri bike as well.

P.S. I run at 90psi and weigh ~185

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been enjoying the s-works turbo clincher, 24 front 26 rear at 90 psi with latex. Very nice ride quality and handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares about aero on a Roubaix? I ride and road race 25/25 all the time other than fall when I go up to 28s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the clearance, go for it.
The clearance on my road and TT frames won't allow anything greater than a 23mm Conti 4000S (mounted on wide rims measures 25mm)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just speculation, but because said bike isn't "aero" to begin with and neither are the wheels, I'd just go for as big of a tire as you can fit with the idea being to maximize comfort and traction while minimizing rolling resistance. Maybe 25mm/28mm though big tires on narrow rims have handling tradeoffs of their own... so 25/25 might be a safer bet.
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius wrote:
I have been enjoying the s-works turbo clincher, 24 front 26 rear at 90 psi with latex. Very nice ride quality and handling.

This is my current tire of choice as well. I picked up a pair of 24s and a pair of 26s when Specialized was doing the 2 for 1 sale. After running contis for a few years, I am really enjoying the feel of the Gripton compound.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The clearance on my road and TT frames won't allow anything greater than a 23mm Conti 4000S (mounted on wide rims measures 25mm)

+1...i have the P2 and purchased 2 - 25 conti 4000s II and they both dont fit! Glad we have ST classified so i traded them away.
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [baldiesrt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baldiesrt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

+1...i have the P2 and purchased 2 - 25 conti 4000s II and they both dont fit! Glad we have ST classified so i traded them away.

Where is the other one?? You only traded me one... LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had my road bike and its 23mm tires stolen, so for now if I want to ride a drop-bar bike then it's my cyclocross bike, which I put 25mm tires on because that's the smallest I now have. It's really been nice- grippy, comfortable, and just as fast (judging from my Strava segment times). I think 25's are great. I inflate them 95-100 psi.

Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more tire to add to the discussion. I have Michelin endurance 4s in 28c on my singlespeed and love them. Great puncture protection and comfortable on all Linda of terrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seven bikes and I race crits, roads and Ironmans.
I started using 25 front and back this year out of curiosity.
I have since changed ALL my road and tri bike tires to 25 / 25.
I should have done this 25 years ago.

Enough said.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started using 25mm front and back this year on my Shiv Tri. The roads here in central/west Texas are rough as hell chip seal roads. My workouts and races are so much better now that I have switched to 25 front and back. I havent done much on speed evaluation but I do know that I 'feel' better during rides and after rides because its just so much more comfortable. My speeds have actually improved this year but I cant specifically say that it is because of the tires. I also have pretty wide rims.

Of note, when I first switched to 25mm I was using tubeless IRC Roadlites and the ride was fantastic. Unfortunately, I had consecutive flats a week apart. One of which ruined the tire. The IRC's were too difficult and expensive and I just gave up on the whole tubeless experience all together. Now I run Vittoria Corsa Open Evo on latex and the ride is very very good but not quite as nice as the Tubeless experience. You might consider the tubeless and have better luck than I.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
baldiesrt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Where is the other one?? You only traded me one... LOL.

Haha...i traded the other to a friend of mine (he just wanted 1 for his front). Thanks for saving my a$$ :)
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, didn't want to hit him over the head with it;)

I don't think too many people actually "read" posts before they reply with the ST mumbo jumbo. In a couple more replies we will have him running a 808/404 combo with Conti Supersonics, and latex tubes on the rolling couch roubaix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run 25mm GP4000S tires on my road bike, a BMC SLR01. They just barely fit but I love them. I am a much more confident descender on the 25's than I was on the 23's. They really feel like they stick well in the corners.

When I say barely fit I mean that when I run over small things that stick to the tire I hear them hitting the underside of the fork. One time I climbed a very steep (20%+) road in my area and used a lot of brakes on the descent. Then when riding on the flats I heard a rubbing. My from wheel is slightly out of round it appears and the heating from the braking was enough to expand the tire enough to rub.

On the other hand on my wife's Roubaix there is TON's of room for the big tires. I think 28's would fit pretty easily also.

I put the 25's on my 404 FC clincher road racing wheels for a while. When I put them in my Shiv the rear wheel fit, but the front did not. Not enough clearance.

Long story short, for training wheels on your road bike you absolutely should try the 25's front and rear. Who gives a shit about whether it's aero or not? The ride is much better.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate everyone's fantastic feedback. What I take from all this is that it makes sense to put 25mm Conti GP4000S on my narrow wheels when I have to replace my current 23mm tires, on my decidedly non-aero Roubaix. The tires will be a little heavier and a touch less aero, but also have lower rolling resistance and be more comfortable. There are clearly some other good tires out there, but I've been very happy with the Contis in the past, and they seem to be very popular here and elsewhere, so my inclination is to stick them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

+1...i have the P2 and purchased 2 - 25 conti 4000s II and they both dont fit! Glad we have ST classified so i traded them away.[/quote]

I was planning on installing 25mm tires on my 2015 P2....guess I might have to reconsider.
Quote Reply
Re: switch from 23 to 25mm tires? [jagerbombster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My p2 is a 2010 so i would check with cervelo manual to confirm. You might be able to mount them :). My friend has a p2 from 2013 and it didnt fit the back at all even with the drop out screws all turned out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 25mm Conti tires on my 2013 P2. I believe the only difference between the 2013 and 2010 P2 are the colors. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next