Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimming with sleeved tri top
Quote | Reply
Looking to invest in a new kit this year working towards my first IM (Chattanooga) which by all accounts will be a non-wetsuit swim. I prefer a two-piece kit and to date have raced sleeveless. Considering getting a sleeved top but wanted to hear some opinions on how sleeved tops are to swim in (searched but couldn't find much - if I missed a thread please point me in the right direction). I'll be using a sleeveless swim skin that I have. Are the sleeved tops constricting? Anyone have experience swimming in the sleeved tops from LG (Course M-2), Kiwami (spider), or Desoto (skin cooler or riviera)? Thanks!

John
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [2pyrfam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many references to sleeves on the swim, most say there is no restriction, but ymmv. I have a Castilli sleeved and never gave me issue under a suit...never swam in just the kit, though I will have to at Worlds in sept. Chatty is a fun race, great city. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want the aero advantage of sleeves, your sleeves need to be tight. If your sleeves are tight, they will restrict your swim.

I roll my PI suit down and cover the sleeves with body glide. It slides on nicely from swim exit to bike.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear another vote for Chatty as a fun race - looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a good solution but if I stick w/a 2-piece I won't be able to do that. Sounding like I may just need to get one and try it out to see how it feels on me. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2pyrfam wrote:
Looking to invest in a new kit this year working towards my first IM (Chattanooga) which by all accounts will be a non-wetsuit swim. I prefer a two-piece kit and to date have raced sleeveless. Considering getting a sleeved top but wanted to hear some opinions on how sleeved tops are to swim in (searched but couldn't find much - if I missed a thread please point me in the right direction). I'll be using a sleeveless swim skin that I have. Are the sleeved tops constricting? Anyone have experience swimming in the sleeved tops from LG (Course M-2), Kiwami (spider), or Desoto (skin cooler or riviera)? Thanks!

John

I have the M2 and the Spyder. Both are fine under a wetsuit. Tight on the arms does not mean inflexible.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

I've got the new Fusion SLi speedsuit and it's tight to the point of mild compression, but strangely very flexible swimming in.

In fact I just tested it vs my swimskin and it came out equal or 1sec/100m faster. Seems their new material is more hydro and water wicking and much lighter so for me it now replaces the need for a swimskin.

Anyone shopping for a new Race suit I'd recommend they check out Fusions SLi kit in part of their considerations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim with two piece sleeved Desoto tri-kit under my wetsuit without any issue. Heck, one can even purchase sleeved swimming pool tops and practice such a setup during your indoor pool swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2pyrfam wrote:

John

I am going back to racing in a one piece non-sleeves. Although this time rear zip.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone - appreciate the input/suggestions! Will check out the Fusion. Good to know the ones I'm considering will work well too.

Thomas - curious as to why you are going back to one piece sleeveless. Convenience? Comfort? Testing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be absolutely certain to check out Kiwami too. The new colors and materials are amazing, and sleeve or no sleeve. Although I prefer 1 piece, the new aero 2 piece are really nice and sleeves are no issue to swim in if you so desire. The 1 piece is only connected at the back, so is somewhat a "hybrid". The Spider is the only suit I know that has extra compression on the legs which feels awesome to me during the late stages of races when legs are fading. Just my opinion, but after looking at most of the others, Kiwami is a big step ahead.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2pyrfam wrote:
Thanks everyone - appreciate the input/suggestions! Will check out the Fusion. Good to know the ones I'm considering will work well too.

Thomas - curious as to why you are going back to one piece sleeveless. Convenience? Comfort? Testing?

Testing both swim and bike. I also think a lot of people who test fast in a sleeved suit on the bike, many pros have not, also need to go back and test the suit 3 month later after use. I do think these suits stretch and become unaero. I knew after testing a specific piece on Wednesday when Brian came out of the control room that something was up. He wasn't talking. Almost like not to bias me for the next suit that we were testing next. But regardless the suit that test fast was also new and tight.

To some degree I think suits are going to be like chains. Limited lifespan. Which is why I brought up the UglyFrog suit last month that is $48 for sleeved. If it tests fast, who cares if it only lasts 3 races. 3 races might be what all these suits last anyway before they start to loose their aeroness. I have data coming out and some point but I am well behind on stuff.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats the chamois like on that UglyFrog suit?
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [DVM_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DVM_Tri wrote:
Whats the chamois like on that UglyFrog suit?

No idea, I didn't pick one up because I didn't know if I would be at a SHIPTO address by the time it arrived. I was going to circle back around on this thread though and see what others said. Sounds like a few people had picked them up and may have more feedback now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga will be my first full distance IM. wasn't the first year of it wetsuit legal? We can hope again but doubtful. We can at least hope it's not as hot as last year
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with sleeved tri top [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it boggles the mind that this needs to be said again and again

I was at a local tri today and *everybody* had their sleeves on, but then again they were all bottom of the barrel fabrics/cuts/brands

Elitist Jerk wrote:
If you want the aero advantage of sleeves, your sleeves need to be tight. If your sleeves are tight, they will restrict your swim.

I roll my PI suit down and cover the sleeves with body glide. It slides on nicely from swim exit to bike.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply