Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimming is fun
Quote | Reply
Really.

I'm just coming back to Tri after an extended time off. Swimming was the part I disliked... always straining, never comfortable, gasping for air after 100s or even 50s, and seeking some magic trick to improve, etc. Seemingly always stuck at 2:00-2:15/100, including rests.

So, I decided to start over, relax, and to embrace sucking and swimming slowly, doing my best to ignore the granny in the next lane over effortlessly passing me. Oh, and I dedicated to swimming non-stop at a low intensity for 20ish minutes each time.

A funny thing actually happened... after soldiering through those first few difficult continuous swims, it did get easier. I wasn't in survival mode anymore and could actually focus on what my stroke was doing.

Everyone is obviously different, but here's what works for me: a relaxed 2-beat kick and breathing favorite side, including a length of opposite side breathing every 2.5 min. I got some stroke feedback and was told my alignment and kick was OK but that I was dropping my breathing side elbow too much. Now I try to shrug that shoulder to my cheek to start each pull on that side which seems to be helping.

Fast forward a couple months. I suspected I was getting faster purely based on feel and comparing with other swimmers. A lap counter verified that I've been holding 25ish laps (1250 yds) per 20 mins. All open turns since trying to flip turn aggravates my low back. Not spectacular, but a far cry from where I was before. And, it actually feels easy and enjoyable.

Next step is to add volume, since 2-3 x 20 min per week is too minimal. I plan to increase that to 3-4 swim workouts per week, gradually increasing the duration of each. No plans for drills or accessories any time soon. I always run to/from the pool since I live and work a couple miles away, a great way to get in more run mileage.

I realize this is probably basic stuff, but thought I'd share anyways. I'm pretty stoked about swimming right now! :)
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is fun [Laflore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laflore wrote:
Really. I'm just coming back to Tri after an extended time off. Swimming was the part I disliked... always straining, never comfortable, gasping for air after 100s or even 50s, and seeking some magic trick to improve, etc. Seemingly always stuck at 2:00-2:15/100, including rests.
So, I decided to start over, relax, and to embrace sucking and swimming slowly, doing my best to ignore the granny in the next lane over effortlessly passing me. Oh, and I dedicated to swimming non-stop at a low intensity for 20ish minutes each time.

A funny thing actually happened... after soldiering through those first few difficult continuous swims, it did get easier. I wasn't in survival mode anymore and could actually focus on what my stroke was doing.
Everyone is obviously different, but here's what works for me: a relaxed 2-beat kick and breathing favorite side, including a length of opposite side breathing every 2.5 min. I got some stroke feedback and was told my alignment and kick was OK but that I was dropping my breathing side elbow too much. Now I try to shrug that shoulder to my cheek to start each pull on that side which seems to be helping.
Fast forward a couple months. I suspected I was getting faster purely based on feel and comparing with other swimmers. A lap counter verified that I've been holding 25ish laps (1250 yds) per 20 mins. All open turns since trying to flip turn aggravates my low back. Not spectacular, but a far cry from where I was before. And, it actually feels easy and enjoyable.
Next step is to add volume, since 2-3 x 20 min per week is too minimal. I plan to increase that to 3-4 swim workouts per week, gradually increasing the duration of each. No plans for drills or accessories any time soon. I always run to/from the pool since I live and work a couple miles away, a great way to get in more run mileage.
I realize this is probably basic stuff, but thought I'd share anyways. I'm pretty stoked about swimming right now! :)

Laflore - Congrats on your excellent progress!!! Your 1250 yd in 20:00 implies 16:00/1000 yd or 1:36/100, which is quite good compared to your previous 2:00-2:15, espec on 2 or 3 20 min swims each week!!! Keep up the good work and you'll be doing 13:XX for the 1000 before you know it. I hope that many other AOS will read of your success and will be inspired to work more on their swimming. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply