Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swim cap to fit rather large head
Quote | Reply
My head is on the large side (24" crown circumference). Unisex swim caps can be pretty excruciating, and even the sized XL and L-sized ones I've tried are painfully tight. Anyone found large-size caps that work well? Two sized caps I've tried that were still too small are the Speedo Aqua V size large and the the Speedo Stretch Fit Size Large/X-Large.

"That's what she said" jokes are fine, but also hoping for advice!
Quote Reply
Re: swim cap to fit rather large head [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
My head is on the large side (24" crown circumference). Unisex swim caps can be pretty excruciating, and even the sized XL and L-sized ones I've tried are painfully tight. Anyone found large-size caps that work well? Two sized caps I've tried that were still too small are the Speedo Aqua V size large and the the Speedo Stretch Fit Size Large/X-Large.

I feel sorry for your mother....

No real advice, sorry. Latex caps usually stretch out after a bit, they are always ridiculously tight on me when I first put on a new one, and over time they get better.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:

Maybe try the Speedo long-hair caps? I use one of those, even though I don't particularly have long hair, because the regular ones were popping off my head.
Quote Reply
Re: swim cap to fit rather large head [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Maybe try the Speedo long-hair caps? I use one of those, even though I don't particularly have long hair, because the regular ones were popping off my head.

I thought about that, but I figured the crown circumference was presumably the same, just with a deeper cap to make room for long hair. And crown circumference is where super tight caps are painful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9hYTJaX4Xw

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Erin C. wrote:
niccolo wrote:

I thought about that, but I figured the crown circumference was presumably the same, just with a deeper cap to make room for long hair. And crown circumference is where super tight caps are painful.

The Speedo ones, at least, just seem a little wider all the way around -- some of the other brands of long hair caps have a weird bulb shape at the back presumably to accommodate the hair, but the Speedo doesn't.
Quote Reply
Re: swim cap to fit rather large head [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's odd, I've done quite a bit of searching around the interwebs, and I'm not finding caps that actually seem to fit very large heads. Those large and x-large speedo caps mentioned above seemed like the closest thing, but I'm not the only person who still found them painfully tight. It seems unlikely that single-size long hair caps would be larger than these specialized larger-sized models, so that doesn't seem like a promising solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Aqua V is cut quite small (I need the L/XL, and I wear a medium helmet, so not a big head....at least physically). As a PP said go with a latex cap. I can stretch one of those over my road helmet (to block the vents in the winter).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: swim cap to fit rather large head [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The Aqua V is cut quite small (I need the L/XL, and I wear a medium helmet, so not a big head....at least physically). As a PP said go with a latex cap. I can stretch one of those over my road helmet (to block the vents in the winter).

I have a few unisex latex caps from races and such, I can get them over my head, but, given how large it is, definitely a bit painful. I don't mind doing that for races, but for regular use, I'm really hoping to find something larger. Seems bizarre that no one would fill this niche!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because male swimmers that don't like the fit cut their hair ...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you the kid featured in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8Rc98Xs20

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I have the same sized head, and other than races, I don't wear a swim cap, as they are just to tight! Also, can't wear anything other than Headsweats Supervisor, and even that gives me a headache, so no running hats or 'one size fits most' visors or hats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe try keeping it stretched on a basketball when you're not using it to stretch it out a bit?

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: swim cap to fit rather large head [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
I feel your pain. I have the same sized head, and other than races, I don't wear a swim cap, as they are just to tight! Also, can't wear anything other than Headsweats Supervisor, and even that gives me a headache, so no running hats or 'one size fits most' visors or hats.

I find that adjustable hats just work for me at close to their largest settings. Some large or XL bike and ski helmets work, too. So I'm guessing you're cursed with an even larger noggin' than I.

Still seems odd that no one would produce a swim cap for those with larger heads, and while we're at one end of the distribution, we're not way out in the tail, I definitely know people with bigger heads.
Last edited by: niccolo: Jul 1, 15 22:23
Quote Reply
Re: swim cap to fit rather large head [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old thread, I know, but I recently got a Synergy swimcap along with my new wetsuit, and it is a lot bigger in every direction and more stretchy than any of my other swimcaps. Which is perfect for me. Not that I have an unusually large head, but I can fit all my hair into it AND pull it well down under my ears so I no longer need ear plugs. Maybe give it a go?
Last edited by: IronMazzy: Apr 24, 17 7:58
Quote Reply