Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

suggestion for economical 2nd training bike
Quote | Reply
    I finally have reached a point where I am thinking I can fund a second bike for riding with the "roadies". I will be most likely riding this bike once or twice a week. I am looking to spend in the $1200 to $2000 range. The rides will mostly be shorter high intensity rides, long rides will still be on the softride. The only real parameter I have is Shimano gear. I already own all their tools.

Thanx....Brian
Quote Reply
Re: suggestion for economical 2nd training bike [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economical? Up to two big G's! When I saw your title, i thought you'd suggest something like "at most $500" or something.

Your price range is, basically, Ultegra-Land. Depending of frame quality, of course. Supergo-branded stuff starts at $995 (base 7000-grade Al frame). The '02 Prodigy is about in the middle of your price range. If you want lugged steel, there's the cheap'o Tommasini Sintesi that Colorado Cyclist has been selling for years.

An Ultegra kit (group + wheels, seat, ...) runs for about $900, right? it depends upon the "peripherals" (rims, tires, ...), but it's about right. So you can get a half decent frame set and still fit your budget. Also, when you buy a complete bike, the price is less than kit + frame.

Let's face it: above $2000 is, in a sense, luxury. I don't think you add any more functionality of durability when you go beyond that price. Of course, there's always the "weight" argument, but most people don't want to mention it when I'm in the audience.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: suggestion for economical 2nd training bike [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are so many combinations you could go with for up to $2K, but since you used the word "economical" I would have to suggest the Giant TCR - the aluminium frame version.

I've been riding a TCR as a replacement for the Trek 5500 that cracked on me, and after around 10,000 km. on it to my absolute joy I have found it's not a replacement for the Trek at all - it's an upgrade.

A TCR with Ultegra shouldn't cost you more than US$1500, if that.

For a great frame and good but somewhat lesser components my choice would be the Cervelo Soloist with Shimano 105 groupset. One thing I don't like about the TCR bikes is the "T-shirt sizing"; the Cervelo Soloists are also compact geometry but are available in far more sizes than the TCRs.

Let us know what you decide.

American's are definately infekting the world with there English grammer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yo buddy. before every body starts telling you how much they like their giant or trek let us step back for a second. behold -

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/mainframe.htm

dude, this is what you want. it is economical, as you requested, being made by the fabled waterford crew and lacking only clearcoat and options from those - arguably the most storied american bikes - ultra high end other bikes they produce. it is light, and strong, and will remain worthy and relevant until the end of time. no matter what dudes say about their oclv's or whatever riding so nice.... make no mistake this bike rides better. finally, or on a humourouss note, as a tri-head looking to go ride with the roadies perhaps you would like a little " cred" to go before you ! this bike will give youthat, it oozes coolness and savvy no nonsense road-wise credibility from every pore. did i mention this is what you want?
Last edited by: t-t-n: Mar 22, 03 4:04
Quote Reply
Re: suggestion for economical 2nd training bike [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooops. looks like you have to click on " models" and then go the" roadie". it will be worth it....................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One man's economical is anothers splurge but $1500-$2000 should get you a nice bike. If you don't mind mail order check out

http://www.gvhbikes.com

I've never used him but have seen only good things on other forums.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2002 Cervelo Prodigy @ Supergo is a sweet ride @ $1400 for a ultegra bike.
Quote Reply
Re: suggestion for economical 2nd training bike [mtndrive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the Cervelo Prodigy is a sweet ride. Period. At $1400, it's a steal.
Quote Reply
Re: suggestion for economical 2nd training bike [Michael Bey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i will agree with the above posters that the 1400 bone ultegra/ritchey closeout prodigy is a sick deal on a very worthy bike. if $ was a factor and i was bike shoping i would move on this fast. best deal i have seen in a while. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, this is an excellent price on a great bike. I have one and love the ride.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the Cervelo Prodigy is a sweet ride"

I say ditto to this. A Cervelo Prodigy would be my first choice if I was in the market for a new bike. I don't care what anyone says, you just can't beat the ride of steel. That's why I'll always keep my 1986 Miele, which I'm upgrading to new running gear this year.

I would also strongly suggest looking at the Giant TCR's. I was initially very skeptical of aluminium road bikes but was amazed how nice the TCR rides. The more expensive carbon version must be a dream.
Quote Reply
Re: suggestion for economical 2nd training bike [mtndrive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of Supergo bargain bikes, does anyone know anything about these Scattante models they sell? They list a carbon frame frame bike with Ultegra for $1495, which could be a great deal depending on the underlying quality. Multiple search on the net come up empty, so I wonder what the story is.

Brent
Quote Reply