Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

strength (or lack thereof)
Quote | Reply
I am hoping for some insights on/experience with strength training. In a former life (pre-kid) I had a lot of lean muscle mass and could get away with minimum strength training. It has become very apparent that I am now in the camp that requires considerable strength training. My muscular endurance is far inferior to my cardiovascular endurance, and I have been plagued by injury this year. I did poorly during a recent half and have withdrawn from an upcoming Ironman and replaced the race with another half. While I am under no illusion that I am going to do well in the half in 7 weeks, I would like to add some strength training over the coming weeks to see how it helps. I plan to make considerable off-season changes, but for the immediate future, does anyone have any suggestions for programs or resources or insights from their own experience? Thanks very much!
Quote Reply
Re: strength (or lack thereof) [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just from my own experience as a 43 y.o. male road cyclist.

I've had tremendous success this year in races, and the only thing I've done really differently is adding strength training. So I'm a believer, at least this year. My strength training has been combination of "core/stability" type things with TRX stuff, balls, etc, along with power stuff like pushing sleds, squats, and deadlifts.

Only one hour 1-2x per week, so it doesn't invade very far into "real training."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlenorm wrote:
I am hoping for some insights on/experience with strength training. In a former life (pre-kid) I had a lot of lean muscle mass and could get away with minimum strength training. It has become very apparent that I am now in the camp that requires considerable strength training. My muscular endurance is far inferior to my cardiovascular endurance, and I have been plagued by injury this year. I did poorly during a recent half and have withdrawn from an upcoming Ironman and replaced the race with another half. While I am under no illusion that I am going to do well in the half in 7 weeks, I would like to add some strength training over the coming weeks to see how it helps. I plan to make considerable off-season changes, but for the immediate future, does anyone have any suggestions for programs or resources or insights from their own experience? Thanks very much!

I suspect that your recent poor performance was not a result of a lack of strength.

I suspect that it's simply your aerobic fitness that is "inferior" and would suggest you focus on aerobic training over the next 7 weeks.

An old but good thread on "muscular endurance":
http://forumdev.slowtwitch.com/...ost=1195055#p1195055

If you are interested in including strength training to improve triathlon performance, Yann Le Meur does a good job with his infographics:
http://ylmsportscience.blogspot.ca/search?q=strength
Quote Reply
Re: strength (or lack thereof) [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspected it was strength because I have been doing aerobic training under the guidance of a coach for the last year. I've still managed to come to race season feeling less ready than in previous years (still post-kid years) and injured. Perhaps the volume was just too much or I wasn't really in the aerobic zone. I will read both of the links you included. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is an aerobic sport.

All of us (you, me, Frodeno and Jorgensen) are limited by our aerobic capacity and not our strength.

My previous link to the "muscular endurance" thread should also further simplify things for you.

As I also mentioned, you can improve triathlon performance via strength training however for the overwhelming majority of triathletes this time would be better spent on aerobic training.

Good luck with your training and racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlenorm wrote:
My muscular endurance is far inferior to my cardiovascular endurance,

Norm,

Just to help clarify things, exactly what are you seeing that makes you think this is so?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: strength (or lack thereof) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hugh, I feel as though I could go for hours and hours at a slow, easy pace but have little power to pick it up. I also see poor form setting in during the run well before I feel fatigued (recognizing the poor form is a sign of fatigue). I have also been battling injury this season despite nearly a year of low intensity (I thought aerobic) training. I've been working with a coach and diligent about my workouts and prescribed heart rate zones. Despite this, I am performing poorly and injured. I guess I also just don't feel strong. Perhaps I am grasping at straws?

I appreciate everyone's input (and will read the links from Bill now).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlenorm wrote:
I suspected it was strength because I have been doing aerobic training under the guidance of a coach for the last year. I've still managed to come to race season feeling less ready than in previous years (still post-kid years) and injured. Perhaps the volume was just too much or I wasn't really in the aerobic zone. I will read both of the links you included. Thank you!

So you hired a coach and got slower. Seems like the coach is the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today at work we tested a 50-something year old woman suffering from a muscular dystrophy. Her leg strength was perhaps half of normal...more on par with that of an 80 y old woman. As a consequence, she didn't do all that well on, e.g., a simple chair stand test. OTOH, she did better than average on her 6 min walk test, presumably as a result of the aerobics classes she only recently had to give up.

Moral of the story: when it comes to endurance exercise, strength is highly overrated.
Quote Reply