Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

stores/companies that allow a wetsuit trial swim
Quote | Reply
I'm back in the market for a wetsuit after realizing my fit issues with the DeSoto T1 (severe chafing all around the neck) make it a no-go for me. (As an aside, Emilio and Tracy were exceptionally helpful, which makes me even more bummed I couldn't make their suit fit.) The experience made me realize that the ability to take a wetsuit for a trial swim, and exchange it for a different size or model, is crucial for me.

I know Xterra has a generous 30-day swim and exchange or even return policy, similar to DeSoto. I understand Roka offers a similar policy for suits purchased directly from them. And trisports.com offers a one-swim policy (oddly, they insist this should be in a pool, while most wetsuit companies warn suits should never be exposed to chlorine), which appears to cover exchanges and as best I can tell, also returns, and the upside there is a broad selection of suits and sales that are less likely to be available from manufacturers (I'm not counting Xterra's perma-sales). Anywhere else that should be on my radar? There are no brick-and-morter retailers within reasonable driving distance from me.

I hesitate to ask for specific wetsuit recommendations, because it's so subjective and people tend to recommend what they own. At this point, I'm leaning toward either something mid-range from trisports, which allows for exchanges as needed, or just something mid-range from Xterra, I rented one there for a race and it fit fine, but their marketing (huge markup plus permanent deep "sales") rubbed me a bit wrong.
Last edited by: niccolo: Jul 12, 15 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: stores/companies that allow a wetsuit trial swim [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're in the los angeles area, i'm pretty sure that triathlon lab in redondo beach has the policy you're after.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
I'm back in the market for a wetsuit after realizing my fit issues with the DeSoto T1 (severe chafing all around the neck) make it a no-go for me. (As an aside, Emilio and Tracy were exceptionally helpful, which makes me even more bummed I couldn't make their suit fit.) The experience made me realize that the ability to take a wetsuit for a trial swim, and exchange it for a different size or model, is crucial for me.

I know Xterra has a generous 30-day swim and exchange or even return policy, similar to DeSoto. I understand Roka offers a similar policy for suits purchased directly from them. And trisports.com offers a one-swim policy (oddly, they insist this should be in a pool, while most wetsuit companies warn suits should never be exposed to chlorine), which appears to cover exchanges and as best I can tell, also returns, and the upside there is a broad selection of suits and sales that are less likely to be available from manufacturers (I'm not counting Xterra's perma-sales). Anywhere else that should be on my radar? There are no brick-and-morter retailers within reasonable driving distance from me.

I hesitate to ask for specific wetsuit recommendations, because it's so subjective and people tend to recommend what they own. At this point, I'm leaning toward either something mid-range from trisports, which allows for exchanges as needed, or just something mid-range from Xterra, I rented one there for a race and it fit fine, but their marketing (huge markup plus permanent deep "sales") rubbed me a bit wrong.

Add wetsuitoutlet.com to the list of companies that allow trial swims, actually allows a 30-day swim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of hate the "what wetsuit should I buy" threads, because people just recommend whatever they use, and let's be honest, it's mostly about fit, which is a tough thing to generalize about on here.

But I find myself with my second tri coming up, and without a wetsuit, and I'm undecided. I don't live in an area where I can try on suits in person, at least minus a big drive. So I figure I should order from somewhere with a great return/exchange policy. I've tried a bunch of suits, so I have some idea of what fits or doesn't.

- DeSoto First Wave size 4 top and bottom shredded my neck all the way around, otherwise fit well. Two months later, I'm starting to wonder whether I'll bear a "did somebody garrote you?" neck scar for life.

- Xterra Vortex and Vector Pro ML fit pretty well, right size for chest/shoulders, could perhaps be a tad snugger in waist/legs. Perma-sales have been a bit less generous the past month or so.

- Orca Alpha (older) Size 8 seems to have an oddly short torso (and I don't have a proportionally long torso), otherwise fine.

- Tyr Hurricane Category 5 (older) M fits fairly well but a bit too snug through shoulders and chest.

I swim in chilly Pacific waters, need significant thickness. I can use flotation, especially in the legs, only a moderately strong swimmer and my kick is pretty pathetic (working on it in the pool). I think I have a fairly classic swimmer's build, fairly broad through the chest and shoulders, slim waist, slim legs (think Emilio DeSoto through the chest/shoulders but tapering to a more girlish waist, and with pretty skinny legs :). Though I was willing to shell out a lot for the DeSoto, I'd rather spend only a few hundred bucks. I'd love to get a good deal for that, e.g. a 2015 or 2014 model on good sale. Return/exchange policy after a swim is a must.

Anyone have any suggestions that should be on my radar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill just say this. Be VERY cautious of the "sales" at Xterra. They will try and claim that certain sales are final and not eligible for their 30 day return policy, even though their checkout page and printed receipt still state the 30 day trial and return policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAving done some extensive research and work with wet suits, many manufacturers will admit and have admitted that their top of the line bells and whistle suit isn't always/almost always their faster suit. Some of those fancy features like catch panels have been notorious for slowing the suit down. You are often better off/faster getting a mid line suit vs top of the line.

I think trisports.com wants you in a pool so you don't pee in the suit.

fwi

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
several of the larger online retailers offer wetsuit rentals. you might even find the rental fee will go towards the purchase price if you decide to buy a suit.
Quote Reply
Re: stores/companies that allow a wetsuit trial swim [kevcogroup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bit the bullet on a Roka Maverick Elite, and a bunch of other swim-related stuff, during the current 25% off sale. Fingers crossed it fits well! Other than fit, I'm also wondering how warmth will be given the very thin material used on most of the upper and the fact that the design somehow is supposed to be even cooler than the neoprene thickness would suggest (to keep triathletes in warmer waters from overheating). I swim in pretty chilly central California coast waters, currently a balmy 60 degrees but as chilly as high-40s at times, so warmth does matter!
Quote Reply
Re: stores/companies that allow a wetsuit trial swim [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think trisports.com wants you in a pool so you don't pee in the suit.

That's ridiculous and assumes you don't pee in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact Aquaman and see. I know Emmanuel is quite generous with trials, and often has demo or used suits. I say this as you mentioned cold water. I have to say that my metal cell cold is such a warm suit that I have to go to my backup suit now that our waters are warmer. I have always benn delighted with my Aquaman suits and feel they stand up well too. As others say, fit is imperative and a trial is a given. Good luck.
Quote Reply