Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

steve tarpinian -
Quote | Reply
Heard that Steve passed away yesterday! Anyone up in the New York area have any information on this? Z
Quote Reply
Re: steve tarpinian - [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom, Very, very upsetting news. Always there to chat at races/the pool. I saw on Facebook it happened Sedona, AZ. Once more info is available I will let you know.

"A challenging journey is not without risks. Often we feel we can go no further, we can do no more, and that one more step is impossible. In that one moment we face the abyss, the ultimate challenge of mind, body, and spirit and discover an inner strength we never new existed and in a glorious revelation realize that our lives have changed forever."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I heard through the tri grapevine about Steve this afternoon.

Great guy. Great athlete. He made swimming fun, with his passion and enthusiasm for swimming!

RIP

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: steve tarpinian - [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve also put on some great triathlons in the New York area as a race director! He started and finished the first 10 IRONMAN Lake Placid events! Sad to hear that he has passed away!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, one of the few really interesting USAT coaching instructors. I really respected his methodology. Very straight forward guy.
Quote Reply
Re: steve tarpinian - [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad & my sympathies to his family. Met him years ago & ran into him at so many races, LP, Hawaii, always willing to strike up a conversation and spew information from such a well laid out point of view, be it anything triathlon or other interests. His vast wealth of knowledge an kindness will be missed by all.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Mar 18, 15 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad to hear.

He was pretty young, any info on cause of death?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: steve tarpinian - [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to read between the lines on the front page article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stunned by this news....read several of his books and articles and watched his videos as I attempted to have some sort of technique in the water....

Wow...very sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the nicest guys you could ever meet, we lost a good one, really bummed.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Very sad to hear.

He was pretty young, any info on cause of death?

I wondered this too. How old was Steve?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For those of you who knew Steve and are in the NY area there will be a Memorial
this Saturday, March 21, 2015, at 10:30AM at Our Lady of the Isle Church, 5 Prospect Avenue, Shelter Island Heights 11965

http://www.TOUGHMANTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad. I will say this there is no doubt in my mind there is a connection between chronic endurance and depression. Not in all cases but there is an effect for sure. Local to me we recently lost an absolute athletic stud cyclist to a similar circumstance.

I don't want to turn this thread into that discussion but it's worthy of attention.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: steve tarpinian - [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is not much basis to what you're saying. Actually physical activity is used and known to be very useful to help people who struggle with depression.

It's a sad day. I didn't know Steve personally, but through friends, and everyone was super positive about him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
Very sad. I will say this there is no doubt in my mind there is a connection between chronic endurance and depression. Not in all cases but there is an effect for sure. Local to me we recently lost an absolute athletic stud cyclist to a similar circumstance.

I don't want to turn this thread into that discussion but it's worthy of attention.

There may be, but I think it's the other way around from what you're saying. I think that chronic endurance (training?) doesn't cause depression, but that folks who are prone to depression will seek to self-medicate in all sorts of ways, one of which can be endurance training/racing.
Quote Reply
Re: steve tarpinian - [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is more of what I was getting at. There is a correlation to some degree of people with depression self-medicating with chronic endurance.

Then possibly when there is a slowdown in endurance a decrease in endorphins or something thrown off in the brain chemistry things seem to go off of the rails very quickly. I realize this happens a lot in non-endurance athletes as well. But I guess it is just more shocking when it is someone who on the outside seems to be so happy and not only happy but thriving

I guess it is really just frustrating to people on the outside who are empathetic to these people's situation and their families' situation that there probably was minimal warning signs for them because the chronic endurance and someways covered up the symptoms.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more, and while I too don't want to hijack the memory of a great man, we shouldn't hide from the discussion of mental health, which is too often done in this country.

The brain chemistry issues raised in this thread are exactly why depression is a "disease" and not a "condition." and yes, it is possible to be situationally depressed and not have a disease, but have a condition. Therein lies the difficulty.

I have often seen this connection in others. there is the old adage, "the longer your event, the more you are running from..." what does that say about IM? How many top pros have you discovered to have major psych issues when you learned their entire story? EG: Chrissie grew up as a bulimic.

Yes, endurance athletes ARE endorphin junkies. Cut off the endorphins and it is no different than not receiving another daily drug.

Steve was a great man, fortunately for our community, he touched many of us in a way that will never be forgotten and his legacy will live on. To truly respect who he was as a person, aren't we required to bring front and center the conversation about the very condition that he and many others hide from the rest of the world?

I am sheepishly hoping someone else starts that thread... if not, I will get the courage sometime this weekend, but first, I need to go out and get my endorphins and think the happy thoughts that reading and watching Steve's books and videos brought to my heart.
Quote Reply
Re: steve tarpinian - [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:
I couldn't agree more, and while I too don't want to hijack the memory of a great man, we shouldn't hide from the discussion of mental health, which is too often done in this country.

The brain chemistry issues raised in this thread are exactly why depression is a "disease" and not a "condition." and yes, it is possible to be situationally depressed and not have a disease, but have a condition. Therein lies the difficulty.
I have often seen this connection in others. there is the old adage, "the longer your event, the more you are running from..." what does that say about IM? How many top pros have you discovered to have major psych issues when you learned their entire story? EG: Chrissie grew up as a bulimic.

Yes, endurance athletes ARE endorphin junkies. Cut off the endorphins and it is no different than not receiving another daily drug.
Steve was a great man, fortunately for our community, he touched many of us in a way that will never be forgotten and his legacy will live on. To truly respect who he was as a person, aren't we required to bring front and center the conversation about the very condition that he and many others hide from the rest of the world?

I am sheepishly hoping someone else starts that thread... if not, I will get the courage sometime this weekend, but first, I need to go out and get my endorphins and think the happy thoughts that reading and watching Steve's books and videos brought to my heart.

I've saved one of his swimming articles from the May 1997 Inside Triathlon for almost 18 yrs now. I thought it was highly instructive and quite diff from so many others I've read before or since b/c he pointed out that even Oly class swimmers don't do everything right. His case in point was Anders Holmertz, top Swedish swimmer for around 10 yrs or so from 1986 to '96. The 1996 oly games was his last major meet and Tarpinian called him out as being "one of the worst fish-tailers i've ever seen" due to his "little to no kick" and insufficient hip rotation. Yet Holmertz won silver and bronze in the 200/400 m free in three oly games, from '88 to '96, and went around 3:46 for 400 lcm free in '96 when the WR by Kieren Perkins was 3:43.80 and the guys were still swimming in basic Speedos. In sum, he pointed out that you can swim extremely fast even with a few flaws, which i thought was very informative:)

As for the depression business, ya, I don't even think about it much any more but suffice it to say that I've been self-medicating for quite awhile:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Sep 14, 16 20:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just learned about the passing of Steve today. I am stunned ,always so kind and generous to me .My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.
Quote Reply