Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

steep geometry bike in crits
Quote | Reply
oz tri-guy's post about his 1st crit experience got me thinking about my current setup.

OTG, I was hoping that were racing in a steep geometry bike. That way, I'd have a shining example of how it can work fine where the demands are high for fast handling and big power bursts. Oh well...

I've raced several crits + a TT in my 1st season of serious riding. I've been doing well for my goals, thanks in part to a good tri-fitting from reputable local fitter. But that's the thing, it was a fit partial to tri's. But I really like the steep angle for all riding disciplines. @ 73.5 deg. I always wanted to move to the nose of my saddle (can't be from a stem too long, can it?). Sorta like Ves, yes? My rough measurements & rusty trig. skills peg me at a virtual ~80 degrees ST angle on this bike (med): http://www.devinci.com/.../routeent/podium.htm

What am I giving up with such a steep setup for crits? As I dream of a new bike, I wonder if I can get a steep geometry bike for crits and not have it hold me back.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Last edited by: powergyoza: Sep 28, 03 22:24
Quote Reply
Re: steep geometry bike in crits [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was living in Japan I only had my tri bike at the time which was a cervelo eyre. I wanted to do some bike racing and club races so I tried using it..................I cranked the seat back, but still found the handling very uncooperative for crit racing.................Ive never crashed more than on that bike. I found the handling very twitchy............... Not sure if it was the angles that were the problem or the fact that I was riding 26 inch wheels and I'm 6 foot 2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

A while back my only bike was a QR Kilo Private Reserve (the yellow one with the fairing, steep geometry) which was awesome for TT'ing. I did some bunch riding with it and never really felt comfortable. I can't tell whether that was my skills or the geometry, but after a few group rides I started riding more and more by myself because that was where I was most comfortable. Now, with my beautiful Colnago (regular road geometry), I feel as though I could steer with my butt, and leaning into corners with bikes all around me is more like fun than a worry.

So in my very limited experience, I feel as though you would give up some handling. Of course, I could be completely wrong as I have very little crit racing experience and would not be surprised if I was completely off the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powerg. i am not sure that is what you would be proving. i started racing bikes in the late 70's and early 80's. in those days the modern "road" geometry was considered a " stage" geometry. in america, most racing bikes were using the faddish " crit" geometry, which was very steep, short in the rear triangle, and short/low in front ( sound familiar?). a 54 cm derosa or pinarello would have a 76 degree seatube, or possible steeper. that trend diied as guys thought the ride too battering for general use, with no real advantage to show for it - then in came lemond with a 72.5 degree seattube and his saddle shoved back and that was that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally when you go steep, you trade off overall comfort, stability and handling for comfort in the tri-bars, aerodynamics, and possibly a better run off-the-bike. Road bikes have been tuned to provide a comfortable ride over a variety of surfaces, and to track straight and true. They should steer predictably and with minimal input. Tri bikes on the other hand, are built to enable a rider to stay down in the aero bars. When properly fit, they should mimic the same arm and hip angles as does a road bike, but this often comes at the expense of steering and handling. The forward shift in rider weight makes this somewhat inevitable.

When you decide to take a bike that has been set up "steep" and race it in a crit, you are effectively placing yourself at a disadvantage from the start. Your tri bike will not handle as well (or predictably) as will a standard road bike, and your ability to "jump" and sprint out of the saddle may be compromised. When you remove the tri bars as the rules will undoubtedly dictate, the "perfect position" around which you built the bike has been lost. You are therefore riding a (some would say heavily) compromised rig in a situation which demands the most of your bike handling skills. To say that riding a tri bike in a crit is sub-optimal is a great understatement.

Having said all that, you only have one bike. Sub-optimal is better than nothing. So ride that thing, bro! Ride it hard and long. Sprint at the line and contend for whatever place you can get. When you're ready for a 2nd bike, consider buying a true tri bike and turn the deVinci back into the roadie it was born as. But for now, ride what you got. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: steep geometry bike in crits [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a bike that is legal to race, race it. People may make some odd remarks, but you get used to it. I race a cyclocross bike for everything and I always get comments.

The bike makes a small difference and you do not know what you will be missing.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply