Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1
Quote | Reply
I have been following the debate with much interest in my quest for a wetsuit that works for me

I have had the helix blue seventy and more recently the roka maverick

I was on the verge of buying a sleeveless as I found I was slowing doing significantly in the second half of my swims due to restriction in the shoulders - my open water swims were just miserable - at Kona, i had no such problems

I decided however to try the desoto t1 after swapping e mails with the owner Emilio

I tried it this week and its absolutely awesome - a real game changer for me, no restriction whatsoever and I literally feel like I have no wetsuit on such is the range of motion

Maybe others are already there with their fit but the so called wetsuit leaders just did not work for me

i am expecting big things (relatively for me) in my new 70.3

just thought i would share

cheers
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one wetsuit is the end all be all for everybody.

Fit is extremely important, and just because a size chart says one thing, doesn't mean that it is the perfect fit. A size chart is a guideline. Sometimes you will end up in a size that the size chart doesn't recommend.

Everybody is built different.

Aside from fit, adjustment of the suit is extremely important. If you don't pull the suit up enough, then it will restrict your movement.

Are you certain that you were slowing due to restriction? Or could it have been a combo of fatigue, going out too strong, and minimal restriction?

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed Jake, I appreciate it is not one size fits all

My "test" involved swimming an out and back to a buoy in my roka and T1 pretty hard

I was a minute quicker in my T1 which is impressive - my arms started to feel heavy and shoulders restricted in the roka (in which i swam first) at the turn around point

I don't like to trash Roka or anyone else for that matter - i have friends who love them and comparatively it was better than the blue seventy for me

i am just saying that for me, I cannot imagine a more flexible suit - i feel like i have my pool stroke whereas in other suits i swing more wider with a straighter arm and it tires me out

i am excited to race in it

cheers
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Aside from fit, adjustment of the suit is extremely important. If you don't pull the suit up enough, then it will restrict your movement.

jake

This.

Did a warm-up swim on Saturday before IMWI in my full sleeve. Had been debating going sleeveless because since getting my sleeveless, I felt faster.

Sure enough, my arms felt tired during my swim and was pretty sure I was gonna go sleeveless on Sunday. Then remembered something someone posted about pulling the neck open to let water in band pull the sleeves up further. Tried it and BINGO. Swimming much freer and with no arm fatigue.

Sunday had a better than expected swim and had no arm / shoulder fatigue coming into T1.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny - I was the opposite. Had my old T1 at IM Boulder. Swam the 750 meter course a bunch of times - some with vest - most with sleeved top - some with no wetsuit. Then demo'd a Roka and was a lot faster than my T1 with sleeves which was faster than T1 without sleeves which was faster than no wetsuit - Roka MUCH faster and felt like I was swimming more naturally in the Roka. 19th fastest swim with minimal swim training - in brand new Roka. Now - my T1 was fairly old - maybe 10 years - but that is my N=1 story. Shoulders felt fine in all of them.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto wetsuits are awesome.... I have a T1 sleeved and a speed vest, bibs and speed tube. That being said I have used a Roka Maverick all this summer and love the thinner material at the shoulders and overall flexibility. I love the ease of getting into and out of my Desoto gear but the Roka for me is slick as shit whilst swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After 8 years in the sport, Helix and Vector Pro X3, 29 HIM and 1:01 IM swimmer, I was getting destroyed with both suits, coming out exhausted from shoulder fatigue and whole upper body as a matter of fact, could never reach in front.....Tried T1 and felt awesome, no faster at all, just not exhausted from being restricted. Ended up having a good race at IMCDA. I was not looking for speed, but shoulder comfort and I found it with T1 as it does not pull down. It rises up when I reach as it has no hip attachment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
I have been following the debate with much interest in my quest for a wetsuit that works for me

I have had the helix blue seventy and more recently the roka maverick

I was on the verge of buying a sleeveless as I found I was slowing doing significantly in the second half of my swims due to restriction in the shoulders - my open water swims were just miserable - at Kona, i had no such problems

I decided however to try the desoto t1 after swapping e mails with the owner Emilio

I tried it this week and its absolutely awesome - a real game changer for me, no restriction whatsoever and I literally feel like I have no wetsuit on such is the range of motion

Maybe others are already there with their fit but the so called wetsuit leaders just did not work for me

i am expecting big things (relatively for me) in my new 70.3

just thought i would share

cheers

If I had to do it again I would have gone with the DeSoto, perhaps the Roka. I have a good wetsuit (Orca 3.8 Enduro) which does as advertised and is properly quick but if isn't just right I will burn up my shoulders. I like the idea of being able to convert from sleeved to sleeveless at will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY,

Can you please PM me or email me at support@rokasports.com so we can follow-up? I'm not sure we've ever heard of this kind of customer issue, so would like to learn more about your experience for the future.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [rokasports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a FYI -

Your people let me borrow and demo a roka at IM Boulder. I took it overnight, swam in it in the reservoir and returned it the next day. It felt so much better and swam so much faster then my old wetsuit, that I bought it. Wouldn't have done it if they did not let me test/demo it. Blue seventy wouldn't let me take one for a demo....but I gotta say that blue seventies orange lens goggles rock in low light open water swims.....but haven't tried the free goggles you guys make that came with my wetsuit. I've swam in several suits and I gotta say that swimming in my new roka feels more like swimming without a wetsuit than any suit I've worn. Best IM swim I've ever had (placing wise) and felt great. Stoked so thanks.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave,

Thanks so much for your candor and for the disclaimer that your T1 is over 10 years old. It sounds like you got your money's worth out of it. And yes, if you are in one of our new T1 Wetsuits made of GreenGoma™ Limestone Rubber technology, we firmly believe it will out perform that Roka. Also we offer a really nice Eco-Trade in Program for that old T1. Email me for details you will be glad you did.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Pat,

That ability to go from sleeved to sleeveless with such ease, both physically and financially, is an advantage that is unique to T1 Wetsuits by De Soto. Also remember we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and we are the only company that offers free lifetime repair and warranty policy. In other words, nobody who has ever bought a T1 Wetsuits has ever paid for a repair. We have also repaired many Roka wetsuits here, but we charge for those repairs.

If I can help you get properly sized, shoot me an email.

Emilio De Soto II
Last edited by: Emilio: Sep 13, 14 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, after quite a few emails inquiring about it, here it is:

T1 Wetsuit Eco Trade-in Program (Return, Receive, Recycle, Reuse, Repurpose, & Reduce)

RETURN your old T1 Wetsuit & RECEIVE a 30% discount on any new T1 Wetsuit or Wetsuits!

We will RECYCLE parts or REUSE the entire suit by donating it to someone less privileged or REPURPOSE by using parts for a custom wetsuit for challenged athletes, special projects, or for wetsuit repairs, and you will be REDUCING your environmental impact on landfills, and non-renewable resource consumption!

HOW IT WORKS
  1. Choose your wetsuit or wetsuits (yes you can buy as many pieces as you wish) by clicking below and enter coupon code SAVETHEPLANET at checkout.
  2. Then send us your old T1 wetsuit along with your newly placed order confirmation number.
  3. This is a piece by piece offer. So if you want a new top and bottom, then we want to get your old top and bottom. If you just want a new top, then we want your old top. Same with any new bottom.
  4. Upon receipt of your old T1 wetsuit, we will ship your new T1 wetsuit.
  5. This offer is only valid through December 31, 2014.
  6. We must receive your wetsuit within 21 days from your new order, or your order will automatically be cancelled.
  7. We are not responsible for any lost packages; we recommend you use a service that has a tracking number.
  8. We will accept the all models we have ever offered and sold including: T1 Original, T1 Dos, T1 Tres, T1 Black Pearl, T1 First Wave, T1 Water Rover, T1 Concept 5, T1 SpeedVest, T1 Speedtube, T1 Smart1, & T1 Espresso.

Emilio De Soto II
Last edited by: Emilio: Sep 13, 14 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio -

I was always happy with my T1 (I bought it from Monty back in 2004 - he actually trained me how to swim in open water when I was 10). My T1 served me well and I still like it. My sister bought a T1 because I liked mine - then my brother bought the pants (?speed tube)/long sleeved top for IM Boulder. I'd be happy to test a new T1 vs. my new Roka if you want to send me one. I'll do a lot of open water swimming this week as a prep for IM Tahoe. If it tests faster than my Roka, I'll buy it. If not, I'll send it back. I would have loved to demo more wetsuits but Roka was the only vendor at IM Boulder that let me. Would be nice if there were more wetsuit vendors at IMs/races where you could try on and swim in various suits.

Trade ins - I traded my old trusty Aleeda (with the cool short lycra sleeves - remember those?) to Monty when I got the T1. I still regret that as its nice to have extra wetsuits :). I liked that Aleeda. Good though to recycle them with your program for those who don't need extra suits. I'm in the water a lot and like having older wetsuits to wear at times.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take the ROKA off your hands! I borrowed one for 70.3 Worlds and was blown away by how awesome it felt. Too bad I can't afford one :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been wearing desoto wetsuits since before they had a zipper:) i love them and would never use anything else. you will not regret buying a desoto!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my desoto's, even my water rover that I still have. :o(

Will be wearing my T1 at IMLT 70.3 in a week.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2
Had desoto install a zipper in my original T1 top years ago. Still have it, but the new "Green" model is much more flexible. However, I use my speed tube and vest most often because I just like the feel of sleeveless... (Getting beaten on the swim by someone my age is not one of my worries)

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Re: sleeveless/full wetsuit debate - desoto T1 [tdstegner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i still my original top too:) i did not like the pants. i am a smaller woman and they just don't fit right, but my husband loves the speed tube pants and frequently just wears that.
Quote Reply