Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
should i be cheesed off at the place where I bought my bike in Mckinney, TX
Quote | Reply
So I just got into triathlon about a year ago and knew nothing about bikes except for how to ride one. Bought a road bike last July and then a tri bike from a lbs in October.

Anyway... during the fit I really felt folded up. I'm 6" 1 and at the time about 225. I told them I felt cramped and they told me I needed a longer stem which they happened to carry. Cool. So fast forward six months and I've done two sprints and was training for a fifty mile called Texasman. I had been riding the heck out of the bike and still felt cramped up.

So I went back cuz I needed a wetsuit and they promised a free tuneup. I mentioned to the guy I felt cramped. He said that the aero bars were too close and he moved them out. Felt a little better.

Did the texasman and then broke my collarbone training for Austin. Cool thing is it gave me plenty of time to learn about gear ratios and bicycle maintenance in general. So I went out and got a little torque wrench and ordered a new cassette and crankset and chain. Started doing some work on the bike and pulled off the stem because I wanted to lower it a little-move a couple of spacers from below the stem to on top etc. So I pulled out the old stem they took off when I bought the bike and it was a 110 mm. They put on a 90 mm with 25 degrees of rise. The one they took off was a 7 degree. Now I'm no math major but I'm pretty sure that 110 mm is longer than 90 mm. Also the fork always flapped back and forth anytime I picked the front wheel off the ground. I found out why. They never torqued down the top cap. Also the spacers where carbon then aluminum then carbon then aluminum.

So I kind of feel like they either didn't give a crap when they fit me or they didn't know how. I also feel like they sold me a stem because I had sucker written on my forehead. Also none of the bolts had lock tight on them. So I also feel like they didn't even put the bike together correctly. Also one of the aero arms was flat on one side because they torque down the arm rest clamp too hard.

Since I had the bike to them I've met some folks and coaches though dfw tri club and that place doesn't have the best reputation. So should I be cheesed off or not? I know, long story...
Last edited by: randymessman: Jul 23, 14 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you learned your lesson and learned how to fix your bike as well. If there is a lbs other than that one near you have them fit and adjust you and see what you find out. I say it's too late to waste energy on being mad at the old place. You learned a lesson. Move on and warn people if you hear they might get a bike from there and let them make their own decision. Now go ride!!!
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheesed off? never heard that phrase - where do you live?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Fort worth. Grew up in Nebraska but was in the Navy for 8 years. Think I picked it up from someone in the Navy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or they don't know what they are doing. Surprised they are still open
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Move your business to RBM. I've been going to the Campbell store for 10 years and they have always done a great job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eddie over at Bicycles Inc in Arlington is a great guy and very helpful...he will treat you right.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just have not heard a lot of good from Playtri, but they put on a lot of races and a lot of people with money go there to try out triathlon for a year or less... so they aren't going away.

Check out Tri Shop in plano... my favorite bike shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steer clear of Playtri, they are the WTC of the DFW tri community, and go to Tri Shop. If you need a good fit ask to talk to Ron Schmidt there.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

he lives in the early 1960s.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will agree that you should simply avoid Playtri at all costs. I would also steer clear of Bicycles inc and Knobbies and Slicks. Best prices are at RBM and they are fast with ordering and or dealing with issues. My personal favorite store is Bicycles Plus as they have some great service (always done a pro job) and seem to be able to order bikes in quickly. The other store to consider is the tri shop or plano cycling and fitness.

DFW Bullet points:

Avoid: Playtri, Bicycles Inc, knobbies and slicks (lots of stories on these shops)

Depends: Plano cycling and fitness

Always: RBM, Tri shop, bicycles plus
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 23, 14 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm bringing it back. Although I wasn't alive in the 1960's

pattersonpaul wrote:
tigerchik wrote:

he lives in the early 1960s.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
I will agree that you should simply avoid Playtri at all costs, not to mention the serious issues with their head coach (lets just say he might like to shorten the courses for himself:). I would also steer clear of Bicycles inc and Knobbies and Slicks. Best prices are at RBM and they are fast with ordering and or dealing with issues. My personal favorite store is Bicycles Plus as they have some great service (always done a pro job) and seem to be able to order bikes in quickly. The other store to consider is the tri shop or plano cycling and fitness.

DFW Bullet points:

Avoid: Playtri, Bicycles Inc, knobbies and slicks (lots of stories on these shops)

Depends: Plano cycling and fitness

Always: RBM, Tri shop, bicycles plus

Trishop I've been to. I did a lactate test there with a coach from dfw tri club. Been to knobbies and slicks but just to buy discounted tri stuff and chain lube. Where is RBM? I live in Keller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are going to be people out there with a negative experience from almost any store out there. There are some red flags that anyone at playtri probably should have caught. Checking torque specs is pretty basic. Not to mention when a bike comes in for a tune, the basic checklist (usually) includes a test ride. At least where I work it does. Not to mention most skilled mechanics tend to notice looseness in a bike when working on it, especially if it rattles.

In my advice you're most likely better suited to finding a local bike shop where you can build a better rapport with the staff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe TriShop and NT Dynamic Bike Fit, http://dynamicbikefit.com/ have the only 2 Master Certifed Retul fitters in Dallas.

I have had at least 4 fittings from Craig over the year at NT Dynamic.

I have only checked out TriShop a few times (long ways from downtown D) but i really like their service and i know one of their coaches.

BikeMart Dallas store (aka RBM) for me has the best service dept bar none. I have bought numerous bike from them and there svc dept does alot of free work for me now and
will help me with anything i need.

I think of all the teams out there PlayTri seems to get the most angst, but that likely deserves another thread on race *tactics* we have heard they teach.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [TKO15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TKO15 wrote:
There are going to be people out there with a negative experience from almost any store out there. There are some red flags that anyone at playtri probably should have caught. Checking torque specs is pretty basic. Not to mention when a bike comes in for a tune, the basic checklist (usually) includes a test ride. At least where I work it does. Not to mention most skilled mechanics tend to notice looseness in a bike when working on it, especially if it rattles.

In my advice you're most likely better suited to finding a local bike shop where you can build a better rapport with the staff.

I like the really high tech approach of holding the bike by the bars, holding the front brake and rocking it forward and back. If there's free play, the headset is too loose.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you live in Keller go to Bicycles Inc in Southlake and ask for Rick. He's the general manager and just an overall good guy - he's been taking care of me for over 10 years and has become a good friend. He's not going to sell you something you don't need, and he could definitely help you adjust your fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randymessman wrote:
So I just got into triathlon about a year ago and knew nothing about bikes except for how to ride one. Bought a road bike last July and then a tri bike from Playtri in October. They say they're the largest triathlon store in the world and they carried Quintana Roo bikes which I still think are awesome.

Anyway... during the fit I really felt folded up. I'm 6" 1 and at the time about 225. I told them I felt cramped and they told me I needed a longer stem which they happened to carry. Cool. So fast forward six months and I've done two sprints and was training for a fifty mile called Texasman. I had been riding the heck out of the bike and still felt cramped up.

So I went back to Playtri cuz I needed a wetsuit and they promised a free tuneup. I mentioned to the guy I felt cramped. He said that the aero bars were too close and he moved them out. Felt a little better.

Did the texasman and then broke my collarbone training for Austin. Cool thing is it gave me plenty of time to learn about gear ratios and bicycle maintenance in general. So I went out and got a little torque wrench and ordered a new cassette and crankset and chain. Started doing some work on the bike and pulled off the stem because I wanted to lower it a little-move a couple of spacers from below the stem to on top etc. So I pulled out the old stem they took off when I bought the bike and it was a 110 mm. They put on a 90 mm with 25 degrees of rise. The one they took off was a 7 degree. Now I'm no math major but I'm pretty sure that 110 mm is longer than 90 mm. Also the fork always flapped back and forth anytime I picked the front wheel off the ground. I found out why. They never torqued down the top cap. Also the spacers where carbon then aluminum then carbon then aluminum.

So I kind of feel like they either didn't give a crap when they fit me or they didn't know how. I also feel like they sold me a stem because I had sucker written on my forehead. Also none of the bolts had lock tight on them. So I also feel like they didn't even put the bike together correctly. Also one of the aero arms was flat on one side because they torque down the arm rest clamp too hard.

Since I had the bike to them I've met some folks and coaches though dfw tri club and that place doesn't have the best reputation. So should I be cheesed off or not? I know, long story...

Answers to your quesitons:
Yes you should be "cheesed off" at Playtri. For your stem, The reason they probably went from the 110/7 to the 90/25 was because of the rise. Bringing you up higher opens you up more. But yes, 90<110. Basic math. Torquing down a headset cap is also very basic maintenance. Playtri does some funky stuff with their fits and I wouldn't recommend getting it there. If you live in Fort Worth, I think its probably safe for you to just learn your own maintenance. I'm not a huge fan of the shops on that side of the metroplex as far as mecahnical issues go. All the shops have their strengths. Bikes inc is a good shop for buying stuff. I love the K&S group rides. Bonzai is usually pretty friendly and has that small shop atmosphere a lot of people like. Etc etc. Remember, PlayTri started as a coaching company, not a bike shop. While I don't agree with a fair number of their coaching methods, that is what their strength is. The Colleyville shop has a really good mechanics (Gilbert), but still, they are coaches, not bike salesmen.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know the fitters at tri shop, they're serious guys. Trent Nix is the guy i would first speak to there. it's his shop.

look, there is not a lot of mystery here, or shouldn't be. we have listed what are reasonable bike fit expectations. i have listed and written about the modern bike fit systems that are in use today.

you're clearly a smart and inquisitive guy, you can read these articles and this will equip you to ask the questions you should ask. ask these questions of your proposed fitter, and if your fitter does not have a fit bike, like a retul, a guru, purely custom, shimano, or exit cycling, then exit the store. he's not ready. he's not really a fitter, he just wants to be a fitter on the cheap. it's that simple.

then, compare your output with that of the typical athlete. does your output fall into a typical range? if not, then ask why. ask yourself why, ask your fitter why, and ask those on this forum why.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take your bike into TriShop on Windhaven and the DNT and Trent or Avram will get you fixed up. I bought a bike from them and got fitted and couldn't be happier. They are top notch. The fitting's aren't cheap, but they are definitely worth the money if you want to be efficient and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If your fitter does not have a fit bike, like a retul, a guru, purely custom, shimano, or exit cycling, then exit the store. he's not ready. he's not really a fitter, he just wants to be a fitter on the cheap."

That is 100% ridiculous. That's the same as saying the guy who shows up on the group ride with the most expensive bike is the fastest guy there. Experience and intelligence matter more than the tool used.

http://www.maggieroses.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree .. Trent Nix and the guys at TriShop are great to work with and they know their stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: should i be cheesed off at Playtri in Mckinney, TX [maggierose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That is 100% ridiculous. That's the same as saying the guy who shows up on the group ride with the most expensive bike is the fastest guy there. Experience and intelligence matter more than the tool used."

you and i will just have to agree to disagree. it's more like going to a tire shop, and the guy doesn't own a tire machine to quickly replace tires on rims. yes, you can do business without a tire machine, you really just need a crowbar. but, why would a tire shop not have a tire machine?

this isn't a binary choice. you don't choose either a fitter with experience, or you choose one with the proper tools. that's really a false choice. i think in this day and age it's reasonable to expect both, and to demand both.

however, i'm willing to come in your direction if you can make your case. can you tell me how these fit tools help? and why, notwithstanding, a fitter can expect to provide a proper service without them?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next