Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sharks attack at IM WA :-)
Quote | Reply
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/...feeding-frenzy-in-wa

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what you meant to say is that there were no shark attacks at IM WA? That this was X days before/after the race and Y miles distant?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire WA coast is exactly like the video. :) It is why Australians are such greats swimmers, we have to swim faster than the sharks.

You yanks should stay at home and let us Aussies get all of the KQ slots at IMWA.

Steep Point is over 1100km from where IMWA is held at Busselton.
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in WA and yeah there are thousands of sharks here, most of the open water races and triathlons are held where fatal shark attacks have occurred, but for whatever reason sharks are rarely spotted at these events and have never hassled or attacked swimmers, so it's not really a concern. We did have a 2.5km open water race cancelled once though, down in Fremantle as a 5m Great White was spotted gnawing on one of the marker buoys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just took the lead in the race for the award for the most misleading thread title of the year. That video is not even about a shark attack on humans, and the sharks feeding on the dead whale had no connection at all with IM Western Australia.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice try but this is 750km from Busselton.

500 miles give or take.

I'm not saying there aren't sharks at Busselton. But this isn't them

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only is it 700+ km from Busselton, it's also 6 months away from the race. In December there is only one shark in Busselton. Be nice to Bruce and don't make him angry.

Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
...and have never hassled or attacked swimmers...

"Hey there, hoooman! Why do you swim so slow?! Maybe quit trying to breath air all the time like a loser! NOW GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY!!!" Shark Thug Life.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
It is why Australians are such greats swimmers, we have to swim faster than the sharks..

You don't have to swim faster than the shark. You just have to swim faster than the next slower swimmer!!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
It is why Australians are such greats swimmers, we have to swim faster than the sharks..

You don't have to swim faster than the shark. You just have to swim faster than the next slower swimmer!!

We just have to swim faster than an American tourist :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each day in Austraila the Ironman wakes up and know he has to swim faster than the fastest shark or he will be eaten. The shark "wakes" up and knows he has to swim faster than the slowest Ironman or he will starve. Either way come morning you better be swimming.

All in pink font.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

HAHA, just have to swim faster than the fat in the wetsuit that looks like a seal.

We had all the Newcastle beaches closed for around a month in mid Summer due to shark sightings, but they haven't been an issue in a triathlon yet.

Generally though they don't attack humans, we are a terrible food source, they were chomping on dolphins for the most part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

That's why we allow INTERNATIONAL to come to Australia and NZ to race.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
Each day in Austraila the Ironman wakes up and know he has to swim faster than the fastest shark or he will be eaten. The shark "wakes" up and knows he has to swim faster than the slowest Ironman or he will starve. Either way come morning you better be swimming.

All in pink font.

So much win in this post. My college swim coach would tell us this quote (albeit in its original form with lions and gazelles) each year. And as a marine bio fan, I like that you knew to put "wakes" up in quotes since sharks don't actually sleep! Props!
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [cjohns716] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original is one of my favorite quotes!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now this shark attack happened much closer to the IMWA location, about 150km.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-01/mandurah-man-ben-gerring-fights-for-life-after-shark-attack/7465142
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay so that ones close.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah another Great White.. I think we are now the shark attack capital of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: sharks attack at IM WA :-) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Yeah another Great White.. I think we are now the shark attack capital of the world.

You guys have seen the shark tracker? http://www.ocearch.org/

Look how close those beasts come to so many championship races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Now this shark attack happened much closer to the IMWA location, about 150km.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-01/mandurah-man-ben-gerring-fights-for-life-after-shark-attack/7465142

Sadly the surfer died in hospital a few days later.

There has been a second fatal shark attack, this time only 5km from where I do my regular ocean swimming.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-06/perth-shark-attack:-baited-drum-lines-to-be-set-off/7479688

Quote Reply