Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sharing a trainer (specifically kickr)
Quote | Reply
Hi all, my wife recently got a road bike and I think will start doing trainer rides pretty regularly, whereas I have been using a powertap wheel and switching my tire out every time I ride inside (pretty often at this point). Given these things, we were considering a kickr or one of the various other direct drive models coming onto the market. But I had a question for those who share a trainer with someone else at home, if you have different setups, is it easy to swap out?

Right now, we're both on 8-speed, but if I were to go 11, while she remains on 8, is it simple enough to swap out the freehub, or would be it easier to just have a wheel-on trainer (I have extra wheels for us, so a trainer like the cycleops magnus or any with fairly accurate power would be good too)? Just trying to find the simplest solution, especially for my wife, who will certainly not have the patience to swap out cassettes and what not if it's too complicated haha.
Last edited by: pgp128: Aug 29, 16 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: sharing a trainer (specifically kickr) [pgp128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i can't answer to your questions because i ve only a bike and my wife hates it but...if you are going to buy a kickr wait some week because wahoo is going to present a new kickr ...probably at eurobike in the next few days.

bye
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key to easy indoor training together is to have the least overhang possible. Swapping cassettes and tyres is a big hassle to do on a weekly basis.

Between me and my partner, we keep two trainers, two trainer wheels (plain old OEM wheels, old cassettes and tyres) and we're both set up in minutes. Before we got the second trainer, we had one 10sp trainer wheel and one 8sp wheel (though now we're both on 10sp) and we'd take turns - but doing a Sufferfest session is much more fun if you've got company.

On a Powertap wheel, changing the cassette is super-quick and easy, though - just keep one 8sp freehub and one 11sp freehub, and they just slide right off.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, it sucks. I got a kickr almost two years ago and it was great. Then in February my wife wanted to start riding the trainer, and being the nice guy, i introduced her to Trainerroad. Life was great and then I lost my kickr and got put on a cyclops with a powertap wheel. It's okay but it's not the same as the kickr. She won't give it up, so if we're both riding I have to use a dumb trainer and dream about the good ole days on my kickr. So, now I just ride whenever she's not around so I can use the kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: sharing a trainer (specifically kickr) [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the wahoo snap. You get the best of both worlds, you get the wahoo and you get the convenience of keeping the tire on.

Swapping out the cassette every week will be a pain.

-Tony Zamora
http://www.endorphinhub.com
USA Triathlon Level 2
Certified Coach
Quote Reply