Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

s80 to 11speed?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone now or have any experience converting a sram s80 10 speed to 11 speed?
Quote Reply
Re: s80 to 11speed? [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not with sram wheels, but I have some experience converting other 8/9/10-spd wheels to being compatible with shimano 11-spd drivetrains. The method is simple and free, the shifting is great, but it does entail a small compromise.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: s80 to 11speed? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you converted your wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: s80 to 11speed? [grind8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grind8 wrote:
How do you convert your wheels?

I didn't really 'convert' them, instead, I easily made a new 'hybrid' cassette that works on 11-speed, but still fits all my old 8/9/10-speed wheels. More details here on this post .

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 20, 14 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe i dont understand but what your doing is taking a 11 speed cassette and taking one gear out and putting it on a 10 speed freehub.

So your still at the same point...riding 10 speed no? perhaps i dont understand your explanation...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a dremel tool to grind the stops on the freehub down. There are a few teams that did this.
Quote Reply
Re: s80 to 11speed? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
maybe i dont understand but what your doing is taking a 11 speed cassette and taking one gear out and putting it on a 10 speed freehub.

So your still at the same point...riding 10 speed no? perhaps i dont understand your explanation...

You're correct that you end up with 10 speeds on an otherwise 11 speed groupset. The issue is that 11 speed chains are norrower than 10 speed (something like 5.6mm v. 5.9 mm). If you put a 10 speed wheel on an 11 group, the shifts from the levers won't make the cog spacing on the 10 speed cassette. Rather than buying a new wheel or re-dishing the existing wheel to allow for the wider 11 speed cassette, you simply use 10 cogs from an 11 speed cassetts so that the shift spacing matches the cassette spacing.

You can grind down the freewheel so that an 11 speed cassette drops down further on to the freewhel, although there is a risk of putting the chain & derailleur too close to the spokes, but it is dependent on the spoke angle & how close the derailleur gets to the spokes on the biggest cog.
Last edited by: nickag: Apr 20, 14 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: s80 to 11speed? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i understand that part but for most wheels, i find it more simple to purchase a camp cassette body and put a 11 speed campy cassette. Then, you end up with a 11 speed group and the shifting is essentially as good...spacing is almost identical.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: s80 to 11speed? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
maybe i dont understand but what your doing is taking a 11 speed cassette and taking one gear out and putting it on a 10 speed freehub. So your still at the same point...riding 10 speed no? perhaps i dont understand your explanation...

I think the issue is that if one gets a new bike or otherwise already has a shimano 11-speed group (not for the benefit of that 11th cog, but because shimano road 10 speed is getting phased out, and shimano 9000 and 6800 have a number of substantial improvements, including improved rear shifting and vastly improved front shifting) but you don't want to buy a whole bunch of new training and/or race wheels.

If that is the case, then it is great to find a way to get your current quiver of 8/9/10 speed wheels to work with the new bike or new set up (could save you thousands of dollars if you're looking at buying new race wheels). The campy cassette substitution is a good idea, but that has some problems. The spacing in campy 11-speed is close but not exactly the same as shimano 11-speed. Plus, the design of the cogs is different from shimano, and shimano cassettes shift a bit better than campy cogs. But more problematic is that most 8/9/10 speed wheels out there cannot be easily retrofitted to accept a campy cassette body.

Greg @ dsw

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 23, 14 5:42
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jonnyo [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my TTR3 training wheels I found a 10spd FLO hub in the classifieds, bought a 11-spd freehub from FLO for it and had the LBS re-lace the wheel all for <$150. Perhaps look at doing the same...

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In the industrie, most company have it very simple to change a cassette body from shimano to campy. 2 allen key and buying the next cassette body and the swap is ver straight forward. Zipp, reynolds, hed, mavic have all there wheels 5min away from been a shimano campy.

my experience using a 11 speed camp cassette on shimano drivetrain is that it was very hard to notice any difference in the spacing. it worked great. I definitely see it as a viable option for many

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can find an s80 campy cassette body, then that is definitely the way to go. As other have stated, campy cassettes work fine with sram/shimano 11 speed.
Quote Reply