Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

run watch
Quote | Reply
I see all the threads on the V800 and 920XT and stuff, but those are the "all purpose" watch to includ swimming. What watch would you all recommend for running/biking (however I have a biking computer...so basically just running).
Quote Reply
Re: run watch [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a VivoActive for running and it perfect (for me) Its really light weight, works with my HR strap and foot pod and the GPS is way better than my 910xt
It also has the bonus of being a mobile connected smart watch/activity tracker
I'm really impressed with it

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: run watch [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Vivoactive (love mine).

If you just want bare bones then the Garmin FR15, but with the Vivoactive it pairs with all your Ant+ sensors and auto uploads workouts to your phone. Plus it's thin enough that it's now my daily watch.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can buy different straps too and there are a few apps and watch faces to download

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Garmin Forerunner 220. Does both pace (running) and mph (biking) if needed. I think it looks pretty good as well so I use it as an everyday watch too. If you are looking for only a GPS watch I would probably go for the Forerunner 10 or 15. Both are decently inexpensive and will function for pace. They may even do MPH/KPH (biking) if you upload to mapmyrun or strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Timex ONE GPS for running. It has built in 3G, so you can upload to Strava, send and receive messages, and use live tracking without running with your phone. It also holds 4 (I think) GB of music, which you can listen to using Bluetooth headphones, so no need to carry an MP3 player either.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that the battery only lasts about 8 hours. Other than that, it's a fantastic running watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more of an offroad multisporter and rock climber, but I highly recommend the Garmin Fenix range. Sturdy, modes for every discipline, not too bulky, and a long battery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love(d) my TomTom Runner, I thought I finally found the ultimate watch.....until it broke yesterday. I've tried them all, Timex, Polar, Nike, whatever. I just wanted a lightweight watch that has a timer and lap function. I could not understand how such watch had to be bulky mass of electronics mixed with heavy plastic, until the superlight Tom Tom came along, with the bonus of having a GPS function. Unfortunately, their navigation button has always been a major flaw to me and low and behold, it just gave up after barely a year of ownership.

Right now, I hate watches maker. I have no clue what to get. The Garmin Vivoactive looks good but I'm not plucking $300 for a watch that's going to break in a year. I'm going to start equaling running watches to headphones.
Last edited by: Baboonator: Aug 30, 15 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: run watch [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All over the board...

Was looking at the Polar V400 as I don't really need/want the swim function (and it sounds like it's hit or miss anyways).

Gotta have teh GPS, nor really for tracking anything other than pace. HR monitor is mandatory. Uhhh...That's about it. I figure with the GPS I can use it on the Bike too (but switch to the bike function...if it has one).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still rocking my Garmin 405!
This thing won't die...

I want the fenix 3 though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
I see all the threads on the V800 and 920XT and stuff, but those are the "all purpose" watch to include swimming. What watch would you all recommend for running/biking (however I have a biking computer...so basically just running).

Here's a vote for the basic Timex Ironman watch: $30 and it will last for 4 yrs or so b/f needing new battery, new battery for around $3 and you're good for another 4 yrs. No GPS but if you've been running awhile you pretty much know your pace, right??? You can use it on the bike if you want, and even on the swim if you ever should get a wild hair and jump in the pool:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: run watch [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the Timex on all points. But I had that watch, it's heavy to the point it is noticeable. No reason why such a basic watch needs to be so heavy. Maybe that's why it is durable.

To OP: if you need all these functions, the TomTom will give you the best bang for your buck in a neat package.
Last edited by: Baboonator: Aug 30, 15 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Casio G-shock or whatever with the timer, which is what i use. And a simple basic HR monitor from Polar. But hate having 2 watches on. Also, AFTER the run I'll know what my pace WAS...but during the run I can tell if I need to pick it up a notch, or whatever. Gives me the "right now" data to how i'm doing to make sure i'm on target (if I have a target...other than to "not die" at the end of it). I've found that sometimes i'm a little slower for whatever reason...and I want to be able to kick my ass into another step or two when that happens. Thats why I wanted teh GPS abilities...and I'm thinking a "charging station" as well...cause changing a battery sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: run watch [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
Agreed on the Timex on all points. But I had that watch, it's heavy to the point it is noticeable. No reason why such a basic watch needs to be so heavy. Maybe that's why it is durable.
To OP: if you need all these functions, the TomTom will give you the best bang for your buck in a neat package.

Heavy??? Are we talking same watch, the basic Timex Ironman with 30 to 100 lap memory??? I'm holding mine in my hand as i type this and it can't be more than 3 ounces at the most. I've never felt it was any heavier than your "average" watch, but then i've never worn a "TomTom" so perhaps i don't know what a really light watch feels like. I've never worn a Garmin either but, just looking at their size, I would think the Garmin is a bit heavier than the Timex.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
I have the Casio G-shock or whatever with the timer, which is what i use. And a simple basic HR monitor from Polar. But hate having 2 watches on. Also, AFTER the run I'll know what my pace WAS...but during the run I can tell if I need to pick it up a notch, or whatever. Gives me the "right now" data to how i'm doing to make sure i'm on target (if I have a target...other than to "not die" at the end of it). I've found that sometimes i'm a little slower for whatever reason...and I want to be able to kick my ass into another step or two when that happens. Thats why I wanted the GPS abilities...and I'm thinking a "charging station" as well...cause changing a battery sucks.

+1000 on the two watches, that is just too much. I did that for about 2 months when i wore an HRM religiously. My feeling is that the heart rate data just results in data overload, as distance and pace are really all one needs, and it can be argued that just running for time works for 95% of your training, with just 5% timed hard efforts. Just my $0.02, YMMV, do what you like:)

Edited to add: I tend to run the same measured courses over and over again, so i would only need GPS if running in a new area that is unmarked for running. On those rare occasions when i encounter this, it is kind of liberating just to run X min out, then try go X - 1 min back. Assuming your turnaround point is not at the top of a big hill, then you'd be negative splitting the run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
I have the Casio G-shock or whatever with the timer, which is what i use. And a simple basic HR monitor from Polar. But hate having 2 watches on. Also, AFTER the run I'll know what my pace WAS...but during the run I can tell if I need to pick it up a notch, or whatever. Gives me the "right now" data to how i'm doing to make sure i'm on target (if I have a target...other than to "not die" at the end of it). I've found that sometimes i'm a little slower for whatever reason...and I want to be able to kick my ass into another step or two when that happens. Thats why I wanted the GPS abilities...and I'm thinking a "charging station" as well...cause changing a battery sucks.

+1000 on the two watches, that is just too much. I did that for about 2 months when i wore an HRM religiously. My feeling is that the heart rate data just results in data overload, as distance and pace are really all one needs, and it can be argued that just running for time works for 95% of your training, with just 5% timed hard efforts. Just my $0.02, YMMV, do what you like:)

Edited to add: I tend to run the same measured courses over and over again, so i would only need GPS if running in a new area that is unmarked for running. On those rare occasions when i encounter this, it is kind of liberating just to run X min out, then try go X - 1 min back. Assuming your turnaround point is not at the top of a big hill, then you'd be negative splitting the run.

Pretty much EXACTLY my case. I run the same course. I know where I "should be" time wise at a few spots...but after that my brain doesn't remember shit. That's teh only reason i was thinking "pace" would be nice. Give me a general idea on what i'm looking at to see if i'm dogging it. The HR monitor I wear...and people RAVE about HR training (yeah, I know its Power meters now on the bike)...but I do as you do and sometimes think the HR data is just an overload (or bullshit). But i'm trying to stick to it since it was highly recommended. I know there are smarter people than I out there that swear by it...so...that's why I want a "pace and HR" watch.

Like I said, I liked the Polar V400...but that replacing the battery...that's a deal breaker. So then comes garmin with a chargin cradle...but which one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got the new Garmin Forerunner 225, the one with the built in HR sensor, i.e. no strap (I HATE wearing the strap) needed. I like a lot!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think mine was a bigger one, it just felt heavy, even more so when it was hot. I really like the light design of the Tomtom (and the Garmin VA now). Those are under 1.5oz as far as I know, I noticed that difference.
Last edited by: Baboonator: Aug 30, 15 15:33
Quote Reply