Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016
Quote | Reply
Theres been some talk lately of intentional and unintentional course cutting. Looks like some of the unintentional variety here which has affected the front of the race.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=cartagena70.3&y=2016#axzz4RpOkVjp7

Quote:
We believe that the pro men's field had likely gone off course early in the run and have missed a portion of the 21 km's. We will refrain from reporting the men's run time splits until the matter can be resolved at the conclusion of the run. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Quote:
We believe that some of the women's field had likely gone off course too in the run and have missed a portion of the 21 km's. We will refrain from reporting the women''s run time splits until the matter can be resolved at the conclusion of the run. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
Theres been some talk lately of intentional and unintentional course cutting. Looks like some of the unintentional variety here which has affected the front of the race.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=cartagena70.3&y=2016#axzz4RpOkVjp7

Quote:
We believe that the pro men's field had likely gone off course early in the run and have missed a portion of the 21 km's. We will refrain from reporting the men's run time splits until the matter can be resolved at the conclusion of the run. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Quote:
We believe that some of the women's field had likely gone off course too in the run and have missed a portion of the 21 km's. We will refrain from reporting the women''s run time splits until the matter can be resolved at the conclusion of the run. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Not that rare. First year race, things happen. Doesn't mean they should but I always expect something to not go perfectly the first time thru. 5-6 guys went off course last year at Ironman Texas 70.3 last year (almost 2 years now) when the race has been around for a long time.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Dec 4, 16 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't their bikes alongside the lead runners? Sounds like WTC amateur hour in Cartagena.
Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Aren't their bikes alongside the lead runners? Sounds like WTC amateur hour in Cartagena.

This year there was a change. Lead bikers are supposed to NOW stay behind the runners. Not sure if that was the case here. Regardless, I had a lead motto this year take the wrong turn on a bike course. I made the correct turn. Once I made the turn the motto 180 and got back on course. Fortunately I had just pre-road the course 3 days prior and I knew the course.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Dec 4, 16 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes this was a mess.

Swim was delayed 45min because they had to clear boats from the harbour, or something on the bike course which is what they told us while we hung out waiting. Start cannon from the iconic navy ship went off 5 strokes into the swim haha.

We are all waiting to hear what the results are. Not sure if the front guys made a wrong turn or the course was modified before they got there. In any case, when I got to the point in question, I was in ~8th, ~10min I think down, and the run course director was out there redirecting runners. He had moved the cones, even moved the tape arrows. When we came around for the second loop, the course had been reverted to its original layout, and I along with those behind me, did a full second loop. The top 5 only ran about 10k it seems.

This all happened to the women too. Looks like the only ones who did a full 21k were those a little further back, avoiding the course jigging.

We're meeting later today to hear a final verdict.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Yes this was a mess.

Swim was delayed 45min because they had to clear boats from the harbour, or something on the bike course which is what they told us while we hung out waiting. Start cannon from the iconic navy ship went off 5 strokes into the swim haha.

We are all waiting to hear what the results are. Not sure if the front guys made a wrong turn or the course was modified before they got there. In any case, when I got to the point in question, I was in ~8th, ~10min I think down, and the run course director was out there redirecting runners. He had moved the cones, even moved the tape arrows. When we came around for the second loop, the course had been reverted to its original layout, and I along with those behind me, did a full second loop. The top 5 only ran about 10k it seems.

This all happened to the women too. Looks like the only ones who did a full 21k were those a little further back, avoiding the course jigging.

We're meeting later today to hear a final verdict.

Sounds like quite the mess. The biggest one I had ever been apart of was at Desert Classic Duathlon a few years back, can't remember if Rapp was there that year but Jason Pederson won it. I remember some guys got so lost in the Desert, signs had blow down, that like the Hoff disappeared and ran like 2-3x the length of the actual course. These sort of things can be real mental challenges and especially at the end of a long season. Keep us posted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some updates:

Quote:
TOP 10 Pro Women - Finish
1 4:23:20 Lauren Goss
2 4:23:47 0:28 Jeanni Seymour
3 4:31:14 7:55 Kesley Withrow
4 4:33:48 10:29 Diana Castillo Franco
5 4:35:28 12:09 Sarah Cameto
6 4:39:17 15:58 Allison Linnell
7 4:46:04 22:45 Laurel Wassner
8 4:54:47 31:27 Fiorella Dcroz
9 4:58:59 35:40 Fiama Rodriguez
10 4:59:49 36:30 Julie Patterson

Quote:
The official men's results have not been finalized at this time. We apologize for the delay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the woman's race was clean. Didn't seem like it out there but who knows...

Men's race is now split in two. One for 11.2km run and one for 16.2km run.

Prize money awarded to both groups as normal. First group is three people, second has remaining finishers.

Of note is second place in 16.2 group actually ran full distance. However they have used the 16.2km split to determine ranking. That person is the rightful winner imo.

By all accounts I have heard, the top 5 went off course on their own. After that, the run course director redirected everyone afterwards to follow them, then changed the course again for the second lap and it seems most women and of course age groupers.

As per rules, they should have been disqualified immediately. Either pulled off course or at the finish line. Those who were sent off course by Ironman staff should not be DQed, again as per rules.

In the end, no one will be happy with any decision.

Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I was running second at the time and was ushered up the ramp. I tried to go the course, but was prevented from doing so. On the second loop I was running in first and was directed by the run course director to do the full lap (which I did), and the 3 guys behind me were told to do the partial lap (assuming the director thought they were still on the first lap).

The reason that no one was DQd was because everyone did what they were told by IM staff to do...that is what made it such a tough situation. Mario was running in 5th on the first loop and ran the shortened first loop with all of us, then added a 3rd small loop at the end to get to the 13.1 miles so did not run the official course either.

I think the results are the best case for everyone given a tough situation. Not sure who told you that we went off course on our own...not sure what happened with the leader on the first loop, but I was certainly directed up the ramp on the first loop.
Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That clears it up!
I heard what I wrote from a few others, talking post race. But obviously not correct, all heresay.

I'm just bummed we didn't get a smoother race. Despite the crazy heat and humidity, it's a fun course and interesting location.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
That clears it up!
I heard what I wrote from a few others, talking post race. But obviously not correct, all heresay.

I'm just bummed we didn't get a smoother race. Despite the crazy heat and humidity, it's a fun course and interesting location.

So I know Matt messaged and said he was co-winner? What do the rest of the results with. Are you saying there are 2 complete podiums???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes two podiums.
I don't want to post the results yet in case there are changes.

Race 1 with 11.2km run contains only three finishers. Race 2, 14 finishers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman just needs to make it right now and pay the women just like the men. I was the 3rd female so it makes a huge difference. Jeanie atleast did the correct distance and then some but going by the rules, everyone should be DQ'd that didnt do the exact course. Thats clearly not happening so the women should be payed just like the men.
Last edited by: superfit08: Dec 6, 16 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [superfit08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superfit08 wrote:
Ironman just needs to make it right now and pay the women just like the men. I was the 3rd female so it makes a huge difference. Jeanie atleast did the correct distance and then some but going by the rules, everyone should be DQ'd that didnt do the exact course. Thats clearly not happening so the women should be payed just like the men.

According to this prize money distribution is the same between men and women. Is the way they are handling the screw-up changing that somehow?

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz4S4yYDj6U

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: run course issues at IRONMAN 70.3 Cartagena - Dec 4th 2016 [superfit08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%.
Not sure what led them to the decision on the women's race. It got just as whack.

Did you run the full distance? Correct course or altered? How many women were affected by the on-the-fly changes?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the whole course, as well as all of the other women except Jeanni. Rules are rules but clearly IronMan is not following the. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well actually, the rules are that if you don't run the correct course on your own accord or follow the directions of a volunteer, you will be DQ'ed. We (the men) were redirected by Tom, run course director - rules state that you must follow Ironman Staff directions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF thats the case then Jeanni screwed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
superfit08 wrote:
IF thats the case then Jeanni screwed.
the correct route was into town, then the wall, then back to T2 and repeat. The final 400 metres was an out and back with a 180 200 metres up the road. All the women did the course as prescribed, except Jeanni. She went wall (misdirected, not her fault), T2, town, wall, town, T2, was about to win by 4 minutes - and I think that win would have stood - but then she blew past the 180 into the finish and ran an extra 1200 metres. There was some talk that she'd done 3 walls but I only had 2 scans for her on the wall so I don't see how that could have happened unless she turned around part way along the wall. So that's why there aren't two women's winners.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply