Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

riding around Monterey (CA)
Quote | Reply
I will be a week in Monterey for cycling and running BigSur Marathon.
Anybody from this area? I am browsing through several sites to download some nice bike courses to do with my road bike from 70 to 140km, possibly hilly.
Is the coastal road 1 safe to ride? better towards north or south?
Quote Reply
Re: riding around Monterey (CA) [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I visited there in 2013, stayed at Asilomar, which does not allow bikes in the rooms I found out after shipping my bike there. (Oops.) Cycling 17 mile Drive and through Carmel by the Sea was wonderful. Great views and a nice ride. South of that #1 did not seem safe. I ride in traffic all the time, and I felt #1 was too dangerous for me, so I bailed on it. I did a nice ride inland, which you can view here.

Again, while I saw loaded bikes touring, I would avoid #1. Cars and truck fly on that road, and it is pretty narrow south of Carmel by the Sea.

Also, I had some trouble with routes I downloaded. Some of the roads were closed and I had to search for alternatives. Or these people were riding on private roads some.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Last edited by: GT: Apr 17, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: riding around Monterey (CA) [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great ride. thanks. I will do this one, it seems nice, hopefully not much traffic.

I will be at this place
which seems to be nice, isolated cottages and on Asilomar Blvd like your place. Hopefully no issues with the bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple people from our party stayed there, since they brought a dog. It seemed nice. Asilomar has restrictive rules because they are a state park. Not the first time I have experienced that at a state run hotel/park.

That whole area is beautiful. I recommend kayaking on Monterrey Bay, visiting the Aquarium, and a whale watching tour.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People do ride Route 1, but there's no consistent shoulder and tourists can be pretty distracted, so I'd avoid it. It's also closed farther south due to a collapsed bridge that's going to take many months to rebuild.

The coastal bike path from Castroville in the North to Pacific Grove (but you can add Pebble in the south) is decent, and parts of it are gorgeous, except for the two or so miles in Monterey and Pacific Grove where it's clogged with tourists, but it's pretty easy to navigate through them at slower speed or hop on the road.

Asilomar and Pebble Beach (17 mile drive) are stunningly gorgeous, and have a dedicated bike lane, but can be windy. Weaving through Pebble you can log a lot of mileage, light traffic and great scenery and ridiculous houses to check out.

Carmel Valley Road and Highway 68 both have shoulders and are good ways to log mileage, and you can connect them over Laureles Grade, a gorgeous climb, though no consistent shoulder and speedy drivers, but it's manageable.

Robinson Canyon off Carmel Valley Road is a fantastic climb.

Ft Ord, in addition to having tons of good moderate mountain biking, has paved roads and rolling terrain full of small and some bigger hills, on which you can easily do a 20 miles, with no cars, and in a gorgeous natural setting, though the chip-seal is rough after not having been paved for maybe 20 years.
Quote Reply