Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

returning garmin to rei post 1 year
Quote | Reply
anybody have any luck returning item with recipt past the 'exact' one year mark?.... like a year and a couple days from purchase date. Looking through tri gear and have a garmin 220 used only a handful of times now just sitting in original box with receipt....

Mason
Quote Reply
Re: returning garmin to rei post 1 year [Dash_nic_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give it a try. REI is usually pretty good with returns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it. They are amazing with their return policy. I returned a FitBit after a year, no receipt (but I'm a member and they have my purchase history) and they refunded me without question.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply
Re: returning garmin to rei post 1 year [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went for it! Lucky me..... They were willing to do an exchange which I was more than happy to do as the 910xts were on sale... So less than 20$ later, I had the watch I've always wanted. I will continue to go to rei for this reason, they were understanding and helpful.

Mason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill chime in that REI is awesome. I was given a fitbit as a gift, and it broke, 8 months later i returned it with no receipt, just giving the email of the person who bought it. I am also a member and have gotten way more money back than i spent for the membership. Love that place.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rei is great, glad you had a good experience.
Quote Reply
Re: returning garmin to rei post 1 year [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so let me sum up why rei is "great". they pretty much let me return/exchange anything I buy. pretty low bar but hey each to their own I guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And this is why, overall prices are high. There is no free lunch, a business has to maintain its profit margin. So you purchase a product you want, nothing wrong with it, not broken or performing as not expected, but hey you should get a new one.
Would you do this if I bought it from you through ebay and wanted an exchange?
I get it, its good for REI for future business, but dont complain on the price of goods
Quote Reply
Re: returning garmin to rei post 1 year [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REI's return policy is VERY generous. I'll hit their "garage sales" once in a while, where they sell off returned items. Some of the stuff I saw actually made me almost angry on their behalf. Running clothes that had obviously been worn dozens of times, returned for "deoderant stains," worn out running shoes, heavily abused GPS watches, and kids Winter clothes that had been through several seasons that "didn't fit."

In my opinion, they'll take back almost anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
And this is why, overall prices are high. There is no free lunch, a business has to maintain its profit margin. So you purchase a product you want, nothing wrong with it, not broken or performing as not expected, but hey you should get a new one.

Would you do this if I bought it from you through ebay and wanted an exchange?
I get it, its good for REI for future business, but dont complain on the price of goods

the business model seems to be working for them. Didn't they just recently change their return policy from "whenever" to one year?
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...gh-2014#.VenF9BFVhBc

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: returning garmin to rei post 1 year [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and as I said why we pay higher prices. There is no free lunch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:

But what "high prices" are you referring to here? REI's prices are all MSRP (the same as all other retailers) and for members you get the 10% annual dividend. So despite their liberal return policy, REI's prices are essentially 10% on average below market. And these are the two reasons why I buy my stuff from REI over other retailers.

p.s. I have never returned anything to REI after more than 7 days, and all the stuff I returned were new.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: returning garmin to rei post 1 year [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked for one of there competitors also. REI overall has a higher margin than most. Especially when you add clothing. Listen, there is no thing as a free lunch. If the lose money by being liberal on returns they have to make it up elsewhere.
Example, a major U.S.A boot company changed there return policy of boots to 30 day , for any reason. To offset they sold their socks and inserts at 65% mark up than 50%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On another topic, last winter they had some really good fat skis on sale. These skis were the hottest and latest powder planks available and were highly rated in the industry. They were selling a few sets and I noticed one of the skis had an ever so slightly little itsy bitsy chip on the laminate. That chip would really not make a difference in skiing and you would have gotten that chip within 50 feet after getting off the lift.

I pointed it out to the sales person and he called his manager. They gave it to me 25% off right there. Nice!

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: returning garmin to rei post 1 year [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
Kenney wrote:

But what "high prices" are you referring to here? REI's prices are all MSRP (the same as all other retailers) and for members you get the 10% annual dividend. So despite their liberal return policy, REI's prices are essentially 10% on average below market. And these are the two reasons why I buy my stuff from REI over other retailers.

p.s. I have never returned anything to REI after more than 7 days, and all the stuff I returned were new.

And if you get an REI credit card (which has no yearly dues/fees) then you get an extra 5% off. So really, everything in the store (excluding sale/clearance items) is 15% off of the listed price. Of course you have to wait to get that 15% back which some may not be a fan of.

I think I've returned two used items over the past 6 years because they didn't hold up. One was a tire where the sidewall blew out while JRA after less than 100 miles and the other was a Hydroflask where the cap wouldn't tighten anymore. It does drive me nuts when I hear of people bringing back items after years of use because they were done with it, so I thought the move to a 1 year policy was good

Matt
Quote Reply